Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My fleetline no turning back...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by malibustevens, Jan 31, 2012.

1. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Well I did it, went and cut the rockers and lower quarters out of my car, need to fab the lower wheel well and some patches to the inner and then the rockers can go on so I can have something to attach the braces and add the floors.

Now its been awhile since I attempted such a thing, sure been doing some stuff here and there but am now past the point of no turning back, for sure. In fact the last time I attempted so much metal work was back in high school and that was a.......uh um......71 Maverick, yes I know I know....but hell it was only 350 bucks and would blow the doors off of all the yuppies in their bran new 95 mustangs and the look on the face of these guys was priceless when my goofy ass drove past.

Anyways, just looking for some tips, comments or any constructive criticism you can muster. Keep in mind I want this car to be a driver not a show car, and I want to drive it sooner than later.

Attached Files:

2. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Right on, brother. Keep the faith! I haven't seen a 49-54 Chevy that didn't need rockers so hopefully you've got a good parts source and plenty of folks here that can help with tips. What kind of welding outfit do you have?

Subscribed and throwing a few beers at ya...

3. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

I am using parts from National Chevy Association and Ecklers (for what I cant make) The welder I am using is a buddy's and its a fire power 115 volt. Its been having some issues the gas seems to run for 3 to 5 sec. or so after I let go of the trigger, so I have burnt up a tank and have yet to make it to a supplier to get it exchanged. So all of the work I have done to it the past few days has been pretty messy as I have switched to flux core wire. I am hoping to get myself a welder but cash is tight so I need to make do with what I can borrow.

I will be posting more pics on progress soon.

4. DavidL

DavidL

Are both rockers in bad shape? If so you might want to work on one at a time. Keeps the rigidity in the car and gives you a point of reference when fabbing in the replacement. Keep on working, these are great looking cars. I have owning one on my bucket list.

5. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Drivers and passenger side inner and outer rockers are all bad. Thanks for the tip I am however working on drivers side first and than moving on to the passengers side.
    I am hoping the other side will go a bit quicker.....less thinking and more doing.

6. chevelle bob

chevelle bob
    from Linton

I will be watching this closely. I am getting ready to do the same thing on my 52 hardtop.

7. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

8. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

I installed the inner rocker but it was only 3 feet long so I used the one I had bought for the other side and welded it together. Than I folded it up to fit near the rear wheel. I also patched a piece in the wheel well.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=31325&pictureid=365360

I decided to make my floor bracing rather than buy, the ones I found were expensive and did not have the ears to weld to the inner rocker and this to me seems to tie it all together.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=31325&pictureid=365361
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=31325&pictureid=365362
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=31325&pictureid=365363
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=31325&pictureid=365364

As for the floors I am going to make them to again because of the price, I dont really care what they look like as long as I dont fall out and the seat stays put. Plus carpet will go over it anyway.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=31325&pictureid=365365

9. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Malibu: Hope you don't mind I embedded the pics for everyone to admire.
    -D

10. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

11. 416Ford

416Ford

Malibu, you may want to invest in a hand held blaster (even a Harbor Freight one). I see you have air tools so I know you have air. Clean steel will help the welding and you will want it clean to seal up when you are done also.
    Good work so far and keep at it. You don't want to have a drawn out project like some of us.

12. Suicide-D

Suicide-D
    from Texas

Deja Vu? All this looks so familiar...

I'm in the same boat and will be attempting to make the floors and supports in my Fleetline also.

13. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Monkey, I dont know how to do that with the pics, I am a dumb ass when it comes to this kinda computer junk.

Waldo, I have the quarters they are from EMS ordered from Ecklers I think. But thanks for the info.

14. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Good thought. I was just at harbor freight! But I think I can borrow one and give it a try. The metal is super thin in places, all the floor should be replaced but I dont have the time or coin. So I just cut out what is to far gone and clean up the metal the best I can, and try not to burn holes.

15. GREASER815

GREASER815

Looking real good man, keep it up. We can roll together to the invasion this October....

16. F&J

F&J

Coming along fine. all I can add is, keep trying the door fit.

17. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Yeah I know......have not yet, I am afraid to take the brace out, with the quarter cut like it is, I will lose the door jams place.....once the quarter is back on I will start test fitting the door, I think....hope I will be fine the outer rocker will go on last so I should have fudge room. If not I will just have to make some cuts and curse like a sailor, than ill know what to do for the passenger side.

Cant wait till Oct.....just hope I will be driving not riding

18. add another brace inside before you cut that one out. i always like to set up bracing so the doors can be installed. Most of the time I make them bolt in. Easier than it sounds. Just weld in bolts and washers on the braces.

19. Somebody makes all those body mount pieces, I see them on eBay, but you're right, not cheap - $70 a shot for the middle ones. I found a solid car and cut them out of it instead. Sooner or later I have all the same work to do to mine - the only bright spot is I may be able to re-use the replacement outer rockers that are pop-riveted on it now.

20. scrubby2009

scrubby2009

One patch at a time, that's the way I kept most the character and necessary shape to my floorboard. Will be watching! Check out my thread, might keep you motivated!

21. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

This is a great idea! Thanks, so simple......like I keep saying the passenger side will go much better.

Thanks everyone for the tips. Hope to be back at it tonight and tomorrow.

22. FleetlineDLux

FleetlineDLux
    from Canada

take a look at my album, been there man same exact issues, how's the tailpan on yours?

23. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Tailpan is fine.....trunk not so much. The brace near the rear is not so nice either, for now I just patched the holes in the trunk and left the brace for another day, its not gone yet.

Nice work on yours, wish I had the cash for the front pans......also wish my car was as clean as yours to start with.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  24. FleetlineDLux

FleetlineDLux
    from Canada

If I had to do it again I would've built my own floor, gonna need to chop out the tunnel on this one soon enough, after all seems kinda dumb to get panels IMO... looks can be deceiving : )

Keep it up man!

25. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

sorry guys no pics cant find my usb to transfer the pics to the computer.

I have finished the drivers floor for the most part. Had to replace and fab the toe board. Installed the new ems quarter panel, had to cut about a inch and a half off the lip on the bottom, it was way wrong. Wonder if anyone has had problems like this with the ems quarters? I did take pics of what I did to it and will post them soon.

Installed the outer rocker as well and the fit of it to the new quarter is poor, had to modify it to fit, as the folds are way off. You would think new panels would be a bit off but this is ridiculous! Oh well its no show car anyways....

Just a bit of an update for anyone who might care.

26. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

27. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

took me like a half hour to put those pics up.....and they are in reverse the order I wanted and could not get captions....oh well you get the idea.

You can see the blue tape on the bottom of the quarter, this is the inch and a half or so I had to cut out and the second pic is the finished lip. If this was not done the quarter would stick out an inch or so from the rocker and the bottom of the door.

gonna finish the rest of the quarter and then turn the car around and start all over again......sigh.

28. FleetlineDLux

FleetlineDLux
    from Canada

brutal, I really don't get how this stuff can be that off for the money you have to pay for about $10 in steel if that. Sorry ..I have to mention Bitchin, I got my outers from them and they fit just perfect.

29. 60 ford

60 ford

Great work, it looks really good.

30. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

[​IMG]Small tacks to try and stop warping....the original metal is paper thin so it had a tendency to suck in

[​IMG]So now I will have to do some dolly work and add filler...not perfect but sure looks a hell of a lot better than it did.