Register now to get rid of these ads!

Post up your pictures of the "Worst Hackjob" you've come across.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by venturesomerite, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Let's see those pictures of the worst, most ridiculous "fixes" that you have come across on a car. Not the whole car, but a specific "repair" someone had done that just makes you go "...hmmm? WTF is that?"

2. everything I do is a hack job, and you want me to show photo proof? I think not

3. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

There are a few of these threads floating around already and inevitably someone links to some crazy 4x4 forum showing stuff that is terrible... but has nothing to so with hot rods or Customs.

That said, just yesterday something reminded me of a few pictures I saw here. And it might be the craziest thing I've ever seen done to an old hot rod.

As I remember it it was a '32 – possibly a 5W – and the exhaust was stubbed right into the steering column. There was no clearance for the header so the tube came out of the engine, into the column, and out the other side a few inches away. To be clear, the steering column was actually serving dual use as part of the header. I even remember a shot of the top of the column (inside of the car) with soot coming out around the shaft.

Did anyone save the pictures of this? I can't think of any search terms that would narrow it down enough to find.

4. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Here's an oldie that comes to mind! DD

Attached Files:

5. Being budget concious is old school!

6. ev88f

ev88f

So what caused the accident? well you see officer, my pipe fitting steering column unscrewed, too many left hand turns :rolleyes:

7. jreeder41

jreeder41

One of my tech's just pulled out styrofoam blocks from a rear unibody frame section on a 58 Metro. It was helping to support the blow foam and carboard.

8. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

About 10-15% of all the photos posted from typical cruise-ins and out door shows anymore.

9. I used to work at Home Depot. Had a guy come in one day looking for copper tubing and compression fittings. I showed him where everything was and asked him what he was working on. He was using it to replace some brake line on his 3ton dump truck. I told him he cant do that and why. He told me he had done it many times in the past.
    South Carolina does not have safety inspections unless DOT or The Troopers stop you.

10. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

[​IMG]

Looks fine to me, but that plug wire really needs to be rerouted!

11. Right turns are o.k. but lefts might get a little dicey!

12. DRD57

DRD57

Not the worst I've seen but we recently replaced the lump on the right with the piece on the left. It's a bracket to hold a support bearing (heim) in a steering shaft with three U-joints.

Attached Files:

13. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Front Bumper Brackets on an old Ford my brother accepted in a trade,the car has a Monte Carlo Frame Clip and this is how the "TECHNICIAN" re-attached the original Bumper Brackets

Attached Files:

14. Heres a Mercury I bought and going to try and save. An up and coming customizer really botched this one up and its going to take anouther top to fix it! Somebody needs their welder and hacksaw taken away!! It would take Betty Crocker to sling mud on this sled!! Just looking for a good name for a build thread....anybody?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  15. The Bride of Frankenstein?

16. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Some of these folks just suckin'-up way more oxygen than they're entitled to. DD

17. 117harv

117harv

As seen on Craigs list.......a 49 Ford fordor custom:eek::confused::cool:

Attached Files:

18. I'll try to get some pics, but my '55 had some terrible hack jobs on it. The rear driveline had a terrible notch made for it and the frontund of the frame had been cut out to let the a-arms lower into itself. Super unsafe.

19. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Give them credit chad.....atleast its all welded!! "The what the hell were they thinking merc"!!

20. I forgot to add my own, I have to say, some of the worst I've seen are done by the guy who "built" the 56 Vicky I have before my dad owned it.

I ahve to get some better pics, these are the only ones I have on hand.

Here's some of the highlights of the bondo OVER holes and rust, and mis aligned panels that got welded in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the new motor and tranny were different so just use 500 pop rivets and self tappers, and 14 peices of 20 gauge steel for the tunnel, and skim it all in 1" of Bondo and seam sealent INSIDE and OUTSIDe.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They also cut the cross member in half so they drive shaft had somewhere to go. I'll ahve to get a picture.

21. I bought this for what was left of the rare '32 Oldsmobile coupe. The guy I bought it from said the Olds belonged to his family since it was brand new. He drove it as a fenderless hot rod in the 60's. Then he and a friend crashed it into a deep ditch and bent the stock frame bad and dented the body. He then sold it to the friend and that guy installed the Olds body onto a VW Beetle chassis (the worst hackjob) with the engine in the trunk, since he was really into VW dune buggys.

[​IMG]

I bought it to save the coupe body and build it into a real hot rod again. He wanted me to drive the car home after I bought it, but I refused and just towed it home. Then I got home and removed the body and threw that VW crap away. I have been learning and collecting the right parts for it for years, and hope to completely build it some day. It will be my first hot rod.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  22. Looks like a Nash Metro and a Ford got knotted up and this came out 9 months later. :eek:

If I could find a link to it about a year or so back one of the fellas bought a '34 Sedan that was pretty butched underneath.

23. TheBurnoutsCarClub

TheBurnoutsCarClub
    BANNED
    from US

When chopping my 34 Ford PU, I came across these fine examples of craftsmanship:

Attached Files:

24. williebill

williebill

Ahhhhhhh...I can now go out to the garage with my head held high... Usually HAMB build threads make me feel really unworthy ( which I am ),but I feel better now...
    And DAMN,Ether !!! Was the PO welding by Braille?

25. wow thank goodness no one ever does stuff like pictured anymore... as all future hot rods and customs are being done perfectly so they would last for eternity..........

26. Muttley

Muttley

I ran across these about a year ago on ebay:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

I wish I had taken pictures of the work Sonny Mac of Okmulgee, Ok and now of Tulsa did on my 1956 F-100. Just as a small example on my 56 F-100, when he did the nose job he soldered a Pepsi can on the back and filled the holes with bondo. Cost me $2000.00 for that job plus some other work that was crapped out. Another example, instead of working out a couple dents on the fender he just filled the dent with bondo. I learned my lesson at the cost of $2000.00.
    ================================================================
    Like I told the kid, "Your musics not too loud, its just like OKC, it sucks!"

28. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

^^^^ wow.... I would bet if you tried to drive that the king pin inclination would want to slam the steering to one side or the other. neeto

29. 1oldrat

1oldrat

I wish I took pics of my 56 wagon of the 2 years of quality workmanship I recieved fro Ken's Auto Body in Sinking Spring PA.The outer rockers were popped riveted on and the heads ground off.The door jams were filled in 1 inch of body putty.There was a lot more but I'm going there.

30. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

The fancy custom work on my old Dodge when I got it.
    [​IMG]
    And yes, those are trailer tail lights with the snap ring retained lenses. P/O thought they looked "hot rod".