Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mr. C's Garage (Gary Cochran's Competition Dragster Restoration)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Chuy, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Well, still not really sure. It depends on what we can get. Both the algon and showerhead injector are hard parts to locate with all the parts. Judging by your HAMB name you might have a low rise injector for a bb ford?

2. Algon

Algon

Actually I do have an Algon FE and some extras. For what it's worth I'm not looking for someone's so called speed "secrets".:rolleyes: The dragster is a cool find just wondering what it will be now.

3. oldbutstillyoung

oldbutstillyoung

Well see you guy's in Bakersfield [ the beaver hunter old farts]

4. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Were leaning towards the blown 427 but cash is king and right now ours a little light but were trying. Thanks for checking out the build and we"ll try and have More details coming up.

5. saychz316

saychz316

looks good sailor!! cant wait to see it finished. :p

6. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Thanks captain jack!!

7. Thanks for letting us see this thing go back together!

8. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Oldbutstillyoung-we had a good time at the CHRR, your car was really thumpin all weekend long. We're hoping to be running by then and sounding as good as your car!!

9. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

Love the history and nice to see another one saved.

10. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

These are center logo M/T valve covers and are real early and hard to locate. If anyone has any info that leads me to these covers, please pm me the contact info or price.

Attached Files:

11. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Found a shower head enderle the vertex mag and the M/T offset mag drive and extension for the fuel pump. We call the cover Van Gogh it is missing one ear but not for long. The injector looks a little rough but we will get it tuned up. And the offset drive was what was holding up the whole car. Without it we were going no where.....

Attached Files:

12. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

That's great to see you guys are finding parts. I'm looking forward to seeing the car again.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  13. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

We were looking at the body today and never noticed this on the cowl panel we had repaired on the bottom. This was split in two and we had it reinforced. Business card in the fiberglass for CAL automotive Inc.
    Pretty neat. If you zoom in you can see Tex's name in it.

Attached Files:

14. Max Blast

Max Blast

Chuy,

I am in the middle of building a comp roadster originally inspired by the Mr. C car. So glad you found it and are doing what you are doing. I have been gathering pieces and parts for five years to do this sort-of-tribute dragster. I was just a kid when I saw these cars run at Lions but I still know someone who was a competitor with Gary and remembers that car very well.

I just live up the 405 a ways from you and would sure love to get a chance to come see the real-deal car if for nothing else but inspiration/commitment reasons. I'm not building a re-creation car just an expression of my love for that era. It'll have current cage etc.

The car is for Open Wheel Eliminator at the ANRA events at Bakersfield and probably the Eagle Field stuff as well.

Good Luck with the project, please contact me if you are open to a visit.

Max Blast
    Early Riders Rust T
    Open Wheel Champion 2007

15. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Thanks for the interest in the project and glad to know this car is an inspiration for your current build. As much as I would like to share the car in person with you I really can't It's only cause it's at a friends/partners shop in a top secret location. Some of the stuff we put on here is to show some progress and to show everyone our same passion we all have for these cars and their historical value. We hope to unveil the car at this years CHRR. If we get the car going and you see us at the Reunion come on over and talk to us. Were always open for questions and will always try and answer any questions we feel we can answer. I hope you understand our position on visits before the unveiling.
    Thanks again for checking this out and I'm sure Gary Cochran will/would be flattered to hear that he has inspired you to buil your car. I wish you luck on your journey and hope it all pans out.

16. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Showerhead injector polished and flowed....ain't she neat?

Attached Files:

17. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Tomorrow I will add some pics if the injector torn down before it became what you see on the precious post.

18. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

It's supposed to say previous post... Not precious. This is all done from my iPhone sorry for any mistypes.

19. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

The injector looks bitchin. I dig the the framed Hot Rod Parts in the background.

20. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

That was totally done on purpose!! Glad you like it. I'll include some more pics today.

21. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Where to start
    We were lucky to find this Bug Catcher, we were also looking for a Barn Door Enderle as well. As the car had run one or the other at different times.Found this one on the H.A.M.B.

Attached Files:

22. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

fuel injectors like this one are not as complicated as what they are running today. But they still need to be setup right or you can get into big trouble! Finding one as complete as this one is next to impossible. What you usually find is the "Hat" with no barrel valve or nozzles. All the parts were set aside and the hat was sent off to polish.
    This is what we are talking about when we say shower heads, not like the nozzles you see in injectors today.

Attached Files:

23. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Would like to thank Jim out at enderle for making up the lines with the original fittings. That made it look just right and period correct.
    All the stuff you see on the thread is bought and paid for and is worth every penny!!

24. rick finch

rick finch

Great shot! Most people have never seen what is under or inside a "hat"....;)

[​IMG]

25. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

You held it the other night... You know how much rooms in there haha!

26. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Redoing the rear push bar...thank god our girlfriends are extremely supportive of this project and are looking forward to seeing this done, just as we are...

Attached Files:

27. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

28. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Not sure if I can say it enough but thanks to everyone that has subscribed to see this thing through and thanks to those that have helped us either locate parts or try to locate parts. It's nice to see total strangers come together with a common goal.

29. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Hey Robert, Speaking of commom goals ,Thanks for hooking me up with Frank ,It worked out good for both of us, Still watching for the covers out this way, Talk to you later, Tim Jones

30. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Anytime!! That's what this is all about!!