Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  2. spuds

spuds
    from Idaho

3. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

I remember that hanger, He had an original matchung 64 that looked as nice as that one. I think he had Phil Bonners orig. 63 Galaxie also. All Nice stuff. Dont know who he was . Just some hanger in the Northwest.

4. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Putting it back together now. I need to stop taking it apart and get back on other projects.

The things we do trying to go 1/2 second faster. ARRRG.

Some updates

Changed out my brakes for lighter ones, Changed out my rear wheel studs from 1/2" to 5/8" Yes I was Bending the 1/2 studs.

New Top secret Rear End Gear in lighter Alum case.

New lower control arms and strut rod design.

New one piece Coil over spring combo for front end.

Re design of shock towers for new Jardine Headers soon in two weeks

All in all hopefully 100 pounds out of the car.

And all that for a 1/2 second YES

Heres some pics since the thread is slow right now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also changed the Tranny tunnel, tired of fighting getting tranny out.

Was

[​IMG]

Now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Changed the shock towers for the last time. Headers, Spark Plugs and Valve covers are not my friend.

Amazing how I started with this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2nd version

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And to this the final version. And I can still go back to stock stuff, Kinda

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The hole ligns up with a header bolt.

[​IMG]

6. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Every three days we keep getting this, Good thing the Garage is warm.Suppose to get another three inches monday

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

The Boys are ready for the season. Cant wait

[​IMG]

8. SOHC427

SOHC427

Ken,

Geez, that looks great. Those are some good looking parts and pieces, you made there.
    Garage looks great, except for the Budweiser thing...haha That's the biggest weight problem, there. See Coors light keeps my thin!!
    Eric

9. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

The Carnage

I'm sure Fast Eddie will be up here trying to steal all my 10 sec. stuff

[​IMG]

10. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

I might have to convert. If the driver dosent lose 25 lbs he will never see a 1/2 sec. time change.

11. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

12. SOHC427

SOHC427

Don't you love seeing all that money go down the toilet, when you chamge stuff? And you can drink the good beer, at my place, when my junk starts taking shape....

13. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

14. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

ERIC

Where the Heck is that 64 R Code 427 Earl Wade SOHC Powered Galaxie at, Mr. Coors Light. It's almost Spring time. Stay Focused and quit checking out that Wicked Willys

[​IMG]

15. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;makes all the work I did over the Winter look like childs play!!!It all looks great,my lower control arms turned out good,the front end shop liked the idea of adjustable lower arms,said it made alignment a snap!! I think my next step will be those upper a-arms and coil overs,not just for weight,but I like the adjustability aspect! ROY.

16. SOHC427

SOHC427

Ken, would you like Earl's phone number? Maybe you can light a fire under his ass!!
    Yes, I do love the Willys coupes, too, and the Coors Light, and yes, you got me so damn hooked on the Comets, I can't see straight.
    I don't see any snow in the pics with your car, in Bowling Green, either......
    Eric

17. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Bowling Green this year Roy? Fords at Carlise? Going to be a fun year. Cant wait

[​IMG]

You need to have a talk with Fast Eddie, Too much shine and women

18. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;with fuel prices getting so out of control I think just the trip to the NHRR may be it for me!!! I'm thinking of doing the Comet Gathering in Pigeon Forge the weekend before the NHRR,gotta be in Kentucky anyway!!!! ROY

19. Merritt

Merritt

Ken, Thanks for the great pictures. I am adding the brakes and shocks but I think I may have made gone the wrong way on the control arms. I bought the Operntracker kits, the kits are top quality workmanship but the uppers are heavy and complex to fabricate. I am undecided on using them. I would like anyone’s thoughts on that. I will send pictures when it's done. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Who's lower control arm did you use and did the screw in ball joint match the comet spindle? Merritt<o:p></o:p>

20. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

21. 60 ford

60 ford

Awesome Comets, when I get the Falcon done I'd love to find a Comet.

22. Jamesoldfords

Jamesoldfords
    from Nampa, ID

Just waitng for you to get yours home then we can build em together HA

23. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

The great thing about you guys that live in the cold climates is that you have no excuse but to just work on your cars!! Out here, we still have to keep them together,'cause we race year-round!! Well, when they keep closing our tracks, thats a whole other story!! Here I am, all ready to rumble with new rear suspension parts, and no place to run!!!

My goal for the "off-season" (if you can call it that!) is to get the new 351 Windsor together, so I can tap Roy's bumper on his 418!!!! All the parts are there now, we just need to tear down, clean up, reassemble, then put it all back together. I'm shooting for the Reunion to have it ready. Would love to be able to run with the pack in the finals on Sunday! Thats my goal, and I'm sticking to it!

By the way, has anyone "experimented" with tri-y race headers??? I"m certain now, I have to build another set due to the Windsor wider and taller stance, so I figured why not look into this little used and often overpassed style of header. Anyone want to throw their vast knowledge into the pot??

Dale

24. cobrajet2

cobrajet2

Ken,
    All those new parts are some real eye candy. Very nice looking stuff. I would also like to know where you get a set of those lower control arms? So it looks like you are coming to Carlisle?

Mike

25. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

The lower control arm I ordered from Ron at Ron Morris Performance,

http://www.ronmorrisperformance.com/01hot_new/index.html

Its the lightest I could find, I had him leave off the shock mount and sway bar mount, weighs 4.5 lbs compared to my lower Total Control at 9 lbs

I'm not sure on the Ball joint, Its the same as the Total Contol unit, it takes a small shim style bushing to make it work. I think its Mustang II style.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  26. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

I'm not sure of Travel Plans either. Fuel will determine. The way they are talking, its not looking good.

I had been wanting to do a Road Racing Comet, I may use some of the extra stuff on that car.

Eddie and I are going for Bull Run, Just kidding we barely make it past the Biscuits and Gravy

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  27. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

How do you guys afford the parts for your builds??You have alot more $$$ than I do.I'm on what you call a shoe string budget and can only dream about what you do to your Comets.Must be nice....and I'm not married!Do I need to get married?:D

28. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

YEP

Find one that has a good income that will support your habit. Pay you to stay out in the garage and out of "her" house. The more mess you make in the house, the more she'll let you spend to work in the garage...LOL.....Mike

29. 0% interest credit cards along with some trading! And no don't get married! Child support and alimony are counter intutive to your workin on cars money, trust me!!

30. 65COMET

65COMET

Divorced 32 years,don't smoke,don't have a fancy home,kids are grown and doing well!! My only vice is that damned Comet racecar,and I spend more than I should to keep it going!!!!! Mike;I like your explanation,I never found that woman!!!! ROY.