Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Monkeys car...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mopar Jack, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I took these in 2008 at the "Barn Show".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Nice to know its in good hands...

3. subdajj

subdajj

^ x2

4. BISHOP

BISHOP

That Monkees car looks drunk.

5. so does anyone have pics of it being built? i know they used 2 gtos to build the first did they also use 2 gtos for the other two or did they do glass molds off the first?

6. Jimm56

Jimm56

7. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

The first band I was in was a Monkees cover band but we didn't call it a "cover" band in those days. I played rhythm guitar, and we really sucked! I,I,I,I'm not your steppin' sto-one! Catch you on the other side Davey RIP. Normal Norman

8. Jen......

Jen......

rip daveys

you will always be my favorite monkees

Jen

9. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

10. How many people know that Micky Dolenz auditioned for the role of "Fonzy" in Happy Days?

How different would that show have been!?!?

I met Micky Dolenz in the mid 90's at the Clutch Artists Autorama in Buffalo when my Harley was in the show. Nice guy!

I never had the pleasure to meet Davy Jones although I heard he didn't live too far away in PA.

I'm certainly gonna miss him.

11. flyin-t

flyin-t

And Stephen Stills auditioned for the Monkees, he was Peter Tork's room mate.

12. Gator

Gator

Dean Jeffries was at the Detroit Autorama this weekend. He had the Manta Ray on display and was autographing pics of the Monkee's GTO and the Green Hornet's car for fans - I got one for my buddy Rick. Cool guys, had me and Detroit Poorboy Matt cracking up.

13. Rem

Rem

"Hey Hey We're the Monkees" is just playing on the radio - they were big over here too in my pre-teen years :eek:

Always loved the car - it was the sort of thing that probably got me into hot rods and customs, now I come to think about it.

RIP Davey

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

15. jpm49c

jpm49c

16. Gromit

Gromit

I laughed so hard at that it bears more than just a LOL... very good.

17. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

The show played for only two years. Watched every one. RIP, Davey.

18. jpm49c

jpm49c

This is one on e bay it has tan interior and same signed glove box. The others had white int.

19. SlamIam

SlamIam

RIP Davy. Last Train to Clarksville was my one of my favorites. Didn't care for the Monkeemobile at all.

20. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Thank you !

21. Watching that show as a kid, I loved that car. Not so much now....

Back in the late '70s, I recall seeing a picture of Barris posing with a few of his cars (the Batmobile, and the Munster Coach) and the Monkeemobile was in the same shot. I learned later that Barris was taking credit for the car, and most people had no clue that Dean Jefferies was the original builder. Barris did that alot, I understand.

22. Yep!

I was one of them. :eek:

23. koolkemp

koolkemp

Loved them and the show in the early/mid 70's when it was in re-runs > My aunt (RIP) gave me all of her original albums cuase she had outgrown them...I so badly wanted to build a model of the car back then but it was either not available of out of production.RIP Davy.

24. 62hotcat

62hotcat

im a bereaver

25. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

While at the gym, the news mentioned the passing of Davy Jones. They said Barris was going to be interviewed because he built the Monkeemobile.

26. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I respect Dean as much as any of the major builders of his era and any other. In my opinion, the Mantaray still stands as the best car to ever come out of the period.

But he seriously compromised his excellent taste in styling when he conceived that nightmare Monkeemobile. He did prove that he could be a player in Barris' 60's world of clown cars and on that level, I suppose, it succeeds.

I hadn't heard of Davey's passing before I read it here either. The Monkees were completely contrived. Mike Nesmith was the only musician of the bunch, the rest were actors. He doesn't participate in Monkee reunions because (a) he plays his own brand of country music and (b) he doesn't need the money because he owns the Liquid Paper Company. Mike dreamed up the Head movie which was basically a music video decades before there videos or MTV.

27. slingshot392

slingshot392

RIP Davey.

I'm 49 so I was a little too young for the original run of the series, but I loved watching the reruns on Saturday morning and one of the first albums I bought was the double album set offered during the show. They are still one of my favorite groups.

28. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

None of the Monkees were true Musicians when they were first casted but a miracle occurred and they became true Musicians. Mickey Dolenz always compares it to Nimoy really growing "Spock" ears. Also, it was Nesmith's mother who invented Liquid Paper.

29. 117harv

117harv

Not to be rude but, you need your eyes checked. It was a different time and wild customs were in, it was all in fun, i think the car is awesome, seeing it brings back great childhood memories:)

30. 59 brook

59 brook

just saw it at the miami auto show in nov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.