Register now to get rid of these ads!

Welding Without Gloves?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PhilJohnson, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Ricola

Ricola
    from MN

A good friend of mine lost his brother that way. Welder at the mines. Tacked all the time without gloves. He had a sore on his finger that wouldn't heal. He went to the doc and they took the finger. A couple months later more sores, they took his hand. Then the arm to the elbo, then to the shoulder. Never made it out of the hospital after the last opporation. All they could do was pump him full of mophine until he stopped gasping for air. It's a horrible, painful, regret filled way to die. The emotional scars that it leaves on family weighs on them for the rest of their lives. He left some little kids and a wife with nothing but a motgage and a funeral bill.

2. Ole'32

Ole'32
    from Arizona

Yeah you need to be wearing gloves. There is a reason they make welding gloves! Change your ways and get some gloves!!

Bryson

3. tjmercury

tjmercury

Gloves are cheap compared to medical bills

4. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Good advice guys ! I usually wear gloves but sometimes get a little lazy when doing a quick job. No more ....its gloves for me all the time from here on.

5. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Not taken too seriously from someone in Holland that's inside their blow-up doll with 518
    unconstructive posts.

You care to elaborate, or are we to presume?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  6. oj

oj

Thanks for posting, i read thru the section and they say that there is uv emittance. As i said, i have never noticed any problem so it must be low level but i will use eyeprotection.

7. Ricola

Ricola
    from MN

Here's my cheap welding jacket. I added the patch because I'm a krazy basterd. It was low buck and it's thin for hot days. No excuses. Please protect yourselves guy's. You'll spend 2k on a set of tires and wheels but won't spend $ 20.00 to safe your life...

Attached Files:

8. 31Slim

31Slim

I always wear gloves, just a good idea

9. Curt B

Curt B

Only once have I seen a business owner weld in the nude and it was right here on the HAMB. Try welding with a laser….it will cook your retinas like ants under a magnifying glass and blind you instantly if viewed directly.

Attached Files:

10. Buzzard II

Buzzard II

Hey guys-stupid is not knowing and not caring to know. Stupid can't be fixed. Ignorance is not knowing , but trying to find out. Phil now knows he better wear gloves for more reasons than one. I'm sure others found out what not to do here too! Always wear gloves. Always wear eye and face protection and wear 100% cotton clothes-leather on top.

11. 117harv

117harv

Anyone who thinks this won't do damage:eek:

No light duty gloves here, i use thick ones and can lay my hand on hotter areas as well as hold closer to the cup when needed:)

Attached Files:

12. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Its fine as long as you also DO NOT wear a helmet, that way you wont see the skin cancer you"ll develop.. Problem solved.

13. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Thanks Curt....................I knew there was somebody.
    Is that somebody you?

14. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

Phil get good welding Gloves, a cotton long sleeve shirt or welding jacket
    you have the darkening helmet that's good

I went to a welding class in Illinois my friend was taking the instructor said i could sit in
    first thing out of his mouth put safety glasses on under the helmet or leave the class room
    a guy asked why safety glass? he then took out photos of 20 guys that had slag that popped off and burnt in the eye
    that ended the Why
    the answer spoke a Thousand word loud and clear

15. No problem. I think the thing with plasma is most of the arc is under the metal you are cutting so it is not as noticeable and you don't think about it like a welding arc.

16. A Rodder

A Rodder

WEAK......... He is wearing socks and shoes!

17. My grandfather was a tough guy like you, and didn't think that this stuff was needed, he died of melanoma cancer at the age of 59! Really......... go get some gloves, and spend the extra money for good ones.

18. afaulk

afaulk

I TIG weld mostly and like the thin leather gloves like ropers wear. Fairly good protection but ya can still "feel" your welding rod and torch. Also not as sweaty at 100 deg F. as real welding gloves. Of course you don't get a lot of sparks or cherries with TIG, as with stick or MIG.

19. Ya know it is funny but when I was a young man a doctor told me the same thing about eyes. Mine are hazel so not always blue not always green and gray a lot of the time. I used to be real susceptible to flash burn. Now that I am older not so much; I asked my eye doctor and he said it is because of UV protection in modern glasses. I still try to wear eye protection always.

I don't want to discount anyone's stories about lost friends and I certainly don't want to try and make your friends or relatives death trivial by what I am going to say. The truth of the matter is that very few people just lie down and go to sleep and not wake up. The overwhelming majority of people that pass on are sick when it happens. My mom is currently dieing of lung cancer. She never smoked a day in her life, nor did she work in a garage, or run a dragster on hydrazine, or weld or... You get my point right?

Some of us are going to take every precaution and we are going to get some disease and die anyway. That is just a fact of life. Others are going to throw caution to the wind and live to be extremely old and happy as a duck before we check out.

Should one wear gloves when they weld, no doubt a good idea. Am I going to look for a pair of gloves every time I strike and arc, probably not. Do I spend any time worrying about it, no I don't. How do I think that I am going to check out? I'll probably get too damned slow to get the gun away from the other guy, or not. Only time will tell.

20. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I'm sorry to hear that my friend.

21. IFABSTUFF

IFABSTUFF

im right handed, I wear a leather glove on my left and a jersey glove on my right. Left hand tends to take the heat more due to my personal technique. Im with the rest of the crowd on safety first save an owie :D

22. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

i wont do anything without gloves that have cuffs around the wrist. had a loose ended glove and got a spark stuck down in it. couldnt get the hand out fast enough. burned my ass off

23. Hudson27

Hudson27
    from Indiana

I always use leather gloves when doing anything more than tack welds. Not for uv protection, I just prefer not to burn myself when I don't have to.

24. jmpowie

jmpowie

Its kinda funny how many people say it how dumb it is to not were gloves because of skin cancer. But how many people were a real respirator when welding? Lung cancer is sucks too.

25. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I wear eye protection when welding. I TIG weld with a glove on right hand and feed filler wire with bare hand on left hand. It is real hard to roll the wire with a glove on. I know it is not good.

Ago

26. hogridenfool

hogridenfool
    from chicago

I wear a welding jacket and button it from the neck down glove's and a hat no matter how hot it is outside for all welding,I've seen guy's with welding burns on their neck's it's a good way to get thyroid cancer.
    I also seen one of the guy's I work with washing his hand's in the part's washing tank or using brake clean to wash his hand's,the solvent's in that stuff will attack your kidney's people just don't read the warning label's or msds data???

27. IFABSTUFF

IFABSTUFF

lol I was thinking the same thing! At my work there was a guy who got sick and hospitalized for smoke inhalation while building a tank. Think it was high magnezium? So they picked up some big ass smoke suckers and bought "a" speedglass hood with fresh air flow regulator to ease OSHA. However no one has ever used the hood, I tend to use the smoke suckers. Mostly when welding stainless steel, and sometimes when welding structural.

28. vg62truck

vg62truck

two words,,,, DUMB ASS

29. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Obviously there is a reason someone invented the safety gear so you should wear it. Like smoking,seatbelts,condoms,food, it's your choice. I prefer to wear gloves and leathers because when I'm welding I wanna be calm, not wound up like a spring waitin for a cherry to fall.

30. amen to that one!!!