Register now to get rid of these ads!

Junk yard admission fee?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bdotson, Feb 25, 2012.

1. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Anyone whining about paying $2 to get in would be a pain in the ass to deal with over prices of parts.If it weeds them out,good

2. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

The local place charges $2 and makes you sign in. I have no problem with that. It keeps the riff raff out.

I did have one issue... I was working in the area and went in just before they closed. The guy at the counter warned me it was almost closing. No problem as I had no tools and I told him was just checking if they had a car like my son's. If they did, he and I would return with tools and get what he needed that weekend.

I walked in and was turned around by their guy in the yard. He was pretty rude about it too. I nicely explained what I was doing... there was 10 minutes until they closed....was told "Fuck you, I saw you here walking around for the past 20 minutes". I saw that the argument was going nowhere and he had the home field advantage. I said "OK... I'm leaving... I'm going to talk to your boss on the way out though" I heard "fuck you.... talk to the fucking boss... fuck you!".

I ended up talking to the manager... Got a profuse apology and he even asked what exactly I needed and he checked his inventory to see if he had a car like that on the lot. Never saw that yard guy there again.

3. corn field kid

corn field kid

The local yard here changed hands a couple years ago, they have cars parts and a scrap yard now. Its a $2 fee to get in to pick parts, but if you bring some junk too sell a the scrap yard, they give you a token to get in to the pick apart side.

4. roughneck424

roughneck424

Yep 2 bucks to get the gate. Then you find a yard inside the yard with "late model" & "Specialty Cars" that wants another 2 bucks. I go about twice a year just for a look see.
    I don't think they even care about thieves?. I mean I think they have rules. They get the cars set on the yard for X amount of days then off to the crusher. If they really cared they wouldn't let people in there to destroy cars getting there stuff.
    I consider the 2 bucks my Sponsorship of the PICK A PARTS Wheelie Truck that is always cool to watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7dnNBWlK4M

5. von zipper

von zipper

By me the yard has a $50 whatever you can carry out contest! Lots of OT stuff!

Attached Files:

• 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      35.4 KB
      Views:
  6. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Loco gringos does but I know the owner hes not a bad guy lawyers insurance co E P A texas water commision theres a lot of stuff that has changed. we used to go to shanholts and sit under the tree and talk to the old man and he would tell us tells about the old hot rodders in east texas but now its just buisness sorry its that or no yards that have public acsess and yes they want to make profit. I am happy to give up 2 dollars to get to go get some gooodies !

7. 6-71

6-71

the LKQ's in the Tampa bay area charge $2.all the counter guys I have dealt with are real friendly and curteous. They are well organised,and they do replenish the stock on a regular basis.I agree the "core charge" is BS,but if you want to play,you have to pay. A few 60's and70's vehicles,but no old stuff.

8. AfterhoursFab

AfterhoursFab
    from NJ

Its $1 every day at the yards in Evansville, IN and every yard was u-pull-it. Here in NJ theres only one thats u-pull-it within 60 miles and its free. Mind you this is all new stuff, I have no idea where theres a yard for old cars around here :\

9. tbauer

tbauer

In central wisconsin about 15 years ago four or five older salvage yards brought in the portable crushers and cleaned house. I don't know if it was the EPA the DNR the economy or what. I would sure pay a few bucks if it kept those places open.

10. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I don't mind paying a token fee to get in. Just helping an American worker get by in life. Pretty simple, really.

11. brad chevy

brad chevy

If you won't pay $2 to get in a junkyard, probably would kill you to pay $5 to get in a swapmeet. The day of oldschool has passed. Bout the only thing free anymore is the air you breathe. I couldn't believe that the Zypherhills swapmeet was only $8 to get in,its been $10 for the last 2 years.

12. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I've only been in a certain Pick-Your-Part and it cost $2.00 and a signature to pull my own parts. They checked tool boxes upon departure. This was ten years ago and I took it as a sign of the times then. Really not a junk yard though. Just a modern facility with mostly newer cars, seperated by manufacturer like mentioned earlier.

Now if I had the oppurtunity to wander through an authentic 75-year-old junkyard I'd bring a camera and happily pay for the tour.

[​IMG]

13. ...$2.00 to get in is better than goin in for free and havin to pay $2.00 to get out!

14. S.F.

S.F.

yea Ive had to pay. Its 2 freeking dollars...who cares.

15. zzford

zzford

I dunno. If Walmart doesn't charge $2 to get in, I figure why should the junkyard?

