Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which Ford Motor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by classicdreamer, Feb 28, 2012.

1. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

About to start building a shoebox. Cant decide on what motor to put in. Only know it HAS to be ford. What would be your choice? Buying the project with no motor or trans. Being that I like everything fast and a bunch of torque, my only requirements.

2. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

put a 460 in her and call it a day. plenty of power and torque.

3. 351 Clevland if you want fast and stout.

FE if you want loads of low end grunt.

430 MEL is also a good choice.

If you want true traditional and scoot down the road as well I would be after an early cad V-8. But it is not Ford just traditional. ya gotta love a Fordillac.

4. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

When I bought my '50 shoebox project, it had a Caddy 365 from back in the day. That motor will be rebuilt and put back in when I build that car.

If you're dead set on a ford, I would go y-block(preferably 312) or a flathead.

5. id run either a flathead or a 289,302,351w if you want a cruiser and alittle less problems getting them to fit

if thats not a concern id run an FE

6. smarg

smarg

DOHC 4.6 out of you know what.

Aftermarket is huge for go fast parts.

7. moefuzz

moefuzz

A 429 ThunderJet from any late 60's early 70's Tbird will get you 365 stock hp and 450 feet pounding torque, heads from 69-73 are preffered with 70 D0VE and 71 D1VE being best of the best)
    And I do believe you can still find a Ford auto overdrive from a late model 460 powered truck to bolt onto your ThunderJet.

Throw ~$1600 dollars at it in the form of a 500+ cubic inch stroker crank/rods/pistons/kit and you will be pulling the front wheels off the ground.

-For the price of a rebuild plus the SCAT Crank kit you'll be in the torque stratosphere.

8. xxzzy999

xxzzy999

Good article about Ford stroker motors in latest issue (April) of Hot Rod mag. They cover the latest small block 363 stroker which would be a good choice.

I'd go with a stroked small block to take advantage of the gain in torque which will help get that ~3500 pound beast moving down the road or track.

Regards,
    X

9. metal man

metal man

Y-block baby! They're pretty and sound great.

10. terryble

terryble
    from canada

I know what NYC weather can be like so you will need a heater, if you are using the stock 49-51 heater (they work awsome by the way) you will need heater motor clearance if you want to avoid a lot of changes. I used a 351W motor and had to find a shorter heater motor for it to work. From my experience I would recommend a 302W (do I dare to suggest EFI and AOD tranmission here).

11. In my opinion a low compression 460 will do the job. Today's gas is bad and getting worse.:( A 9.5 to 1 compression big block will still give you some good torque numbers and still run on 89 octane.
    Shameless plug warning::eek:
    We are a full service engine shop with a motor like that in stock!
    http://www.pro-formancespecialties.com/
    1969 block, Genuine CJ rods with Milodon bolts,
    Speed-Pro / TRW forged pistons, Motorsports RV camshaft,
    Weiand Stealth intake, Quick-Fuel 750 Vacuum, Billet Electronic distributor.
    Dynoed in house and delivered to your door: $5200

12. magneto57

magneto57

1958 ford 410............!!

13. I had a '46 Coupe that had one of everything in it while I owned it. The first engine it had in it was a 331 cad. it was also the last engine it had in it while I owned it. it was just correct.

But it did have a built to the hilt 351 clevland in it at one time as well. i was a lot faster with the Clevland than the cad, but the cad was just a better mill for the car. it is something that cannot be explained you just would have had to be there.

14. Y Block for my vote, they are a damn good motor and look great dressed up as well.

15. tjm73

tjm73

What do you want out of the engine? Torque? Horsepower? Mileage? Would be easier to make a recommendation if you shared your goals.

16. turdytoo

turdytoo

Takes lots of dollars and you have to build the car around the motor.

17. 427 Ford FE side oiler 2 4brl's and a six speed trans.What the hell go for it.

18. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

A 289/302/351W will fit right in with little effort . Mount kits are available , and loads of go-fast stuff everywhere . I've got a 302 in mine , and I'm building another with a friend who's running a 351W .

19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

A tri-power Y-block, it was good enough for Lucas Doolin.

20. I had a 3 duece Y block in my '55, loved it.

21. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

How about a LINCOLN Y-Block?????

[​IMG]

22. 55delray

55delray
    from Florida

classic, porknbeaner has it right. although the BBFs have a lot of following, if you plan to put a/c and other accessories so the car is truly drivable, then the 302 with an AOD is the smart choice.

23. Willy301

Willy301

I am a 351W fan, HP and TQ are more than adequate, go fast parts are very readily available. It will certainly bring life to that shoebox!

24. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

I've said it before, I'll say it again the 385 series big block Ford (429-460) is the best bang for the buck you can get bar none.

sidenote: Matt we have to talk I am a former Rochesterian and we may share a common interest in Ford stuff. I used to work at Fred Walker Ford way back when. Planning a visit last week of March, maybe I'll swing by your shop and "bend your ear" for a minute. Your FED looks very cool!

25. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you a DRIVER?---OR a drive in guy?
    If you are a driver, then face up to todays gas prices & enjoy a sbf 289 stocker.
    If you are a "Rump-Rump" artist, run the BIG 460!

26. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

I am and will always be someone who will try to put the pedal an additional 3 inches below the floor. My avatar has a fully built 327 that may on a great day get 8mpg. Looking for something reliable, fast and period correct-ish.

27. smarg

smarg

Might as well build another 327.

28. Don Martin

Don Martin
    from West Tenn

312 3 2's thunderbird valve covers

29. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Reliable and period correct for a shoebox - Flathead, just not that fast.

Reliable, period correct, and mildly fast - Y-Block

Reliable, period correct, and fairly fast - Lincoln Y-Block

Reliable and Fast - FE or MEL, just slightly period correct (both introduced in '58)

Good Luck.

30. BACAGrizz

BACAGrizz

289 with a c-4.