Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why can't I find a 1950's childs car seat ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wayne mcMichael, Feb 18, 2012.

1. I have been advertiseing for 2 years to find an antique or vintage car seat for a toddler. No responses ? Were they all recalled, thrown out or wore out. You would think somebody has one in a garage or a barn. I want it as a photo prop for my grandson only. Please help if you can !!
    wayne at [email protected]

2. Here's the thing, Wayne: there never were any. Child safety seats were a product of the 70's, and were very rare even then.

Cosmo

3. storm king

storm king

What Cosmo said. People weren't afraid of their own shadow, or have a gov't mandated nanny state telling them what they had to do. Seat belts weren't even standard equipment...

4. GTS225

GTS225

and even then, they weren't mandatory. If I'm not mistaken, most states never made a law about them until the 90's.

Roger

5. Rowdy_one

Rowdy_one
    from Oh

Didnt have safety seats like they do now. Saw one at an antique mall near cincy a while back, hung over the back of the seat, had a steering wheel for the kid to play with. not tied down an anyway, just kinda raised them up so kid had a straighter shot at the windshield

6. JD Miller

JD Miller

Now thats funny !

As a kid we had no seat belts either. Road a bike with no helmet(offroad too), even road skate boards with no pads.

You could even get swats with a heavy paddle in grade school, not to mention teachers that swated you with a thick yard stick

My goodness,,, How did I survive without the Guberment Nanny B.S. ?

7. The one you describe is exactly the one I am looking for.
    Thanks to you all, Wayne

8. Rowdy_one

Rowdy_one
    from Oh

better expaination, wasnt safety in anyway, just a place to put your kid

9. Car seat? hell.... we rode on the dog tray!!!

10. They had a chair in the late fifties and early sixties that was called a wonder chair that you slid under the seat back and it converted into a high chair that you could take into the house. It was sold door to door by salesman like the Fuller Brush man.

11. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

Anybody else nap over the transmission hump on the back floor? Change seats with the brother/sister in the middle front seat while the car was moving? :eek:

At least nobody was texting!

(go with a new car seat)

12. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

It is true, they did exist, cheesy steel tubing that unfolded to go over the top of the seat and a flimsy plastic/canvas seat. One leg on each side with a vertical bar in the center. Big white plastic steering wheel and a 'horn' button that squeaked. I know because I had one, as in I rode in one, I remember once s - t - r - e - t - c - h - i - n - g my left leg to hit the gas pedal when my old man was backing into a parking space. He was turned around looking out back and the gas pedal was in the clear. 1953 Chevy four door with Powerglide - his only new car his entire life.

It is weird, but I have not seen one of these things since back in the day, either. Maybe the guys in the black helicopters rounded them all up.

13. MRTS33

MRTS33

:d:d:d:d:dlol!!!

14. "Alls I remember doc is seeing the globe of the world as I slid off the nylon plaid seats and into the dash of Daddy's '55 Olds!"

15. Rowdy_one

Rowdy_one
    from Oh

sent you a message

16. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

I was born in 61 and my sis in 68. we never knew about any car safety seat. hell I never used a seat belt till I was about 20! we used to stand up in the car or hang over the front seat back. dads idea of safety was to stick out his free hand in front of us to hold us in place in case of a hard stop! My designated seat in dads 67 chevy van was on the engine cover which would have made a great launch pad through the windshild in a crash.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  17. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

[​IMG]

From around 1936...

[​IMG]

20 years later, just look at the advancements made!

[​IMG]

18. bigbubba

bigbubba

We still do all those things here! Well minus the lead based paint.I still have my crib with chew marks where i ate alot of lead based paint!

19. sunbeam

sunbeam

If you look inside a 49 Olds you will see what I got to use.

20. New car seat won't do/ it is for a five generation family photo ( never to be used on the road ) with great grandpa behind the wheel of the 1924 Roadster and great, great grandson in the chair !
    Thanks wayne

21. wvenfield

wvenfield

I'm sure someone will now run across one. Post up if you find one because otherwise I'd rather not look. :D

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Uh, 'cause the early ones were crazy-dangerous.

23. username

username

My Mom said my "car seat" in the early 70's was a basket. She said it had nothing to do with safety, it was just to contain.

My Dad also did the extended arm out to keep us from smashing into the dash (metal dash). Even after the passenger door flew open while making a hard left hand turn and my step brother flying half way out the door (my Dad barely grabbed him) we still never wore seat belts.

Its funny we never did the seat belts but you wouldn't even consider riding your motorcycle without a helmet (my Dad's rules).

There is no comparison, growing up in the 70's & early 80's was way better than growing up and being a kid today.

24. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

25. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I grew up in a state without a helmet law, but still wore one. Never understood going without. I have been hit in the head by sand, rocks, junebugs, bolts, chunks of tire, etc. Can't imagine if it was my FACE taking the hit, and not my helmet.

27. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

28. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

29. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods