Register now to get rid of these ads!

History **Found this little gem a couple days ago, all original 1936 Dodge truck**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mike hamel, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Flyinsolo71

Flyinsolo71
    from Austin

2. slammed

slammed

You that truck right. Very nice preservation.

3. 34Chrysler

34Chrysler

4. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

BTW, have you ever displayed this truck at an AACA show in the HPOF class? Guys in the AACA would be all over a truck like this that's essentially a time capsule from bygone days...

5. Fireant

Fireant
    from Texas

That is a hell of a find; nice score!

6. K10

K10

Congrats. I'm a GM only kind of guy, but I'd be proud to own that Dodge. There was a write up on one in Vintage Truck magazine on 2010. A red and black one on the cover. The wheels really make the truck look amazing. The grill is quite a good design as well. I think that the 20" wheel option also changed the rear end ratio. So the possibility exists that you might be able to put in a numerically lower rear end ratio to enhance high speed operation. Strictly a guess on my part however.
    BTW, you say that you changed brake lines. Were the ones on the truck made of copper alloy by chance?

7. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Your oil pressure is right on. That is what my rebuilt with about 12K miles runs at. Don't be suprised if it goes below 30 at idle when hot. The manuals say any pressure showing at idle if fine as long as it goes back up at road speed.

On another note, I believe the Walter P Chrysler club maintains a registry of unrestored and survivor vehicles, you might want to contact them regarding your truck. The Club will be holding its summer national event in Kalamazoo Michingan some time in July, I am sure you and the truck would be well recieved. I wnet this year to Vermont and had a very nice time with the group.

http://www.chryslerclub.org/

8. Great Truck! :) I wouldnt change a thing either. Congrats on an Awesome find!
    I AM JEALOUS FOR SURE!

9. mike hamel

mike hamel

Ok good! I figured it was good! It's nearly 50 pounds actually. I have not seen it fluctuate really but I haven't really gone on a long drive yet. It's not registered yet! :eek: I'll have to check them out and same with the AACA website. There is some great info on that other mopar website you gave me.

The edmunds head went for much more then I figured! So that's a no go on that. I'm still not messing with this engine. Stocker it shall remain!

10. Thanks for the treat and for rubbing it in! Cool....very cool!!!!!!!!!!!

11. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Keep your eye on that pressure. 50 is borderline too high. If it gets any higher, take a look at the Oil pressure relief valve. It is located on the drivers side ,I believe in front of the oil fill tube. Some times the plunger gets sticky and the spring won't move it. If your pressure goes up and stay there the usual cause is a stuck plunger.

You can remove the access, remove the spring and then the plunger. You can sometimes use a long sheet rock screw as there is a hole in the back of the plunger. Just snug the screw in and then use it to pull the plunger out. Could be some crud or maybe a burr that prevents smooth movement of the plunger.

12. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Way awesome find.
    Good for you....
    Cheers.....

13. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

Love this thread. Some of your pictures have gone missing tho.

14. plymouth truck guy

plymouth truck guy

Jealously reigns supreme from my end. I'll keep looking. Perhaps on day I'll be as lucky.

15. elitecustombody

elitecustombody

Congrats on picking up this beauty. I have a 36 Dodge 1/2 ton as well.

16. I am sooooo jealous. I could trade my coupe for a truck like that. The '36 Dodge Brothers won the design awards for 1936.

17. Cool score beyond words !!!
    Treat it like a sore dick,don't f*** with it.
    They are only this original and awesome once.
    I like your bike too!

18. mike hamel

mike hamel

Thanks guys, it's all stock and being left that way. I need to post an updated clean picture! I'll do that to tomorrow. Hell I drive that thing more then the 3 window right now! It's coooooold here in Reno!

19. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Super find! Now i know what my rust bucket looked like before it got molested by some po!

20. Jen......

Jen......

fantastic buy , a real time piece to be enjoyed

Jen

21. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Perfect truck. I would kill for it in its current condition! I am so glad you're leaving it original

I see you driving all over the place in south Reno around the South Virginia and Lakeside/ Huffaker area. You pass my house all the time.

22. well, maybe the tires...:Dbut I agree with the above statement

23. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

All I'd do is polish and drive that. It's too cool!

24. Ole'32

Ole'32
    from Arizona

That is a find of all finds! Love it!! You scored well with this one!! Thanks for sharing.

Bryson

25. tjmercury

tjmercury

That truck is gorgeous, I would throw some "round" tires on it and keep the rest the way you found it

26. das858

das858

Beautiful truck, reminds me of my '38 Plymouth pick-up when I got it in '98.

27. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

Wow factor for sure!

28. Mike

Excellent, how cool and what a great feeling you must have.

Please, please resist the urge to “improve” your Dodge. Keep it a original as possible, you will be glad you did someday. Some deals cannot be improved upon.

I suggest that you join the Walter P Chrysler club. Some of the member are assholes about preservation, but they have a wealth of knowledge and likely some goodies you might want, like trim pieces or correct fasteners.

Congrats, on your outstanding Mopar and keep having fun.

trakrodstr
    aka charlie

29. mike hamel

mike hamel

Hey charlie! Thanks for the comment. Oh no, I'm leaving her bone stock. They are only original once. That's the way it should be left and enjoyed. I take good care of her and the trucks in good hands here. I'll be sure to look at joining that club. Thanks for the info! Mike

30. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

If you ever get tired of her, I want to be first on the list to buy her from you, ok? :)

I cant describe how much I love this damn truck