Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why can't I find a 1950's childs car seat ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wayne mcMichael, Feb 18, 2012.

1. big creep

big creep

that last post is great!

2. S.F.

S.F.

I like this one, kid sits up high. small base. top heavy. Ensured to hurl the child into the center of the windshield at maximum velocity. Very stylish design though.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  3. Pharouh

Pharouh

Oh yeah, Sitting on my dad's lap 'steering' while going down a road at 35 . Or standing behind the front seat. Real safe.

4. onedge

onedge

I can't believe all this :eek: And I was actually left by my mother in a nice 57 chebbie hit by 49 AD truck:( in 69. I survived sitting in passenger seat saw the whole thing coming! Mom went on up the side walk to the VFW.:D

5. The one pictured on the box with the little steering wheel is exactly what I am looking for. Thank you everyone for your help and the comments both serious and funny !
    Wayne [email protected]
    please email if you can help me find one or if you have one for sale !

6. If nothing else it brought back a lot of memories ! Thanks guys !

7. Little kids usually stood on the back seat so they could see out the windows, mine did and they're all still alive!

8. Lild

Lild

I was born in the early 70s and my car seat was my moms lap. I didnt know they had car seats as far back as these

9. cheveey57

cheveey57

10. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

If you find one, post up some pics. These things are kinda cool!

Attached Files:

11. I had one too...somewhere, my mom has a photo of me in it.

In a serious wreck, the thing would've been a mess.

12. Orange54

Orange54
    from Missouri

Someone told me newborns and small babies were put on a pillow on the floorboard.

If you stopped at a motel they put them in the dresser drawer on a pillow.

13. In 1974 my whole family was in our 71 Chevy pickup....dad driving, mom by the window, me, my brother and baby sister in the middle.

A guy ran a red light and slammed us pretty hard in the right front fender. Mom saw it coming and sort of laid across us kids....put herself between the dashboard and us as best she could in that split second.

She ended up on the floorboard of the car with us three on top of her. Dad partially ate the steering wheel with his chest.

I remember all of us crying and mom slowly extracating herself from the floor of the car saying that she was alright....no problem.....and dad saying the same thing.

20 years later, I asked about it and found out that she was banged up pretty bad and was black and blue all down her back and legs. She just never mentioned it and took it in stride so us kids didn't have to worry about it.

Different times. I'm glad I was raised back before everyone was encouraged to act like sissies.

14. i'm 64 I only remember standing up in the back holding on to the frt seat yelling into my parents ears along with 4 other siblings and the baby was on the frt seat. the only seats I ever saw were the fabric ones and people would take them everywhere and hook it to any thing and were used only for babies that couldn't walk yet.

15. They don't exactly look complicated. I'm betting you could make one in an afternoon. Get some light tubing/flat stock, and have the misses get out the sewing machine, and start stitching.

16. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

On long trips I rode up on the rear package tray under the rear window.

17. I am just on this thread to view your new avatar!:eek::D

18. GREASER815

GREASER815

You have one, your sitting on it everytime you drive your car.

19. Deuces

Deuces

How do you think she became a mom???... :rolleyes::D

20. That's what I love about the Hamb, always people willing to share their assumptions as fact. Of course, there were child seats in the 50's. Don't you guys remember these pictures?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  21. I used to travel in the luggage space behind the back seat in our 59 VW. Comfortable, warm and a nice buzz from the engine.

22. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I can barely remember riding in one of those car seats with the steering wheel and squeeky horn which my two sisters used the same car seat so maybe its in the attic somewhere,I remember laying on the package shelf in grampas car and riding behind the rear seat in moms VW which usually was fought over until someone was too big to fit there.

23. Here is another pic.

Attached Files:

24. Deuces

Deuces

You guys ever cruised behind a station wagon with kids hangin' out the back window making funny faces at ya?? Or they were flipping you off???.. (I wonder where they learned that from... :rolleyes:) And the family mutt with drool rolling down the tail gate????...:eek: That's the way it was back then...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  25. The37Kid

The37Kid

This is the oldest childs seat I've seen back in 1964. Back in the "Golden Days" of the Antique car hobby, father and son along with grandson packed a picnic lunch and DROVE the hour long trip to a car show.

Attached Files:

26. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

My grandaddy bought a new 1972 Chevy truck and immediately mounted the spare tire upright in the bed near the tailgate. My car seat when I was a kid was to lean up against the tire as a backrest. I did that for a while until in finally got wise enough to figure out that all of those bugs that were hitting me in the face were just tabacco juice. I started riding on top of the big tool box that set across the bed near the cab then. I would have been toast had we ever got into a wreck, but I'm glad I can say that we used to do that. We always had a tractor in tow too on the way to the hay fields.

27. 61TBird

61TBird

28. ^^^^That's Funny^^^^

29. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

30. i built one for a friend to use as a prop at shows, i made it from 1/8 x 1" steel strips. two bent to go over the back of the seat, connected by a couple strips, then two "hoops", one mid way, the other at the bottom to make the seat. these were connected by a strip for between the kids legs. my friend made a cushion for the bottom and back.