Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features traditional t bucket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by merles_garage, Feb 23, 2012.

1. merles_garage

merles_garage

i am at a fork in the road. i love T bucktes but every one i see is 70s style. i want to build a traditional hot rod using a T bucket. what do you guys think? pics and comments would be great. thanks

2. firingorder1

firingorder1

3. gas pumper

gas pumper

Don't look at mine, it's some kind of 1970's plastic;) witha belly button

Attached Files:

thebearded1! and Dannerr like this.
  4. merles_garage

merles_garage

by 70s i mean wide rear tires motocycle front wheels tall winsheilds etc.....

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Sounds more like a "Fad T" than traditional.

6. wizzard23

wizzard23

Gas Pumper, that's one kool roadster. Glass T's have to be traditional by now!

7. robber

robber

I slammed my seats and chopped the windshield...at that point I don't think of her as a 70's style bucket. The old track T's of the late 40's offer one look that you might consider. If you you want the classic 50's look, Tommy Ivo and Norm Gabrowski are the two guys to check.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Not too hard to do. It's mostly in the details. The best thing you can do is to grab a stack of Car Craft mags from the early and mid sixties. They were T-bucket crazy in that time period and each issue has some gems for inspiration. There are also a couple of threads on here about traditional buckets that have some great ideas too. Hit the search function and prepare to loose a few hours of your life!

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have a real hard-on for mid-late sixties style t-buckets. even if they are technically O/T for the HAMB.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and EVL401 like this.
  10. jalopy45

jalopy45

Take a look around T Bucket Plans, they have a lot of historical pictures that document the lil bucket thru all the phases. :)
    TBucketPlans.com

11. designs that work

designs that work

A Model T does not have to be a 70's T Bucket. Think Track T or Lakes Modified. But before you spend a dime, are you a big person? If you are over 5' 11" tall and 200 pounds a T may not be for you. Registration can be a hassle. .More pictures in my album.

Attached Files:

12. Bilt

Bilt

I think you are on the right track. I see you know how to weld so that is a big hurdle down. Find a style you like and build it. The "T-Bucket" is a style of car which can go in many different ways to suit your own personality. Build what fits your taste, ask questions, and build the car you like. There is not a right or wrong way to go. We just prefer the traditional style of buckets here. I am building mine using "Tweedie Pie" as the basic style and making it my own to fit my own personality.

13. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Check my albums.....Peter Beater. yeah.

14. whiskerz

whiskerz
    from Ga.

Yea I climbed in my friends but I need a T in a XL I am over 6 foot and 200 pounds :D:D:D I still want one

15. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Few yrs back I bought a butchered A Tudor turned Bucket. Nice, long body no doors, '30-31cowl. Turned out to be pretty cool. Just keep an open mind and see what's available.

16. Not a "bucket" no bed. But still way cool!!!

Attached Files:

• CR1.jpg
      CR1.jpg
      File size:
      149.6 KB
      Views:
    EVL401 and spooler41 like this.
  17. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Yes, indeed!

18. I built this one in 2005.

I can't stand the 70's style buckets with the ridiculous tire combos and blown engines. They're just cartoonish and nearly un-drivable.

This little 25 model was extremely roadworthy, however, and I hated to sell it but had to at the time because of finances.

I used a Z'd, 29 Model A frame and a 302/AOD combo that I had sitting in the corner....48 Ford rear axle and a driveline converter from Speedway.

I had just a hair under $8K in it when it was all said and done, but that's because I already had the engine/transmission, rear axle, gauges, frame and a few other things. It probably would've been a $10K or $11K build without those things.

I was simple, simple, simple and I want to build another T roadster some day....but I think I'll do a 27 on 32 rails this time....1940's style. There's one in one of Don Montgomery's books that makes me get all woozy when I see it.

Oh...and I'm just a hair over 6 feet tall and was probably 230 lbs when I built it. It fit me fine, but as you can see, the engine sat far enough forward that almost none of passenger compartment was lost to the transmission.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  19. Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  20. Gas Pumper's T is my favorite T EVER. i've drooled over this car from the original iteration to now. SO FREAKING RAD!

one day i'm going to do one just like it because i have no originality or taste of my own.

21. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  22. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

23. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

Cool Thread!! here is the HAMB's second chance at a cool thread!! lets keep it HAMB friendly!!

24. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

Heres my old T-Bucket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EVL401 likes this.
  25. I hate the t-bucket term, I prefer roadster. Mine started out as a 60's build, I am heading a little earlier. Was going to sell, but got too many asshole offers, so it sits!-MIKE

BEFORE

[​IMG]

NOW
    [​IMG]

26. MemphisRaines

MemphisRaines
    from Texas

this is mine i just completed. Interior is being done this week.

[​IMG]

27. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Are you looking for this style?

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  28. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

It can be done. I'd stay away from the very trite styling cues of the 60s-70s It's very easy to just order the chrome side pipes but you will notice that they are missing on this one because they were not available yet. If you can order anything with a credit card make sure it isn't overdone because it's so easy.

29. gas pumper

gas pumper

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Dave Gadberry built the original car in something like 1985. Since then it has been refined to what it is today by a few owners, all of them HAMBer's. I bought it about 5 years ago from Burny and have tried to keep the style that has evolved over time and just make improvements to reliability and driveability.

I'm 5-11 tall and over 230lbs. When I first got the car I really thought I made a mistake because of the pretzel driving position. I did not take long to adjust the driving position a little and get my body used to folding up. I'm now very comfortable driving and have gone 4 hours without getting out of the seat many times. Long rides are not a problem.

In my opinion the minimalistic roadster, that looks like it doesn't have enough parts to be legal, is the most enjoyable way to travel.

Frank

30. OK this is not a bucket it is a '27 and it is not mine it belongs to the illustrious Raven. The idea was to build an earlier style '27 ( late '40s to mid '50s) that had been updated in the later '50s to earlier '60s. That actually happened a lot, someone would update the drivetrain on their old rod or buy someone elses old road and put a later mill in it.

Never the less this could certianly be done with an ealier bucket and a turtle deck.

Enjoy

[​IMG]

Edit darn it:

I ment to mention that the Ravens body is a really old glass body, but if it were a gennie '27you could remove the turtle deck and make it into a bucket.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
    Rick & Jan likes this.