Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Bob's Big Boy Broiler Opens In Downey!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cyclone Kevin, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

As some of you that know me at the Broiler my Father is ill and in the Hospital. With that said, my son John Jr is in Vegas to get his NHRA licence to drive for CPR. National Geographics is doing a series on LA Street Racing and how CPR is going legal by going track racing instead of street racing. Below is a link to the show airing tonite at 6pm and 9pm.

Click here: Video -- The Car to Beat -- National Geographic

Below is a link to the car my son will be driving for CPR
    @ the 20 sec. mark, thats my son holding the timing light

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk2EM9cz2Jc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

My son has received his licence and is excited. In my son's words from the track "I just put the Mustang on the back bumper. Huge wheelstand. Got my license to". Wish I could have been there.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  2. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

soooo, whats the story?like the video

3. Caught the show, it was a good watch. Street scenes reminded me of high school but never for those dollar figures involved. Can't imagine how they'll be able to stay hidden anymore with that kinda exposure.
    The LAPD chopper footage was laughable, they were talking street racing but shown a late ninety's frnt wheel Oldsmobile supreme and 4 door front wheel drives.
    Congrats on your son though.

4. John, sorry to hear about your Dad, prayer for him. Congrats to your son, looks like fun!

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Thanks Craig

6. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Congrats to JR.
    Been worried about you and how your dad is. Keep us posted ok?
    Talk ta ya soon.

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Thanks Kevin, PM Cyclone # to me. Also, get a hold of your uncle Jim, he wants to speak with you.

8. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

congrats to your son,get well to your DAD

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Thanks GaryB, to you and anyone else thinking the links are OT, your right. I put them because I stuggle with my son going from his home built mid 11sec. car to an extremly faster built car. I almost lost him last year to illness and before that an extremly bad off road accident with guys from the CPR shop.

10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Hey everybody, here's a copy and paste to today's event at the Broiler.

Monday, Presidents Day, a special show at the old Johnnies Broiler, now Bobs Broiler, 7447 Firestone, Downey from 11 to 3 pm.
    Rockabilly Trio "Los Toronados" in concert from 11:30 to 2 pm.
    5 free raffle tickets for red, white or blue vehicles.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  11. Mr.Norton

Mr.Norton
    from Sweden

Hi, back in sweden, adding some pics from Bobs and on my -47 Ford, also on the -65 impala I bought, its on its way to sweden right now, hope to make it to LA next winter again, Hank

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  12. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I stopped in at my local Big Boy today. I realize that the Elias Brothers' Big Boys in Michigan are only tangentally related to the Bob's Big Boys in California, but I thought you guys could answer my question.

Traditionally the eponymous sandwich uses a Thousand Island dressing variant as the sauce in Michigan, but they have recently added to the menu a "California" Big Boy with a red relish, and an "Ohio" Big Boy with some other kind of sauce. I had the California Big Boy today and it was great but it seemed odd to me to think that all these years I've pictured cruisers eating Big Boys with Thousand Island sauce in California, but it's really been this red relish concoction.

Do you have a sandwich at Bob's Big Boy with Thousand Island? Any idea how and when this regional schism developed?

Forgive me for posting about food on the HAMB, but I figure it's part of cruising history.

-Dave

13. i've never had a big boy in CA with anything but red relish.

14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Cyclone Kevin can better explain all the history and why we have relish here better than I can. The Big Boy Burger is available with Thousand Island dressing here. And it's termed Michigan style. Usually the servers ask which dressing, one would like. Sorry to hear they did not ask but I'm happy you liked it west coast style.

15. cafekid

cafekid

Hey John, long time no talk. I'm very sorry to hear about your dad, it's gotta be tough, and on the other side of the spectrum very cool for your son.

RC

16. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I think they would ask, but I specifically ordered the California style. Next maybe I'll try the Ohio style, which I think involves a white sauce - tartar sauce maybe?

I hope Cyclone Kevin will chime in about the relish, I'm very curious.

Thanks!

-Dave

17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Thanks RC, ya it's been a long time. Let Pops know that I'm still sport'n the Missed Shifts around that he designed on my jacket.

18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I just rolled back the hands of time scrolling back thru this thread. Found what I was looking for but I was to late. Yesterday was Cyclone Kevins Birthday. So hey Kevin, Happy Birthday even though it's a day late.

19. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Happy belated birthday Kev.

20. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Damn.

More belated birthday greatings Kevin, from me too. snuck up on me this year.

All the best my good friend. see you in a few months.

21. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Will try to answer this real quick, :D
    Bob's started here in Glendale in 1936, A customer wanted something different in a sandwhich. so Bob Wian doubled up the meat, split the bun and added red relish (which is generally refered to as Hamburger Relish).

Richard Woodward was a Chuuby lil boy who used to hang out at bob's Pantry and he loved to eat, one day a Disney cartoonist sketched up the boy in characture form and thus he became the Big Boy and the sandwhich was christened as well.

Bob's started to franchise this sandwhich and restaurant=Big Boy, and Frisch's added a tartar sauce instead of red relish. I belive that they were headquartered in Ohio. Thus The Ohio connection, Elias Bros, was a big Franchise holder and would eventually buy the whole Big Boy Chain,cept for Frisches'.

They used Thousand on their burgers. We in CA. never used anything but Red relish. In 1999, Elias Bros went bankrupt. Bob Liggett who worked for Elias took over the company and started a rebuild of sorts.

Ca. locations had been sold off to Coco's or Carrows Chain. There were some hold outs. When the re-launch of Big Boy Restaurants LLC. came along, The Now MI. based company enacted this 3 sauce option which we adhere to but mostly everyone that orders a Big Boy, get it as created back in 1936, with Red relish.

Thanks everyone for the B-day wishes. SC Edison had a planned outage here yesterday, so no way to communicate any way=sorry.
    Johnie Gee- Tel uncle Jim I'll ring him up soon. Hope that your dad is well.

Will see ya Weds for the cruise night :D.

22. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Thanks Kevin. Sure is a tasty sandwich, any way you sauce it.

-Dave

23. Muttley

Muttley

24. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Thanx everybody especially Muttley for the cake!

Cruise nite was cool! Lots of cool cars and great people. Lindsay has beeen holding down the fort while Jim recovers from knee surgery=He starts PT tomorrow. Get Well soon Jim and Thanx for the Birthday wishes! ;).

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  25. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

26. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Happy Birthday Adriene

27. Happy Birthday Adriene. Never, never grow up!

28. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Happy Birthday A,
    Even C'Deuced sends her birthday wishes all the way from West Virginia! Everyone loves the "Queen of Johnie's!!!!!!!!"

29. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Happy Birthday Adriene. Hope you have a great birthday.

30. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Are all the Broiler saviours born in Feburary???;)

Happy birthday Adriene.

I hope to see all you guys LA Roadster Show week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.