Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. PK

PK
    from Ohio

2. mud goodsleeve

mud goodsleeve
    from cincinnati

Wow HAMBers! I work up to a phone full of emails of purchases made for the sprinter t's. Looks like Ive got some work to do today. Thank you everyone who is gettting one to help this familiy out. It is greatly appreciated. I know the Arthurs are going to be overwhelmed for a while but this will deff bring a big smile to their faces. Thank you.

Heading out to Detroit for the weekend so if anyone orders over the next couple days shirts will ship out on monday.

Thanks again,
    -Matthew

3. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

I never got to see Joie Chitwood drive a sprint car, but my dad would tell me about him because he was my dad's favorite driver. It sounded like he was a "Thrill Show" behind the wheel of a sprint car too. I did get to see the Thrill Show often in the 50's.:D Thanks for the video.

4. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

I will second that!!!

5. FYI

For those who've not seen my post on the other vintage racing threads: The book, "Pole Position: Rex Mays" by Bob Shilling is now at the book stores.

I'm over halfway through my copy. It's full of information and photos, much that has never been public. However, being "pricey" ($125), take a look at a copy before buying. It's not just another "coffee table" dust collector. It's written for the devote Mays and oval racing fan and serious researcher.

For those in SoCal, the author, Bob Shilling, will be at a book signing the day after tomorrow (Feb. 25th), 10 am to 2 pm at Autobooks-Aerobooks, 2900 Magnolia Blvd. Burbank

Though I know the author, I have no financial interest in his effort.:)

6. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Bill Case Sr.'
    Former Big Car star here in the East Bill passed away today. He ran with URC, AAA, and the old NARC, to name a few.
    A long time friend i will miss Bill.
    R.I.P. BIG GUY.

7. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

rest of the photos
    http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/af233/carl44s/Havasu Feb 2012/?start=all

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  8. MarioFanKri

MarioFanKri
    from France

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  9. MarioFanKri

MarioFanKri
    from France

10. easter

easter

11. Buildy

Buildy

For those not afraid to use facebook a ton of sprint car photos on here. Caution-may contain cages and wings on some,but great anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/273389700316/photos/

Never mind,I guess I`m a day late and a dollar short.

I should have checked before posting-LOL

Well some of you might want to look at my racing photos on facebook. I have both modern and vintage racing and racing art.
    Non-commercial as I do not sell photos.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Racing-photos-by-Tony-De-Seta/357006874310329

this link will show the different albums. I do add new photos everyday.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Racing-photos-by-Tony-De-Seta/357006874310329?sk=photos

12. Buildy

Buildy

13. MarioFanKri

MarioFanKri
    from France

and another one :

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php...t=a.10150133834408478.337336.625958477&type=3

This is Ron Lauer's photo page, great stuff there :)

A few ones from the page :

1. Mario Andretti, 1963, Flemington
    2. AJ Foyt, 1965
    3. Jud Larson, 1964, Williams Grove (in the Wynn's # 3)
    4. AJ Foyt, 1964, Williams Grove
    5. Roger McCluskey, 1963, Williams Grove
    6. Bobby Marshman, 1963, Williams Grove
    7. Don Branson, 1963, Williams Grove
    8. AJ Foyt, 1967, Terre Haute
    9. AJ Foyt and Parnelli Jones (when and where ?)
    10. Bobby Courtwright in URC
    11. Wally Dallenbach, 1964
    12. Bill Holland in action

14. MarioFanKri

MarioFanKri
    from France

Attached Files:

15. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

9. AJ Foyt and Parnelli Jones (when and where ?)
    I'm gonna guess 1963, Terre Haute.
    '63, because PJ carried the #1 for his 1962 National Sprint Car Championship, and there's a picture in Dick Wallen's USAC 50th anniversary book from 1963 at Allentown of PJ in the Fike 1 and AJ in the (Watson?) 9. In that shot, however, the nine car is a darker color and Chevy-powered. Could be that the AJ's finally gave up on the Offy as a viable sprint car powerplant mid-season.
    Terre Haute, because it looks like the same inner board fence and the same tree and power lines in the background as the later shot of AJ in the Watson cammer. The Armco on the outside looks freshly-installed in the '63 shot; the later pic shows the trademark Action-Track diagonal stripes, and the (also trademark) battle damage.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  16. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

The 9 Foyt is driving is AJ Watson's car. He swapped the Offy for a Chevy mid season as I recall and painted it a metallic Blue, the darker color noted in the Allentown picture. The car would be later owned by Bruce Manwarren and run in URC by Cookie Osterhaut and later Denny Zimmerman. I believe it is 1962, I have race data from 1962 with Foyt in Watson's 9 at allentown and Williams Grove, and Cookie Osterhaut driving it in 1963 URC.

