Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why can't I find a 1950's childs car seat ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wayne mcMichael, Feb 18, 2012.

1. 29woodie

29woodie
    from boston, ma

2. Thanks I will check it out ! Wayne

3. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Think the closest thing to a child car seat was the rumble seat... "Set down, shut up, and don't fall out", seems to have a familiar ring to it for some reason. :D

Heck Id make ya an old style jump seat for kids... Hummm, on second thought the liability wouldn't be worth it! Never mind.

4. darkk

darkk

Mama's lap was the car seat of the 50's...

5. stude_trucks - He did mention it ... in post #20:

6. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

My "child seat" in late sixties... It was called the center console until I got too big.

Attached Files:

7. desotot

desotot

don't know if anybody posted this, it's on ebay
    [​IMG]

8. desotot

desotot

you know, I really don't think you want a 50s car seat, just my 2 pennys worth.

9. They should make a mandatory check box for each post so that we know people at least had to scroll by all the posts. That would rid this entire thread of 95% of the shit where people couldn't take the time to read, and say the same damn thing that was said 3, 5, 7, 11, 14, 18, and 24 posts earlier. What a waste of space.

10. Why would you think after advertising for just about 2 years that I don't really want a 50's car seat. If you are serious I find the statement to be ridiculous !I have even offered to rent one from some Hambers !!!

11. Von Richthofen

Von Richthofen

I have to agree he has some bad ass avitars !!!

12. stude-trucks just to settle you down a bit, it will be used sitting still in my driveway while a professional photographer takes a photo shot. I thought I made it clear !

13. Dear desotot Some times our two cents worth with the current inflation isn't even worth two cents. So maybe a penny for your thoughts makes more " cents " !

14. You did, people just skip most relevant things, and make a quick comment. It's much easier that way.:rolleyes:;):D

15. robber

robber

I remember the cars had no seat belts and us kids would stand up in the back seat... I used to lay in the rear deck:) I remember a car seat of the times that had a metal frame work that hooked over the back of the seat.
    The child would be suspended from a canvas seat (basically a bag with leg holes). The seat wasn't strapped into the car and the kid wasn't strapped
    into the seat. This car seat actually had a fake steering wheel with like a squeaky toy horn button. The steering wheel had no padding, so that when the parents ran into something and hit their face on their steering wheel with no padding, the child could hit their face on the fake steering wheel and duplicate the injuries;) This is all true, but I haven't seen a car seat like that in a half of a century.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  16. desotot

desotot

In the late sixties I saw a car go around a corner and a kid tumbled out the back door, kid must have been leaning on the door handle or something, any way the driver stops, the kid gets up crying , runs to the car hops in and the driver heads on his way again.

17. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Everyone had balls back then, even babies.

18. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

I saw one on ebay last night. I think I was going thru the listings for 50
    Pontiac stuff. Seems like the opening bid was around $50 or so. Might go look.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  19. I will do so. I would be willing to pay up to 100 dollars for one in excellent condition. Thank you, wayne

20. mr crocket

mr crocket

For us kids the safest place was allways just out of Dad's reach.

21. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

I think I'll put this in my Favorites and use it often.

This is a true statement for 98 % of the threads on the H.A.M.B.

HuH!

22. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

In case you hadn't found it, the ebay # is 280832866991 Opening bid is $54.99, and no it's not mine and I don't know the seller either. Oilcan Harry

23. 1953girlracer

1953girlracer
    from Redlands

We did not have them. In the 50's we sat in the backseat and did not think of child seats.

Sent from chick's iPad using TJJ

24. In the 70's, my dad said that they used to fill the back floor boards with luggage and make a bed in th ebackseat for me and my sister....try getting away with that nowadays....

25. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Don't worry, not bent out of shape. Sorry I didn't read every single word of the 6 pages of the thread and somehow missed your comment before making my post.

But here's a question, why after multiple example have been posted where you can get some of these right now, several on ebay, are we still even talking about this? It took you 2 years and this thread to realize looking on ebay might be a good option? You've held off your family photo idea because you somehow have scoured the world over but somehow never thought of ebay?

Whatever, best of luck with it. Sounds like the kid will be safe and we seem to agree on that. But after 2 years they might have out grown the seat by now.

26. pecdaddy

pecdaddy

Check *bay. See them all the time in the Model A parts search.

27. Dear Stude trucks I have never seen one on Ebay with the little steering wheel and I check every couple days for the last year. I have seen many home made and after market crude reproductions but not an original. The picture in our family album that I am trying to replicate is of a nephew with the little steering wheel. I did get a picture two years ago but it looks like he is sitting on a alittle wooden box. Not to worry about the age of the grandchild as I have them several ages from 6 months, 1 1/2, 3, 4, 5 and 9. Hope that answers your questions as you seemed to be quite concerned with my purchase. If you have a little steering wheel model I will but it to day ! I will also pauy you a finders fee to locate one that I buy. .

28. desotot

desotot

keep this thread alive and you just might get your elusive seat.

29. Bringing back some memories. Back around 1970 I climbed over to the front seat when I was five while my dad was in the corner store getting cigarettes, put the car in reverse and somewhat steered it backwards across a popular two lane road and about 200 feet in a field.