Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bum deal on a motor I bought

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THR1LL3R, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Over a year ago I was working out a trade on some shoeboxs part with an older gentleman (not a hamber) but still a super nice older gentlemen...So I told him about my Model A project and at the time I already had a low mile running 292 I bought and pulled out of a truck from a fellow Hamber. He shows me this "great running 312" that would be way better for my project,so cash exchanges hands and I have a new yblock for my Model A coupe... So fast forward to a month ago and I decided I would sell my "312" and my 6x2 dragstar intake in order to get my Model A parts stock going and just run the 292 I have. I had a buyer lined up cash in hand ready to go...but we did some research and its turns out its a 1955 272 ... :mad: So I bought a motor I didn't even need that wasn't even what I was told it was and really not sure it runs at this point. Ive contacted him sent him emails pics of numbers and all that and all he seems to say is "the guy I got it from said is was,dang I guess its not". If it truly runs I could still use it but I feel like it was sold to me under false pretense and I wouldnt have even bought it if I knew it was a 272... I know I should have researched the motor a little better but the guy was good with the previous deals. How should I approach him on this bum deal? I feel like it I would have made a mistake like this I would be responsible for paying someone their money back...

2. I have to say too much time elapsed...

3. Caveat emptor. I know i got the spelling wrong, but you know what I'm talking about.....

4. yea really? so you bought a motor did zero research and the after a long time you found it was wrong? maybe he was told it was a 312 did zero research? you should get the contact number for the guy he bought it from..

5. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

Well, I would sure want my money back on that deal. I'm not a Ford Y block guy but is it worth any thing close to what a 312 is? Mabey you could just sell it to sombody that wants a 292 and make out OK. Normal Norman

6. I wasn't really expecting all the money back maybe a couple of parts to even the deal up a little. I know it's been a while but a man word is worth more that any amount of money in my opinion. He has no contact to the previous owner.

7. Cortney

Cortney

I agree with jim1932. If the "misunderstanding" was only a week or two out, then maybe a refund would be in order. I would tear it down and see what you really have to work with so that you can be honest with whomever you may sell it to in the future. Just my .02!

8. 55nailhead

55nailhead

Maybe he didnt know what he was selling and you didnt find out what you were buying. No one to blame but yourself. He very well could have been straight up and not trying to scam you.

9. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

This kind of stuff is tough all the way around. Seems like the guy that sold you the engine was under a false pretense too from the guy he got it from. Anyway that's all the info you have now, facts are facts. Save yourself some grief and try to sell it for what it is, a '55 272, make the best deal you can, and move on. I hope it's a good running engine with good compression, you may come close to breaking even. Good luck.

10. Never said he scammed me, it's his lack of care that he sold something that he new nothing about. I myself would feel terrible

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

A year and no warranty or anything else? I think you're stuck.

12. chaddilac

chaddilac

Gotta do your own due diligence!!!

13. Lesson learned? Make sure you run the numbers, and check the compression/hear it run before you buy it! No matter how good of a word someone has, they may not have had the correct info before, and you need to make sure yourself. Sell it for what you know it is, and move on.

14. Racewriter

Racewriter

Yep. As the seller, how would I even know that it's the same engine? Caveat Emptor is exactly right. Buying used parts ain't Walmart.

15. Haha tipical... how do you not its not a different motor? Cause I'm not a dishonest prick.

16. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

I had a similar thing happen to me. a "good used" motor I picked up ended up not so good. and only a few weeks had gone by when I figured it out. I informed the seller, but I received no refund.

anytime you lose money it sucks and its easy to feel cheated, but try not to spend a lot of time thinking about it. that is time you will never get back.

I hope things work out for you.
    David

17. Absolutely...

18. Mike Rotch

Mike Rotch
    from Easley SC

You shouldn't.

19. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Sorry to hear it, but you waited a year too long to do your research. That should have been done BEFORE you bought it from the guy.

20. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

But you are whining a bit too much...........buck up and take resposnibility for not doing more checking before you bought it.....yes, you didn't get what you expected....nobody is happy when that occurs, but it happens.

Ray

21. terryr

terryr
    from earth

Used is used. I put 'as is where is' on the bill whenever I sell something.

On the other hand, it's a well known fact that people are assholes. And scammers are always friendly. They have to be.

22. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Suck it up and realize that you just learned another lesson in life. Check everything out next time you want to do something like this. I sure feel you pain though....

23. rld14

rld14

I've been hunting for a good used Y block for my 54 Ford, can't say that the 272s/292s seem to cost much different from each other. Either way it's probably a, what, $100 core to maybe $500 or so if it runs good?

I also agree with caveat emptor, there's threads on here and at least two websites that I've seen with Y block casting # references.

If it was last week, yeah I'd say you have a reasonable argument but after a year? Gotta go with the masses on this one, sorry man. On the bright side I don't think you're really out much financially tho.

If it was advertised as a 312 I'd be flipping mad, them things be really spendy.

24. Seems like everyobne pretty much agrees.

Personally I dont buy shit unless I know what I am buying ... all you had to do probably was to pull one plug to validate his claim .... lesson learned.

25. How come everytime some seems to ask a question or advice on a topic some shit brick comes out of thè wood work and has to take shots?
    I was asking a question and stated my opinion. I'm not whining just sharing my thoughts about buying and selling... I do alot of it on here.

26. Lurker McGurk

Lurker McGurk
    BANNED
    from next door

Friend of mine bought a 292, sold it, and the guy that bought it discovered it was a 312,
    (you have to take em' apart and look at numbers inside) so my friend kinda' lost out.
    You bought what you thought was a 312 and discovered it's a 272.
    Sometimes your the bug, and sometimes your the windshield.

27. I get it, some time I buy things they sit for a while and then I get back to them.
    I talk to this guy quite a bit off and on So it wasn't like I called him up outta the blue. Been dealing with him for some time. Shit happens I'm over it just can believe that it didn't seem to phase him that he did it and wonder how much he has sold that he didn't know about, hell he might have sold a 32 as a model A. Guess I will have to watch future deals with him.
    Thanks guys...

28. That is true, but doesnt apply in this case. The 292/312 outside casting numbers (by the oil filter) are the same and the (inside) main cap numbers are the identifiying factor ... whereas the casting number on the 272 is a dead give away ... if the OT researched that he would have known what he was looking at.

He will know next time.

29. My crank has the half moon cut, that's how he new it was a 312 he says lol..

30. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Tough situation......but with the time passed, I also would just let it go.....
    Cheers.........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.