Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jerry's 32 3 Window / Hemi Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HomemadeHardtop57, Jul 13, 2011.

1. demonsix

demonsix

Looks great! Hemi fits nice between the rails.

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Looks great!!!! Love it! I need to graft a bell on my steering column as well because there is a hideous gap in between the steering wheel.

3. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

This car is cool. Love the old chrome, especially the shell. Hope you can figure out a way to patch it.

4. farmer12

farmer12

Looking great, looks like the Hemi belongs there! Nice work!

5. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Actually it was..no trial and error..at least not this time. There's been lots of cutting and welding..try going back a few pages and check out the frame patching, K member pics.

All of the preplanning and measuring for the engine placement occurred while we made the K member for the chassis. While we had the engine in the test stand with a radiator in front...I took a measurement from the back of the radiator in the test stand to the mounting holes on the tranny...measuring the total length of the engine, bellhousing, and tranny. We fitted the K member and made the tranny plate..and welded them in using those measurements for engine and tranny placement. The motor was lowered in with the tranny attached..the tranny was bolted down to the holes in the plate..in the K member...the front of the motor was lowered and the frame mounts for the motor welded on. It fit perfect actually. A couple things I had to do were enlarge one of the holes in the K member for linkage clearance and cut out the bottom of the firewall..other than that it went right in. We got the angle degree very close..but there's plenty of room underneath for shimming if I have to. Measure ten times cut once :)

I think I have it figured out..we'll see ! I love the old chrome too.

Thanks!!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  6. kisam

kisam

Beautiful work!

7. patman

patman

<sigh> Well, there's that way too...

Nice work!

8. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Got the steering column in and modified an early Ford steering drop to work. Everything fits pretty good. Ripped the driveshaft out of a 36 rear I had, cut the ends off, and degreased it. Going to cut it in half and use it as part of my exhaust system. Not too much done this weekend because I had to do some painting for a friend.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  9. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Jerry...... this car is going to be your best achievement so far, and you'd already set the bar pretty damn high with your previous builds! I think you're my new idol.....

Do you listen to Jazz while you're working? ;^)

Brucie

10. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

jerry could you get a good picture of your generator mount with the pulleys lined up. where did you get your pulleys from and what modifications did you have to make to get it lined up. thanks

11. 60 ford

60 ford

Great thread for an awesome build. Your car is killer.

12. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

About a 1/4 inch aluminum spacer was put on behind the crankshaft pulley to space it out. The pulleys are chrome chevy ones. The generator was hung using the stock GM bar that runs between the tabs on the generator. I drilled holes in it and mounted it directly to the side of the manifold where one would have mounted originally. I lined it up with the water pump pulley and put my holes in the brace where they needed to go so things were in alignment.

The front support is just an old chrome aftermarket shortened at the bottom and mounted off a homemade brace bolted on to the top water pump bolts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Here's a pic of the steering set up finished. 49 truck column with 40 bell at the top, 46 Lincoln wheel, and early Ford column drop. The upper half of a 40 shaft was welded to the pickup lower half inside so I'd have a keyway for my wheel

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  14. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Started making pieces for the lower firewall. Got things fitted and tacked in and notched out at the top for my magneto. When I yank the motor out again I'll weld up the extra holes and put a finish weld on the new lower pieces

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  16. fleetside66

fleetside66

It's gonna be in the 60's the next two days, Jerry. Call in sick, open the doors & weld away!

17. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Had some time after work today and decided that I wanted to drop the rear a little more. Took the spring out and reversed the main leaf. This was done with a small shop press. We traced the curve of the leaf on the table, put the spring in the press and bent it backwards until we had the same shape and matched the pattern traced on the table.

[​IMG]

18. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Does cold bending a leaf spring backwards effect its strength?

Ago

19. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

No...when it's heated, that's when you run into problems. Also, a high arch rear spring like a model T or A you can't do because of the amount of tension you'd put on the spring getting the arch correct. 32 and up you're ok.

20. slepe67

slepe67

Lookin good my man. Lookin good.

21. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

This weekend I removed some old bondo from a couple places exposing some bad repairs. There is a few spots like this along the lower belt line on the car. Tonight I used my beadroller and made some patch panels after cutting the rot and braze out from a couple spots. Got one piece roughed in. A little more finish work with some sanding discs and some hammer and dollyin and it will be good as new.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. fatabone

fatabone

Man, your rolling Jerry.

23. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Long time..no update

Lots of time consuming tedious work the past couple weeks. After removing a ton of bondo from the lower beltline on each side of the car I found about 4 places on each side that were swiss cheese. I made new beads..cut the old out and welded the new in. I also had to refit the trunk lid as I think the skin moved a little when I welded it back on to the inner stucture..cut it loose and started over and got it fits real good now. I blew a thin coat of primer on it to keep the flash rust off..it's a bitch cleaning off the metal when its loaded with louvers.

[​IMG]

There were two soft spots on top of the cowl after removing the old lead. I cut them out, made patch panels, and butt welded them in. I also straightened out the cowl vent.

[​IMG]

I also started on the passenger side rocker. Needed to make a piece to join the rocker to the subrail. Cut a piece of steel out..rolled a bead down the middle and started welding it in. Ran out of argon so going to have to wait until tomorrow. When it's welded in things should look nice and clean and more importantly strong. Crappy pic
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  24. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Looking great Jerry

25. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

26. Koz

Koz

Damn Jerry! Those Edmunds air cleaners are worth more than my whole car.

Seriously lookin' good. I need to stop by over the weekend to seek out some parts. I'll swing by and check out the progress.

27. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

A little more progress

I got the driver side rocker done tonight and fitted some original sill plates. Clark gave me a pair of mangled 3 window door sills out of Tim's 32 that I straighted out and fitted to the new rockers.

I also repaired the vertical quarter body supports. The old ones were torched out and cobbed back together. I cut the crap out, made new lower sections and welded them in solid.

Next I'm going to take the rear wheels back off and fix the lower wheel well areas on both sides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. What a bitchen car. Great start.

29. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Thanks guys for the kind works and encouragment. I appreciate it.

30. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

I little more done today. The front inside cowl side supports were gone. I made some new ones out of 16 guage and welded them in.

[​IMG]

My support rod brackets on the firewall needed to be relocated so the rods would clear the carbs. I moved the brackets over about an inch and made up and polished some new support rods. Also fitted my radiator in too.

[​IMG]

and a shot of this weekends work..rear quarter supports in. rockers finished, door sill plates straightened and installed, front cowl supports done, radiator fitted and installed, and cowl brackets and supports rods on....the list is getting shorter..

[​IMG]