Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

2. Buildy

Buildy

3. gilmore

gilmore
    from Missouri

Me too!... especially the years 1932-1941. Let's also hope they don't see that "MOEFUZZ" took the liberty and copied all their photos and posted them elsewhere... without giving any sort of source/recognition to IMS. Everyone likes seeing photos, but that's why many a person has stopped posting their photos online, myself included. Not to be a "Debbie Downer", just stating the facts.

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^ I agree, I thought it was far too much stuff for one guy to own, sure was nice to look at but IMS should be given credit. Bob

5. ehdubya

ehdubya

Those IMS photos are great but there's a lot of errors in the captions, I suspect this Ford visit was 1932 rather than the stated 1933 like others captioned with this black pen.

[​IMG]

6. ZigZagZ

ZigZagZ
    from LA

IMS history is a lot of fun, because it has been well documented and preserved. But as we all know there are grey areas. I haven't seen much in the way of early victory banquets that were held at the Claypool Hotel in downtown Indianapolis. These events would have been a coat & tie affairs, where the drivers would have received their checks, and trophies would have been handed out.

Here is a shot of Ray Haroun's check from 1911
    [​IMG]

Here is a crappy photo of the 1940 Strauss Trophy
    [​IMG]

7. FYI

I've just waded through the halfway point of a book, just out in the book stores, called "Pole Position: Rex Mays..the life of America's most popular race driver and a long look back at American auto racing and life circa 1931-1949". It's got a lot of information. Perhaps too much information for some. It's got anecdotes and photos that have never before been public. The author, Bob Shilling, has been working on the information and research since the late eighties. It is "pricey" ($125), so take a look at it before you jump in, to see if it's something you want to own;).

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks Old Dawg! The guy that put my favorite INDY car on the Pole TWICE sure deserves to have a book on his life on my shelf. Bob

9. Good! I think you're the reader, for whom Bob built this prodigious tome. He took half a lifetime; and a lot of ribbing from us, his buddies, along the way. But, a great cheer went up at our monthly breakfest gathering last Summer, when he announced that the manuscript had finally gone to the printer.

You, Bob, being a great fan of Rex; but living miles away, probably won't be able to make Shilling's book signing event, the day after tomorrow (Saturday the 25th).

For those of you living in, or near SoCal: The book signing will take place between 10 am and 2 pm at Autobooks-Aerobooks, 2900 West Magnolia Blvd. in Burbank. 818-845-0707 www.autobooks-aerobooks.com

10. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

HA!! So your down here and haven't called! :D

11. No, I'm not in SoCal, yet. I won't even be down for the book signing; despite the fact that another friend of mine is bringing one of Rex's cars for display.

Jim, I'll try to get down the first week of March, when my wife has to come down for one of her board meetings. It's been so long since I've been there, that I'll probably get "sticker shock" when we go get Mexican food.

I promise I'll call you, if I have the right telephone number:D (just kidding!)

12. codeblu

codeblu

If this is the wrong place to ask this, my apologies. I'm looking for a book about Indy riding mechanics. I'd found it on a search engine some years ago, yet can no longer find it, nor have I been able to find a copy of the book. My family has always maintained that my grandfather was a riding mechanic for Gaston Chevrolet sometime in the 20's. I know he was injured when an engine exploded, leaving the imprint of a connecting rod on the side of his face. Surely one or more of you have this book in your collection. Any information you can provide would be most appreciated.

13. jimdillon

jimdillon

What is your grandfather's name? Keep in mind that Gaston died in late 1920 on the boards at Beverly Hills. By 1923 also the two man car was kind of temporarily passe (the 1923 AAA cars were single seaters in the big races).

I am not familiar with the book although I wish I had it. I may have his name in some records in the teens although they rarely got any ink-Jim

14. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

Can you pin down the approximate year just a Little Better? I have my prized set of 17 leather bound volumes of THE AUTOMOBILE, . Got them From Alec Ulmann 20 years ago, and a lot of the issues cover auto races, large and small, in major cities and "in the sticks," all over the U.S. in details that include lap by lap standings, every part and accessorie of the car, reason they went out of the race, crashes, specific mechanical failures, speeds, drivers and on-board mechanics, in amazing detail. So a year, or couple-of-years period, would be helpful..Also any known races or towns?? ...and his name, of course.

15. Vintageride

Vintageride

Heads up, slightly used Fiat for sale. New York Herald October 2, 1910 .

Vintageride

Attached Files:

16. codeblu

codeblu

His name was Seth E. Aldridge....