16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I said in 1976: "I'd pay $4 or $5 to get into a swap meet...it would keep all the Sunday morning new immigrants with their 6 kids out of the paths.
    No 'racism', just fact. The then-recent influx of 'Boat People' from the Far East had discovered the Ford Motor Company Swap Meet in Milpitas. We could hardly move...there were lots of '32 parts then, and a channeled '29 Roadster that couldn't be reached...Two other bidders, and all the "PARDON MEs" to the folks in the way couldn't budge them!
    I had my partner, Merc, slide between wife and children, then pull me thru...We got the roadster! Whew!
    I suggested they charge admission to allow 'only the Very Interested'. A month later it was $2. (great swapmeet while it lasted!)

Pick-n-Pull here also charges $2.00, but have a computer now that accounts for cars in stock; my daughter's BMW was a candidate for an Air Flow meter and radiator. I was told they had crushed the 3 they had, but there were 4 in neighboring Modesto. I was stamped with the hand ink, and got in Modesto for free. Got all my parts, too.

17. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Walmart doesn't charge you to walk in, but they sure cost America plenty!:mad:

18. silversink

silversink

Because at the junk yard you get to choose if what your buying comes from China or Japan. At Walmart the choice is taken away. its all crap.

19. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

heck if there was a junkyard near here , with paved isles and vehicles on crushed rock instead of a foot of mud and ruts ,with porta johns , id be glad to pay an entrance fee , i consider a walk through the salvage yard amusment anyhow , but id rather walk a salvage yard than disney world , lol

20. My friends and I went to a salvage yard after work in '68, and it was closed when we got there. We went in anyway, looking to see if they had cars that would yield the parts we needed, and figured we'd come back the next day before they closed. Well, somebody called the owner on us, and it was the first time I looked down the barrel of a handgun pointed at my chest. We apologized profusely and the owner turned out to be a really nice guy who had been getting ripped off for copper and aluminum - even back then.

In 1999, I was doing some work for my employer, the state transportation department, and we were buying some right of way from the property owner where the salvage yard used to be. Turns out the guy who we went to see was the same one who drew down on me years earlier. I told him we'd met before, and thanked him for not killing me. He said he's still got the gun, but I said don't bring it out, I'd seen enough of it at the time. We both laughed.

21. wsdad

wsdad

OK. So go to another junk yard you like better. Problem solved.

I don't mind paying the $2 because I get to pull my own parts - which saves me $25.00 over having someone do it for me. I get to go pick out the least worn part instead relying on someone else who doesn't care as much about me as I do.

Pay $2.00. Save $25.00. The math works so long as you can get past the principal of having to pay admission to a junk yard.

The last time I was in there, I got a little piece of trim that goes in the door panel. It surrounds the little door lock thing that pops up and down. I had to take the panel off to get to it. I showed it to the cashier, but he didn't charge me for it. I also was able to get a center console that I didn't know they made for my car. It came off one that was a higher trim level than mine. I wouldn't have gotten those if someone else were pulling the suspension piece that I originally went in there for.

To me, it's worth the extra $2.00. I'm not sure it would be worth $3.00, though.

22. 88to52

88to52

the two I go to, one is free and the other I paid 10 bucks for a lifetime entrance, which works because otherwise it's 1 dollar everytime.

23. sbin

sbin

Go to the local Pull-a-part once or twice a week costs $1 to get in but that is good for all four yards in the area.
    Waking around the yard on a nice sunny saturday morning I can almost understand why some of my friends like golf.

24. So spite yourself and don't go. You'll show them. Buy one less lottery ticket or cup of coffee while you are out and its a wash. :D

25. D.G.F

D.G.F
    from Las Vegas

It's 2 bucks here at the pick a part.. Gladly pay that I have went there to cool off and just look at the cars didn't really need something just wanted something to do

26. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

We had one that charged a dollar and could get parts cheap and had a good supply of old stuff but the new owner quit selling parts and is just a scrap yard now. I would not pay anything to get in the other yards around here.

27. We have a couple of Crazy Ray's around here and they charge $1 and your name and phone # for the liability (if I remember from my contract law class). So my bud and I go on a nice day for our "walk in the park". The one in Mt Airy has a lot of trucks - a lot of farms up there, some '50's Chevy's and Ford cars, plus newer stuff. I usually scrounge around the new entries and find enough change on the floor to cover the $1, tools left in vehicles to add to my junk yard bag and occasionally I go to look for parts. Best therapy ever outside of working on the coupester.

28. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Two Dollars is a pittance. With all the rules and regs its amazing there are any yards left. I'm just grateful there are people who hold cars rather than crush em.

29. The U pull it here is 5 bucks or was the last I checked. It keeps the Looky Lous out.

30. Window Licker

Window Licker

a lot of the yards by me have a 1 or 2 dollar environmental fee