Register now to get rid of these ads!

Exploring Arizona- abandoned, wrecked cars & trucks, old hiways, etc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by applekrate, Feb 9, 2012.

1. phat rat

phat rat

No it isn't a 40 Chevy. This is a 40 Chevy

Attached Files:

2. cac646

cac646

YUP, sure is, it's probly 3/8 of a mile off the road on a grade I can barely walk down though... It'd take a LOT to get it.

3. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

Love this thread! Keep the pics coming guys!

4. mxrcr222

mxrcr222

Here's one from John Day oregon. Part of a historic farm so you cant take parts or anything. I plan on roadtripping from Oregon to Yuma soon, thanks for all the heads up on this thread. The GF and I will for sure be on the lookout.

[​IMG]

5. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

These aren't ravine finds but I spotted them today not too far from Prescott and thought they're worth posting.
    The sedan was visible from the road. The truck cabs were spotted while hiking. All are on private property.
    Looking fwd. to exploring w. you guys on the 27th. That tunnel looks cool.

Attached Files:

6. hemi man

hemi man

The first car in post 265 is a 40 pontiac.a friend of mine has one

7. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

You guys got me all psyched up to go for a hike, but I gotta miss the 27th. I'll be all over a weekend trip though!!!

8. I am with Nick on this one. It looks like I will be working on the 27th for sure

9. phat rat

phat rat

I'll definitely be there the 27th

10. joel torres

joel torres

it make me sad to see this car thats been sitting there soooooo long and the floors are still solid that i could patch another car with them here in ny that car would have been the size of a soda can you guys are so lucky the cars on your property must be so solid if you go to my build page you will see how bad my 47 was

11. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

found this today off Lake Mary road...

Attached Files:

12. It's a '42.

13. ErnieM

ErnieM

It is a 46-48 Mercury

14. [​IMG]

1956 Star Chief

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was told I could have this if I want it. Have thought about it considerably but, see no practical way to retrieve it. The rear end is gone too.

The 316 short block still sits between the fenders.

[​IMG]

15. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

Where is that thing Steve???? Accessable road nearby? Maybe we can drag it up on your trailer?

16. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Looks like there is still lots of useable parts left, I'd at least pull those.

17. Here is a truckload of parts we found just laying on the side of a dirt road southeast of Tucson.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. You don't need a battery powered sawzall to cut patch panels from these wrecks - just a sharp chisel and a hammer.

When I travelled by bus around Arizona about 20+ years ago (I think it was by Trailways rater than Greyhound) I saw lots of 20's and 30's cars just sitting about. I asked why they hadn't been taken by rodders and restorers and I was told a lot of them were on Indian land and anyone harvesting them would probably wind up staring down the wrong end of a rifle.

19. [​IMG]

Well, it is time for another adventure. Who knows what we will find tomorrow as far as cars go but, am sure we will find a few more abandoned mines and some great views. Looks like as many as 7 of us this time.

I'll be taking my daily driver primered '66 GTO and be doing some off roading with it.

[​IMG]

Our first stop after breakfast will be the Claypool tunnel. Then, continue on hwy 60 to Globe then north towards Show Low.

20. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

Packed up & ready to go. We leave in about an hour!!! Will post up pictures of our findings tonight!!!

21. Hey, good hunting and be safe. I am so freakin' jealous!!-MIKE:D

22. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

WOW!!! Another fantastic outing!!! We went back to the Seneca area to do some more exploring. Found several mine works with tailings strewn all the way down into the canyons. Did a lot of trail hiking & found one mine area with passages that went so far back into the mountains that the flashlights could not reach the end. One mine work had the remains of an old engine down in it. 6 cylinder with 4 bolts holding each rod cap on!!!! Will get pictures posted up in the morning when I can walk & see. very long day. Left my house at 6 am & just got back at 11 pm!!! There was 6 in the group today!! Just WOW!
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

23. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

[​IMG]

After breakfast we drove back to the Seneca area. After a short stop at Seneca Falls lookout we headed over to the old mercury car & hiked down off the side of the canyon to find this mine works. This place is literally hanging on the side of the mountain.

[​IMG]

Look how far it is to the bottom of the Salt River Canyon!!

[​IMG]

This is an old 6 cylinder engine in the tin shed. Notice that it has 4 bolts per rod cap!!! Also from the front gear housing, looks like it had a couple of accessory drives off of the housing. Dont know if this was a gas or diesel.

[​IMG]

4 bolts per rod cap!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

View out the front of the tin shed!! WOW!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

Cable drag line out the front of the shed that went down the canyon to the mines.

[​IMG]

On a trail under the tin shed for a photo shoot. Notice the hopper shoot for loading ore into the rail cars that was on the current trail.

[​IMG]

Another view down into the canyon.

[​IMG]

Further down the forrest road & stopped to check out the canyon with binoculars.

[​IMG]

After a stop at the old "Mule Hoof Bend" area, we hiked up the mountin behind Mule hoof & found these mine shafts going straight into the side of the canyon wall.

[​IMG]

After further checking, we found that several of these shafts were interconnected inside of the mountain.

[​IMG]

Went back in quite a ways with many branches of the tunnels. One tunnel was a dead end at a very large pool of water.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the mines we went further up the forrest road till it became too rough for passage.

[​IMG]

Checked out another view into the Salt canyon.

ended the day with a Rainbow from an incoming storm front!!![​IMG]

kbgreen likes this.
  24. SwedeVedette

SwedeVedette

Thanks keith, keep it up and keep posting nice pics

25. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

It's art. Would make a great picture to hang on the man cave wall, or possibly even a great screensaver. Every car posted on here was photographed so you and every one else could see it. It's that simple, people love vintage tin.

26. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Um if I ever seen that in my house. I would never be the same again. Im glad I live in NY. Your one krazzy dude for not burning the house down and moving.

27. The wife has friends living in north Scottsdale. We received a pic from them a while ago showing a Bobcat (the animal) in their backyard. When they first moved to Scottsdale (from Canada), Tracy asked for a weekly visit from the exterminator ... she was told by the exterminator people "you really don't need us to come by once a week". Her reply was "do you have a weekly plan available?". They answered "well, yes we do" so she said, "so what's the problem?, come by once a week". My point is, there seems to be a rather large number of blood thirsty/death inducing bugs, critters, varmints and animals in the desert regions of Arizona ... isn't there quite a risk entering those abandoned mines or even just plain hiking out in the bush or are you guys all "packing"? (although I can't see a sidearm being of much use when the attcking party is something as small as a spider or spiders). Almost forgot the Jumping Chollas ... good god people, this is a carnivorous plant :eek:

28. Incredible photos MechanicKeith! We live in a beautiful state with a rich history.

29. You've got that right! Years ago while riding my YZ250, I hit one of those at about 45mph. I pulled out barbs for an hour, and it got so infected that it made me sick. Two months later, I was watching TV and my right leg started burning and tingling, and I found another tip of a barb! Yeah, a Cholla is one evil plant.

30. Springerville Auto Wreckers (on 60) has quite a few 50s - 60s cars in their yard - I bought a 59 Chevy 2 dr station wagon from them a couple years ago.

applekrate likes this.