Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why can't I find a 1950's childs car seat ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wayne mcMichael, Feb 18, 2012.

1. ems customer service

ems customer service

i had one too! funny thing i am cleaning out mom's house ( she passed last year) i am sure i came across it, but now i cant remember where it is now

2. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

the H.A.M.B. powered by Google search engine...:D

3. low50coupe

low50coupe

If your still looking there are two on ebay if you search 1950 chevy.

4. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

My car safety seat was that little area by the back window of my old mans VW bug.

5. In the '70s child seats were actually child carriers. They had a little handle that you could flip over the back and stand it up or you could flip ot over and carry it like one of those litt w baskets you use in the gorcery store.

There was a such a thing as a child seat that hung over the back of the seat, some of them had a little steering wheel like the seat for maggie in the simpson's. But I haven't seen one since I was very young and it was in a second hand store. They were mostly Japenese and not built very well. Doubtfull that one would still exist.

6. S.F.

S.F.

.....And I thought you were just quoting me because of my witty comment

7. Post a pic of the roadster. I am sure the hamb will come up with all kinds of ideas on how to stage the photo shoot. My thought would be that in 1924 G.G.grandson would be sitting on G.G.gramma's lap.(I hope she is still around and doing well)

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If this was the early sixties, and you were in greater Vancouver, that was probably me...

9. 61TBird

61TBird

10. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

11. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Wayne, Ive' seen them at antique shops before. Saw one that had wooden balls to slide back and forth and a steering wheel. Got to be a few out there somewhere.

12. Hey Stephen do those stripes wrap around, I'd like to see them from another angle. :D:D

Sorry I just couldn't resist.

13. Mojo

Mojo

I think they should have been called "child ejection seats". What industral designer thought that sitting a kid up high, unfastened, and in line with the windshield was a good idea?

Engineer: "Don't worry, the little ones just bounce. Soft bones you know..."

14. Algon

Algon

O/T but this reminds me of a promotion at a local store as a kid. What ever you bought that day would be filled with popcorn on the spot. Although I don't remember anything else we bought that day we did get a new trash can which was then bagged and filled completely with stale popcorn before the old man could say no... Riding in the back of mom's wagon running down the highway we rolled down the back window stretching the bag across and let the vaccuum pull the bag empty. No one was hurt but the traffic behind use cleared up a bit for a few miles.:D

15. Yes some have wooden balls or colored beads and some have small steering wheels and some have both. The one that was in our family had the little steering wheel. As I said before I want to show 5 generations in a 24 Roadster with great grandpa driving and smallest one beside him. That will make a 2 year old, 24 yr old, 45 year old, 71 year old and 92 year old all in the same photo.
    Thanks everyone for your help !

16. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

This is the one I remember they had for my little brother in our 55 Chev right down to the plaid seat and wooden beads. The little bastard was always a hellion and they should have left him by the side of the road. It would have saved them lots of headaches and heartaches later.

17. jerseymike

jerseymike

didn't sam barris put one of these seats in the '55 chevy convertible custom he built for his wife?

18. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

I have one from the late 1940's. My dad made a wooden box for my oldest brother to sit on and covered it with vinyl and padding. It even has a short vinyl flap to put your feet on, thus keeping the seat clean.

Six kids used it for over 20 years, without a scratch on anyone, but I'd probably get pulled over if it was used today.

19. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

how indeed! so excuse us if we did'ent leave the planet in prestine shape. we were busy opening the garage by hand and getting up to change the t.v.!

20. Yep! ... except his wife's custom was actually a '54 Ford vert with '55 Chevy headlight brows ...

[​IMG]

... for more pics & info, see Ryan's "Sam's Safe Car" TJJ Blog & the resultant discussion thread.

21. S.F.

S.F.

actually, they do wrap around too a pattern all the way up her back.

22. Damn!

23. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

pictures please.

24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Yes we must see pics.

25. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

not so. "safety" was questionable, but they were there. I picked one up from an estate collection for the museum I run before christmas. still in the original box from the mid 50's. basically a pretty painted wooden box. I'll try and grab some pics this week for reference.

they're there, but I'm guessing few and far between.

26. huskersnb2

huskersnb2
    from nebraska

hello wayne i aint got a picture of mine but i got a very old child seat i got from a salvage yard cars have been there many years and yes i found it in a 56 belair hardtop ill have to get a picture and post it to see if anyone know its age

27. S.F.

S.F.

lol jeff! im tellin! haha. mods made me change it...Im not complaining, I was pushing it alittle. :D

28. Post #28 kills me! Dat's some funny!

29. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I can remember being about 2 or so and being assigned the package tray in a 31 Buick coupe. Life was different then and not always better.