17. jimdillon

jimdillon

I have a list of some of the mechanicians of the teens and scribble a note here and there with an occasional name, but do not have anyone named Aldridge. My records in the 20s is not as good as others possibly but if I see his name I will try and forward the same to you.

Riding in the mechanics seat took a large set in my opinion. I have ridden in that seat at reasonable speeds and it can really get your attention when someone throws it into a turn. I have never been a good passenger, mechanics had to be.-Jim

18. codeblu

codeblu

Thank you for looking. I do know that he was working for Buick starting in the 20's up til 1964 when he retired...and bought a new Pontiac Gran Prix...LOL I have all his work and parts manuals from the 20' up til 64. Complete with notations in the margins and remarks about running changes made to various models over the years.

19. ZigZagZ

ZigZagZ
    from LA

Would you have any old racing pic's of your grandfather?

Gaston worked with several riding mechanics during his career. I've seen references to Fred Essig, Salvatore Barbarino, and John Bresnahan.

Here's a newspaper clip of Bresnahan standing with Gaston:

[​IMG]

20. jimdillon

jimdillon

I bought an original newspaper account of the accident that took the life of Gaston and Eddie O"Donnell. I bought in in the gift shop of the Queen Mary when I was attending the 1982 Formula One race I believe. They would sell complete newspapers with your birthdate so I looked through all of the papers and bought three different early papers. Have them hanging on the wall in my shop.

I probably am more fascinated with Louis and his Frontenacs (not the later Ford Fronties as much as the real Frontenacs). I really like the 1916 cars although nothing of the cars survive. The only part I have heard of was a hunk of the cylinder head that Chuck Davis told me he used as paperweight. I tried to buy it but he laughed and refused to sell it to me.

In the paper on the right the headline is O'Donnell as Gaston was already dead but that is Gaston's picture on the front page.

Sad deal to say the least, Gaston was pretty good.-Jim

[​IMG]

21. noboD

noboD

Just wondering, would it have been common for someone to use an assumed name at that time? If he worked for Buick from 1920- 1964, he would have been pretty young when he was racing. Maybe he didn't want parents to know?

22. ZigZagZ

ZigZagZ
    from LA

Jim - The art work & memorabilia is very nice.

I too find the Bow Tie Boys most interesting. Here is a pic of Gaston in his 1917 ride at Cincinnati. Not sure who the mechanician is, perhaps one of our fellow HAMBers knows the answer to that riddle.

[​IMG]

23. jimdillon

jimdillon

Doug I am not sure about about using assumed names, possible I suppose but all drivers and mechanics were required to be registered as either drivers or mechanicians with the AAA. I would hazard a guess that most of the guys used their own names. Some could have slipped through. Not many of these records are left anymore, sadly.-Jim

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Rex Mays with his riding mechanic Takio Harishima. Watching the gauges, and other cars was their main job, I've always wondered how guys got picked to ride shotgun. [​IMG]

25. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Some years ago I got to drive Brooks Stevens '34 Studebaker 2-man car. A magazine friend asked if he could ''Ride Mechanic' So I invited him to climb in the car after me. Sitting in the car together I explained that after we we're out of the pits he would have to unhook his seat belt.... he looked at me and asked "What if there is a crash?" I said ''You saw me get in your seat and slide under the wheel to my side?'' Yes...... ''I will throw you clear before I exit!!!"

Strange he never got in the car again :)

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

I wish I could draw the Charles Adams cartoon of the riding mechanic toss I have in my head. :D

27. codeblu

codeblu

He would have been 23 in 1920, I don't know anything about my great grandparents. The family could be mistaken as to him being involved in racing. I've actually seen copies of his blueprints for a rotary engine that predates Wankel's.

28. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

Sorry. I did not find anything in the old "The Automobile" volumes.
    BUT!
    I would be VERY interested in seeing or knowing which rotary engine blueprints you may have. Are you open to sell or trade them? I have collected such engines for a large part of my life, and have quite a few original manuals for most of the WWI and earlier, aviation rotary engines. One is for one of the earliest successful rotary engine mfr. Adams-Farwell, and they made several versions for automobiles and others for aircraft use, back to 1905 for autos ad 1907 for aeroplanes.

29. Domiracer66

Domiracer66
    from The Mil

I used to work for Brooks at the old auto museum in Mequon and remember your car well. It had a really great handmade skull shifter knob which at some point went missing. Just curious if it found it's way back to the Studey before you purchased the car? I always though it a shame that such a cool piece of history would go missing like that...

30. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

Part I of the history of Mercer racing cars can be seen now on TheOldMotor.com