Parnelli pretty much gave up driving sprints after winning the 500. Johnny White was in the Fike at the end of the season and Foyt then owned the former Elmer George 21 now painted pearl and blue.

17. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

I think Jim Nise is correct, that looks like the car I bought from Bruce Manwarren at the end of 1965. I campaigned it in 1966 with URC (I won the show at Wall Stadium). I drove Don Collings Sprinter in 1967 and sold my car to Johnny Kay, actually Gene Angelillo bought the car for Johnny. Johnny Kay won the show at Stafford with it in 1968. I lost track of it after that but wynns #1 would know the history after that. I did find out several years ago that Bob McConnell got it and restored it just like it was when Foyt drove it. It's in a museum somewhere now. Denny Z.

18. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

1962 is correct, I was off a chapter in the book.
    For the record, PJ took the Midwest Sprint title in 1960, then the unified National Sprint Car crowns in '61 and '62. The Wallen book states he ran seven sprint car shows in 1963, winning twice in the Fike Plumbing Henry, at Salem in May and Hatfield PA in July. He ended the year with a win on November 9th at Ascot in the Morales Bro's Tamale Wagon.
    A quick glance through the book finds no mention of Rufous in the sprint car wars after 1964, where he's credited with 4 appearances, including a win at Salem.

19. jmh

jmh

The 55 next to Gus Linder may be Larry Dixon??? John

20. easter

easter

Larry drove the Long Bros. orange and white #55 and I'm pretty sure the car in the picture is the one he drove. I know J.D. Leas drove for the Long Bros., Mac Clingan did, George Harbour did, and I'm not sure who else. I think when Mac Clingan drove for them, it was after the Long Bros. bought Mac's Alfater car and painted it with their colors. Anyway, racerJim would know for sure. He's the Ohio Valley area expert. I still remember the scream of the 289 Ford in Gus Linder's car down in Parkersburg.

Note that both cars also had the steering on the right side. So did the Trevis my Dad drove.

21. KGB911

KGB911

Actually Whiteman Stadium was built as a test track for the Whiteman brothers Gary and Marv. One turn was like San Gabriel Valley Speedway and the other like Saugus. I sold programs there for a Good family friend Walt James and I helped "Just sat around" Don Brown shoke down his Mechanical Rabbit there just before Tommy Lee backed it into the fence. Whoppps!
    This pic is of that day!
    Dan Ruth

Attached Files:

22. spooky30a

spooky30a

wow some good old pics up in hear.

23. gtxrider

gtxrider

looks like a ELTO midget on the Nutley boards

24. MarioFanKri

MarioFanKri
    from France

I'm searching photos from Al Unser'scar
    in 1969 (#3), that year he was the winner at DuQuoin and Sacramento
    1972 (#7) ... winner Springfield and Hoosier Hundred
    and 1975 (#3), ... winner Springfield

if someone can help me ...

These two come from Ken Coles photo site : 1972 & 1969

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  25. MarioFanKri

MarioFanKri
    from France

The only one I Found : Sacramento 1969

[​IMG]

26. Been a little cold to get into the garage,but when the Schroder wheel,pitman arm and quick release hub turned up,I had to do some work to get them in the car.Made some brackets and mounting tubes,these will be welded into the frame,and I will only need a column support to finish the job.Gary and Karen at Schroders were of great help......I can't believe how supportive you guys can be........

Attached Files:

27. easter

easter

28. MarioFanKri

MarioFanKri
    from France

Attached Files:

29. MarioFanKri

MarioFanKri
    from France

:) Thanks LittleFauss for the pics and for the precisions

I know there were more wins, I just posted those of the years I was looking for pics.
    For other years (70, 71, 73, 74) it's quite easy to find some pics on the web.
    Winning the Hoosier four years in a row was exceptionnal, as much as winning all the dirt races in 1970 for the last year dirt racing gave points for the National Champ.

Would you please have a link to the galleries you spoke of ?

30. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Of course this is when we had a REAL National / World Champion, with a combination of both dirt and asphalt .. the way I personally believe it still should be.

I'd like to see todays Indy drivers make an attempt on dirt. .. I'm sure that would be a hoot!!!

There's a Wallen video on here where Danny Ongias tried it in a sprint car. .. Time trials .. Ascot .. he took the green .. went down to one .. and WOOPS .. he went straight into the fence!!! .. I don't know if he ever attempted to run on dirt again?

Here it is .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9oB4cvGCqs&feature=player_embedded .. about 2 minutes 16 seconds into it starts the very short Ongias dirt experience.