Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Enough monkeying around: let's build a 5w, or another 4dr bites the big one.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by thunderbirdesq, Dec 22, 2011.

1. You can't build cars that cheap! It's making the checkbookers feel bad.....;)

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Note to self: Offer Andy 10k in two years when he's ready to sell.

3. Note to self: Offer Andy 11k in two years when he's ready to sell.

:D:D:D

4. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Looking Good...

5. I like it!! I want to follow this.

6. mramc1

mramc1

Andy,

You're making awesome progress. The car looks great!

7. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

dang dude. i feel like a slacker...

8. Taff

Taff

your metal working skills are an absolute gift, wish i was half as talented.
    The work you did on the grille alone, wonderful to see stuff being repaired like that.
    Love it, really love it

9. umassjj

umassjj
    from MA

sub.fricken.scribed. Killer!

10. 4ever18

4ever18

Excellent progress, sir! You mentioned dreading the upper decklid opening repair. Don Smart (828-874-4609) makes just the piece to take the dread out of this portion of your project. Here's a couple of photos. He makes both the three window and the five window versions.

Attached Files:

11. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I am enjoying this thread immensely.

12. Me too! Looking forward to the chop.

13. tbauer

tbauer

Great skills! I'm watching and learning.

14. groundpounder

groundpounder
    Member Emeritus

Absolutely incredible!....hats off to ya Andy!

15. Noland

Noland

looking awesome, wish I worked this fast. this thread moves so fast its hard to keep track of everything you do.

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Lots of progress on this since the last time I looked in on it. Looking forward to seeing the chop. Bob

17. I'm speechless. You took a bunch of cast-off, junk parts and built a 5-window.

To me, that's hot-rodding in it's purest form. Love this thread!!

18. portcity27t

portcity27t

hey brotha its gary p, spoke w macgill today and he told me to check out this build.....sick as always! just snagged snake's roadster pick up and getting started on that very soon.....so of course i'll be in touch! very impressed with what you did in so little time my man.

19. ^Find the Private Message toggle and welcome to HAMB! :D

20. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Good lord, Andy is THE MAN !!!

21. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Just found this thread, Andy your work is not only fast but good! Good luck and I will be watching this, wish I had half your energy.

22. Note to self......... Rob a bank and get at least $12,000 to offer Andy for the 5 window

23. 46nutt

46nutt

24. Are you gonna acid dip it and then coat it with some NASA 5 part epoxy primer applied in a zero gravity vaccuum atmoshpere when you're done? I didn't think so......Love this build, go man go!!!!!!!

25. I am a slacker. :D

I'll i think of when I open this build is Waynes world and "we're not worthy"

26. That thing is really coming together in a hurry!

27. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Thanks guys, you are too kind!

I spent the weekend helping my folks clear some of their property in PA, so I was thoroughly whooped when I got home yesterday... consequently, nothing exciting got done. I fit the new kingpin kit, also pulled the rear hubs and rebuilt the rear brakes. I'm not too impressed with the condition of the rear wheel bearing surfaces on this rear... kinda pitted and beat the hell up on both sides, axles look pretty nice. Probably would be fine to run around locally with, but they will definitely need replaced for any long hauls. The old bearings look nice... weird. I'm going to leave them in there for now, no sense in wrecking my new bearings on crappy old races... I'm on the hunt for a pair of cones I guess.

28. What year rear is it?

29. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

It's a late rear, 46-ish... I have a decent set of '40 axles here, probably should go with a little bit narrower rear although I don't think the later rears look bad on a 33+ vehicle. I got a couple piles to dig through at various pal's stashes here. No rush really, QC is still being built anyhow.:cool:

Got a lil more done this morning, one side of the bead above the trunk aligned and tacked in. too lazy to take pics... Also doublechecked my measurements and realized the rear window doesn't have to move, I just needed to cut another 1/2" off the lower edge of the rear of the roof. nice...

30. Dude - you are making want to throw all my tools away - great work that I will probably never achieve at any level - you are a master at building something incredible with just bits and pieces ..... you are simply unreal ....