Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A hot rods - Flames or No?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Skunk Works, Feb 16, 2012.

?
  1. Flames

49 vote(s)
    50.5%
  2. Scallops

15 vote(s)
    15.5%
  3. Other

35 vote(s)
    36.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Skunk Works

Skunk Works

Getting close to paint for a 30 Ford on 32 rails. I've always wanted a hot rod with a flame paint job, but I've had friends tell me flames DON'T look good on a Model A. I know it's my car and I should do what makes me happy, but I thought I'd take a poll. I've seen good flame jobs and bad flame jobs and I think the difference comes down to design and proportion. Friends say straight vertical pillars on a Model A will make any flame design look bad. Scallops were suggested as an alternative... So, I've been searching through posts with lots of Model A's and comparing paint jobs...

What do you guys think? Post examples "for" or "against" if you have them.

2. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I wouldnt paint flames on a model a ,Even though I did think about it for mine ,Reasoning for mine was not traditional ,Basically takes it into a custom in the 50's era .It would of fit my theme but I wanted an older bold look,

3. flamed34

flamed34

I think a lot depends on the build. Flames can look good on a full fendered sedan or coupe in my personal opinion. I don't care for them as much on fenderless cars and roadsters.

And of course, the layout and execution can make or brake 'em.

4. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Flame it ! Its a Hotrod .

5. coupemerc

coupemerc

I say... who cares what anybody thinks? It's your car. Paint it the way you want and go drive the wheels off it.

6. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is the third or fourth version of flames on my little car, but truthfully, I have never really liked any of em. Maybe I'll get it right next time...

[​IMG]

-Abone.

7. xlr8er

xlr8er

FLAME IT!! I just finished mine in December and can't wait till the weather warms up a bit!!

You have to be careful with flames on a Model A. Because there are no door jams, flames extending beyond the door into the rear quarter panel will have a 'step' in them depending on what angle you are looking from. It took a few tries, but I had mine end BEFORE where the door and quarter panel meet.

I think flames in general if not done just right can go horribly wrong. In the end, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. If you've always wanted a flamed hot rod, go for it!! Best of luck!!

Attached Files:

8. Skunk Works

Skunk Works

Here's a rendering with the body modifications, if it helps visualize the proportions:

Attached Files:

9. Skunk Works

Skunk Works

Also a picture of a flame job I really like (color, proportion AND design). I think this truck was done by Austin Speed Shop. This truck has LOTS of curves though, and I think it helps as you look at the flames. Same paint on a Model A might not work so well...

Attached Files:

10. terry48435

terry48435

Ditto

11. Skunk Works

Skunk Works

xlr8er: Your car looks AWESOME!!! I think it epitomizes what most average people visualize when you talk about "hot rods". I agree with not going past the door, although that won't be much of a problem for me since it's a pickup cab.

12. fordsteel

fordsteel
    from Elkland PA

Its your car do what you want...but i prefer scallops

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

One nice solid color and a good pinstripe is all you need.

14. chevydave1965

chevydave1965
    from Iowa

15. you always wanted a hot rod with flames...put flames on it.

16. millersgarage

millersgarage

17. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You only go around once, make yourself happy.

Personally, I think it is hard to put flames on a car like that, probably because from what I have seen they generally put too much on. You are lucky in that you have a '30 so you can start on the cowl and have them go into the door, but I would pretty much keep it there.

Enjoy it!

18. F&J

F&J

I tried to find the pic, but can't... an A channeled roadster with very old styled, and unusual color flames. Not what you see these days, but it fit this car because of the bright white top, WWW, fenderless, and unusual old style body color.

To make it work, the flames need to blend with the build style IMO

and I also can see scallops if you match the build style.

19. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I LOVE LOVE LOVE flames........but I'm not a "fan" of flames on a Model A without fenders...and NEVER on a PU....

Now metalflake on the other hand......rules on anything.....hahahahaha

20. Skunk Works

Skunk Works

So far, votes are leaning towards flames. Thanks for all the advice and for those who don't care what others think.

flamed 34: I agree, flames tend to look better on this body style WITH fenders. I think it's because curves in the fenders compliment curves in the flames and therefore, make it more pleasing to the eye.

Sinister Custom: Although it's a PU, any type of flames would have to stay in the same area that would be flamed on a car.

21. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

You really need long panels to work with if you want the flames to flow properly. Short fat licks just look like deformed crab claws. It might could be done on a Model A, but I ain't seen it done right yet on one.

22. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

i always put flames on dam near everthing i have ever had ,guess thats why they call em' hot rods !

23. Butch11443

Butch11443

I like flames, but I'm running a full fendered 31 PK.
    Butch

Attached Files:

24. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You like flames, and I vote for flames. But...

Keep in mind, that the earliest flame-jobs on hot rods were similar to what had been seen on war-planes and circle-track cars. And the licks on those flames were generally short...and kinda fat...and often hand-painted, and not extremely refined. IMO, nearly all the flame-jobs these days are way too looong...and narrow. "Ribbon flames" are the worst. For a real old timey look on a car such as yours, consider not even going into the door...or at least very much. Keep them limited either mostly, or completely to the cowl. I know some guys would say "What?!" to that notion, but I say that's how they were done in the early days...especially on a homebuilt-style hot rod.

25. whisky runner

whisky runner

flames flames and more flames..ha ha ha ..but like has been said to much is just too much

26. This is just my own personal opinion so here goes:

First off;do you have a full hood? Partial? No hood?

A full hood allows for a pretty nice layout. If you are just running a top panel I wouldn't put flames on it. If you have no hood I would paint just the body sides extending no further than about two thirds of the way down the door. I would also only use a maximum of two colors with a third outline color. I would not be in favor of painting them on the cowl as they have to be made way too short. I would not do them on the roof.

Assuming the car is black(or a dark color) I would opt to paint them a base orange-red and fogging a transparent purple around the curves of the claws for a highlight and striping them in an off white(ivory).If you have a light car color I would not flame it at all.

Given the height of the door, you can probably get about 6-7 licks in without making it look crowded and DO NOT interweave the licks! That does nothing for flames.

27. Skunk Works

Skunk Works

Butch11443: Thanks for the picture. I think flames always look good on these types of fenders. Probably because of the curves.

Oldern' dirt: Thanks for the picture...Awesome! I think those would be considered "sea weed" flames...usually more for a custom, but I think they work here because of proportion.

Rickybop: I've considered the "cowl only" route, mostly for the reasons you've mentioned, but that can easily get into the "deformed crab claw" that "48 Chubby" commented about.

28. Skunk Works

Skunk Works

Here's a picture that I think captures what Rickybop is saying:

Attached Files: