Register now to get rid of these ads!

Snap-On tools melting!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Atwater Mike, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Well, not the steel parts...but the plastic handles on screwdrivers, small crows foot prybars and ratchets.
    All of them have the patented (and widely copied) black plastic handles.

I open the drawer and some of the handles seem to be 'wet'...there is a 'solvent-like' fluid on them, (not all, but more than 5) and one has actually split; when I examine it, it crumbles right in my hand.

I contacted Snap-On, (my local Snap-On dealer is new...so were the last 4! They wouldn't warranty them because I hadn't spent enough $$ with them)

The company rep on the phone said "Just box them up, with a note so I recall our conversation...I'll replace the tools at no cost."

It took awhile, but I received replacements in about 5 weeks, with an apology that the rep had been on vacation...Every replacement was superior to the 'old design', the handles are now red-and-black 'striped', like a circular laminate, red plastic and dark gray/black abrasive non-slip.

I immediately fell back in love with Snap-On, but they gave no explanation for the 'condensing' of their old plastic. Anyone else have this problem?

2. Mike I got some really old ones, well about 20 years or so, that are fine in my old box in the garage. Maybe somewhere in between the ones I have and yours they changed the formula?

3. belyea_david

belyea_david
    from Regina, SK

I have a cheap magnetic bit screwdriver that oozes an oil of some sort. I wager it was a bad batch of plastic or something.

It will wash off, but within a day or two it will be "wet" again.

4. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

I've had many replaced over the years, Did you notice a funky smell to them?. All that were replaced were black ones from the late seventies. New ones are orange or yellow and have been fine.

5. Haven't had that problem with my old Black Snap On ones, but good to know they replaced them!

But how come my old Craftsman Red Clear and Blue handled ones STINK really bad?????

6. Truckedup

Truckedup

Last Snap On tools I bought was around 1980.The screwdrivers and prybars often have that oily look on the black handles.I just wipe them off because I'm piggy and put away dirty tools...but maybe no so piggy,heh?

7. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

ive had the ''ooze'' before----but they never broke---seems like some from the 70s had this problem---

8. jesse1980

jesse1980

snap on is going to be like craftsman here soon. i even heard through a couple of mechanic buddys of mine that some snap on products are even able to be store bought now. snap on will say its cheaper to have people buy the stuff at the stores and it will save them money so they can get rid of the overhead of trucks fuel and salaries. then they will (or already have) start making the tools more cheaper and you will just have to go exchange them. (mean while all the money they cut will be going back out in bounuses to excecutives). the old stuff is always going to be better then the new stuff. sucks, but at least they took care of you.

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

That's like the junkyard OOZE that covers 70s-80s GM steering wheels. Nasty smelling and sticky.

10. there's a thread about this over on the GarageJournal

11. RopeSeals???

RopeSeals???

My last Snap-On black handle from the late 80's is OK... I did have some Craftsmen that were stored in a hot & humid place for a year that did exactly what you described.

Nice that Snap-On corporate replaced them, but too bad you had to send them back in the first place... How does that dealer expect to stay in business if he won't honor the Snap-On warranty?

12. I have had it happen as well, and total BS with there being a "new" truck guy who doesn't have to uphold Snap-On's warranty!!!:mad:

13. The ones I have are 30 years old but seem to be fine. I haven't bought Snap-on in a while, just too expensive, I still like Craftsman altough their line seems to be going the way of Asia.

14. pastlane

pastlane

I had a couple that the handles just splintered into pieces. Snap on guy said "what do you expect me to do about it". He couldn't even sell me replacement handles as there were none on his truck. I tossed them in the scrap bin telling myself, no more snap on.

15. smarg

smarg

When some plastic gets brake cleaner or even gasoline on them they MELT.

I have first hand experience! :D

16. Nice theory, except Snap On doesn't own the trucks or pay the sales guys. They are independent business men who buy the trucks and inventory from Snap On and then sell it themselves. And Snap On makes a nice bit of interest on the financing of it all.

17. The HellyDid

The HellyDid
    from Florida

been there done that years ago....Snap On replaced them no problem....

18. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

You guys have the Snap On " Valdez " line of tool. They leak a bit

19. One Finger John

One Finger John

Mike and all, my Snao On screwdrivers are the same black handles (at least 30 yrs. old) and I found the same problem. Would have liked the local dealer to replace all the screwdrivers so I could have a matching set, they don't make the black handles anymore. Plus he said that he would only replace the handles that "sweated". He said the handles had been made with a bad batch of plastic and eventually they decomposed and fell apart.
    Some of my handles are decomposing , some are not. If I wanted to replace all the handles I had to pay for them (I like matching colors and shapes on my tools, thats just me) And yes, the dealer was reluctant to deal with me. No I didn't buy from him, and undoubtedly will not buy from him now. A warranty is a warranty. Snap On is going down hill. It used to be when I told people I used Snap oN tools, they were impressed. Now all I hear is " But they are soooo expensive". Yeah, let's talk about price!

20. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

True,Guy next door to me has his own truck and this is the way it is.Works pretty hard at and seams to do ok but is on the road alot of hours.It would be interesting to know what kind of plastic they are molding as that would explain the issues.

21. graveyardsledder

graveyardsledder

I have no problem spending the money on Snap On tools. my snap on rep is over 3 hours away and all i have to do is call him and he will over night/drop ship anything to me same thing with warranty issues. i guess thats what happens when you spend almost 30k over the last 8 years with him. I love the new grips on the screwdrivers and the ratchets.

22. EW_

EW_
    from DFW

Send them to Snap-On. They will replace them. I have had good customer service from them but they have discontinued many older tool box parts unfortunately.

23. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Ding Ding!... I always wipe my tools down with brake clean and the handles will ooze, dry out and break. They have replaced my dead blow hammer twice. I'm trying to keep the cleaner off the plastic handles now.

24. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

that's what I want to know...
    nasty!

25. metalman

metalman

Not all Snap-On dealers are independents, we have/ had some company owned trucks around here manned by Snap-On employee.
    I've been told the same on warrenty issues, doesn't matter I have thousands $$$ of Snap-On tools, the new dealer said unless I keep buying more there is no warranty. I think that is a dealer policy and not company policy, ask for a distrist manager number and ask him if he could explain the "lifetime warranty" to your attorney, the guy will probably be back and gladly replace your tools!
    I've got a lot of various black handled Snappy's from the early 70's and newer and never had one fail, melt, crumble or weep oil. Guess I've been lucky.

26. Am I mistaken? I thought when a dealer replaces a tool he in turn has it replaced by Snap on.

27. 55chevr

55chevr

For the prices they charge they have some bx@#% not standing behind their product. Hell, even crappy Craftsman replaces broken tools.

28. fca2572

fca2572
    from Texas

I was a Snap On in the early 90's and Snap On had a seies of scrwdriver and pry bar handles that were defective. I replaced alot of them in my territory. The defective handles were the black ones with the smooth handle with no texture on them.

29. Willy301

Willy301

Mike, I had the Orange handled ones, and also had the orange old red compothane hammers, had some similar experience to yours, and my Snap-on guy is a long time veteran. He eluded to a problem with the handles and the plastic in the hammer and replaced the ones that were damaged/broken, still have some that are not a problem, but watching them....

30. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Never heard of this. Glad you got them taken care of though. I've got the same new version red/black ones you have now and they've been bitchin. No problems.