Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]

BONNIE MAE CAFE RESTAURANT Cascade Colorado CO

[​IMG]

CAFE DU MONDE RESTAURANT New Orleans Louisiana LA

[​IMG]

STEPHEN'S RESTAURANT Charleston South Carolina

[​IMG]

DANNY'S CLIFF CHALET RESTAURANT San Francisco CA

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OYSTER HARBORS CLUB RESTAURANT Osterville Massachusetts

2. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]

SOUTH OF THE BORDER RESTAURANT Dillon SC

[​IMG]

MOUNT-VUE MOTEL Asheville North Carolina

3. swi66

swi66

4. swi66

swi66

5. swi66

swi66

6. swi66

swi66

7. swi66

swi66

8. Mr Mayo

Mr Mayo
    from Huff, ND

Looks to be a 1960 Ford station wagon with the back window propped open.

9. swi66

swi66

10. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

1960 Ford Station Wagon with the lift gate open. It gave you a nice poor-mans air conditioning but was hard on the lift gate hinges . :)

11. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]
    Quincey, Illinois
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. That practice also allowed Carbon-monoxide to enter the car. My Dad crashed and almost went off a bridge from accumulated CO poisoning. He carried long items in the winter with the gate open like that.

13. modelamac

modelamac

WOW!

I live in Quincy, IL.... and believe it or not most of the building are still standing and look almost the same. LOL! I actually work in the same area these photos were taken.

My Grandmother worked at the soda fountain in Brown's drug store for like 30 years... the one pictured actually burnt down in the 60's. But Brown's rebuilt a few blocks away and is still in business today. The soda fountain closed shortly after Grandma retired.

How the heck did someone in NY get photos of downtown Quincy?

14. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Thanks for the humor AND some good points, too, guys! :D I'm sorry if, earlier, I came across as overly defensive of Smokey. I know he was good mechanically BUT also very slippery! ;) The insiders still today push the rules to the very edge of the envelope, and beyond if they think they can slip one by. :rolleyes: Anyway, I'm not so much a Smokey fan as a HUDSON fan. If they hadn't blundered and dropped over $30 million into the ill-fated Jet, maybe they could have developed a timely OHV V-8 with the Hudson performance pedigree. Oh, well! :eek: That falls into the category with all the OTHER "What-IFs," right?

15. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

Yup.... it was also a good idea to have the front windows rolled down.

16. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Had a friend back in the '60s who had a Jet with the "Twin-H" engine. Very impressive performance! The Jet was just ahead of it's time. The concept was right there with the Falcons, Novas, Darts and other compacts.

17. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Note how many drivers have their left elbow resting on the door sill, window open. Practically impossible to do in modern cars but it was a common sight back in the day--on nice days.

18. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

I miss downtowns with a Kress on the corner.

19. 60 Ford S/W with the back window up.

edit: See what happens when you get up at noon? Late to the party as usual..... :)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  20. bakes

bakes
    from albany NY

We had a Henry's in Binghamton on the corner of Main and Clarke. The hamburger licking its chops at the prospect of, umm, you eating a hamburger always made me wonder...

21. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Smokey's attitude was if it wasn't written in the rule book "It wasn't a rule"Several rules back then were "Smokey specific" like the fact that at one point there was a fuel tank size restriction but no fuel line size restriction so Smokey ran I believe he said a 3 inch dia. fuel line from tank to fuel pump got something like an extra 3 gallons with that.Belly pans were outlawed at some point so Smokey ran the frame inside the car above the floor and "re enforced" The bottom of the A frames with sheet metal making them pretty smooth in the process.Many NASCAR rules got refined and very specific because of Smokey.

22. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Smokey also noted that the NASCAR rule book of the time said fuel additives were permitted, and said, "I always considered nitrous oxide a fuel additive."

I think it was in the spirit of Smokey Yunick, and the theory that if inspectors in those days found something blatant, they didn't look for anything else, Harry Hyde had a bottom drawer on his tool chest neatly lettered, "TRICK S**T."

23. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Thanks, man. You make an excellent point. From an ENGINEERING standpoint the Hudson Jet was a great car, great power-to-weight ratio and good handling (POLICE departments even bought them as fleet cars!).;)

Where the Jet fell down was in the fact that engineering-minded Hudson managers at the time contracted Dutch Darrin:), THEN chose the DUMPIEST, most conventional, high-roof design he came up with:(. Not Dutch's fault there!

Just look at a Jet and IMAGINE what a popular car it MIGHT:( have been with a lower, more stylish body.

24. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

If the Stans drive inn is in Fresno I spent a lot of time there in the 50's had a roving reporter who would take request on a radio ststion, great memories

my bad it should have been 41397, sorry

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  25. thanks for the replies guys...
    I remember riding in the back of my dads volvo amazon estate (sorry station wagon) as a kid on a hot summers day and feeling decidedly queazy after a few miles !

26. Slik Rik

Slik Rik
    from ND

27. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Used to hang out at STAN'S in the late 40's!!---If its the one in So.West L.A.!

28. jcdeem

jcdeem

here I thought that I was the only one on here from Quincy :)

29. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

The Lowe railway named for Thaddeus Lowe was the same Lowe who was a baloonist for the Union in the Civil War. An inventor, he possessed patents for technology involving hydrogen gas, and refrigeration.

30. jcdeem

jcdeem

if I done this correctly, here are 3 pictures from Quincy Illinois, the first one was taken on VJ Day at 6th and Maine, the next one is Geise used cars at 10th and Broadway sometime in the 1920's, and the 3rd one is of Owl Drug store delivery truck on North 6th Street.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.