Register now to get rid of these ads!

another paint question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chainsaw, Feb 26, 2012.

1. When shooting a solid color with single stage paint, do you mist on the last coat or shoot it wet? I read somewhere if you mist it on its easier to fix any mistakes, I dont understand how a mist coat would make fixes easier. Thanks

2. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

I have always shot it wet.....I mist on a metallic last coat.

3. With single stage I always start with a mist coat, then medium wet coat and finish with wet coats.

4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've always shot it wet too. Never tried it any other way.

5. Wet. Misting it on can leave it looking dry. Metallics and two-stage are a different animal, but I've done it wet.

6. Tinbasher

Tinbasher

With Single stage what yo see is what you get. 2 or 3 full wet coats and your there. Mist coat at the end if it's a metallic and your getting mottling. But you lose the gloss.

The Old Tinbasher

7. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Single stage here and on the last coat it was mixed with a little more reducer them called for to flow out on any bad spots. In other words WET

8. Cerberus

Cerberus

I have a 60's OT muscle car in my album that was painted with single stage PPG Marlboro Red. The hood and trunk are very glossy. The sides seem dull or semi glossy. The car was painted 4 years ago and has been garaged except for 1500 miles of driving. Can the sides be buffed out to produce more gloss? What is the best way to create more gloss on the doors and fenders?:confused:
    Don't mean to hijack the OP thread, but I feel my question correlates. Thank you.

9. wet sand with 2000 grit wet or dry paper, then buff with rubbing compound, then buff with finish glaze and your done

10. brandon

brandon

I do this and add a little more hardner as well.....love single stage...either enamel or ureathane

11. darkk

darkk

Retired now, but when I painted (over 40 yrs) I painted wet. Always worked for me.

12. Cerberus

Cerberus

Thanks John, Which finish glaze do you recommend?

13. I shoot with Dupont Centari enamel single stage. First, is a mist coat, then let it tact off. Second is a medium wet coat. Last, one or two heavy wet coats.

I allow 20-30 mins between coats. Depending on shop conditions and on the viscosity of the paint I made add a bit more reducer to the final coats.

Last, I add a hardener to flatten out the paint. I have had people tell me at time my jobs look like there powder coated.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  14. Noland

Noland

I put it on wet. first coat is lighter than every other coat but I wouldnt say misted. Single stage solid colors are fairly easy to spray. I like single stage urethane it works very good.

15. spray a light first coat this helps to lay weter coats ,spray the last cost as wet as possible.that last mist coat stuff is for basecoat

16. Thanks guys, I dont know where I read to mist it but it didnt sound right to me. Now I know for sure.

17. ...I use whatever is on sale at my paint supply store, they all are good...I sometimes use mothers mag polish before my final glaze just to get the small scratchs off the surface... Use a foam pad for the last two procedures dampen them just a little before you buff. I also sometimes finish off with a wash and then spray the entire car down with pledge furniture polish and then buff that in with a new soft foam pad .man what a shine you get.just make sure the pad is damp. I use an air powered buffer and run it realy slow for this finish.... good luck..John

18. N2hotrods

N2hotrods

solid single stage always shoot the last coat wet. When the weather is hot here in Az we over reduce the final coat.