Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What us trad rodders were doing in the 70's...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badshifter, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

speaking of air shocks, I remember seeing all the jacked-up street machines around my hometown of Whitter,CA with the HiJacker rabbit sticker on the rear window.

2. One word: Screaming Yellow Zonkers ... or is that three?

3. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I want to hate this thread, but really it just makes me miss my Dad.

Especially this:

Paint the 'Vette black, add white Hooker side pipes and it could be Dad's '69:

[​IMG]

-Dave

4. tunram2quad

tunram2quad

Very cool,brought back memories,thanks

5. At least no one has used the "D" word yet .... disco.! I'd hate to see this thread get closed.

6. customcory

customcory

I don't remember peeing in a cup back then for a job. I really felt free. I could see for miles and miles.

7. big bad john

big bad john

.....Had too much "Fun"....reading this thread sure brought back some memories....

8. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Winner winner....nice Mike. All you need is a keep on trucking t shirt

9. Clik

Clik

I remember the cops pulling us over, breaking out the measuring tape to see if we complied with the 18" bumper law. Is was best to have a valve on the dash so you could sneak the air shocks down real quick.

They used to hassle us for plug wires too. HP wires used to make the cops analog radios crackle when we were close and they didn't appreciate it.

They'd get people for hood scoops, blowers, or even 2 -4s sticking out of the hood saying it blocked vision.

A lot of guys had to run mini mud flaps to comply with the 2/3rds wheel coverage fender law. Especially 70 and up Comodes that had rear quarters that swept under.

As I remember it, the poor bastards in PA had to run bone stock and had regular mandatory inspections.

10. Probably have one, stashed somewhere!!-MIKE:cool: :D

11. outlaw256

outlaw256

well guys i was 20 in 1975.and i loved the 70s.everthing about the 70s. well i take that back.i hated disco and the clothes those goofballs wore. me still in my old blue jeans.and black t shirts.and longhair.damn thats me still today!! i love the cars,whiteletter 50s. airshocks and glasspacks.the music was great(no disco)black sabbath,steppinwolf 10yrs after.etc.i actually took my chevy to the levy and drank whiskey and rye.and smoke alot too.lol. the girls were hot and no tattoos!!!and you could trust people too.simpler times.today i still build a few cars like we did in the 70s. hell i dont think i ever left the 70s.i just bought 2 pair of air shocks. if you could have seen the kids face when i told him what i was putting them on.it was great.when he asked me if i was gonna really put these on a car i said no im gonna use them to hold up my old ladys boobs off her belly.his eyes bugged out.ive got one pair on a 74 nova with white letter tires that all most stick out from the wheelwells.on 15 inch cragars.ass in the air.love it.takes me back to where i want to be.glass frontend and a tunnelrammed 355.the other pair is on my wagon in my avatar.now i gotta fiqure out how to get the frontend up off the ground.i got a cassette player in that one. and a 8track in my dd galaxie that i still use.still have my tapes in that big case.remember those?my wifes ot 67 impala that we are almost done with is built on the 70s style.slots and white letter tires and a cassette with speakers that sit on the back deck.i aint waiting for no revival, i never left.lol

12. I graduated High school in '73, this is what I remember from those days:

Thrush "Outsiders"
    Lakewood traction bars
    Air shocks- Monroe, Gabriel, AC/Delco
    Holley "Double pumpers"
    Purple Hornies
    8 tracks
    Crushed Velvet interiors
    Hippies
    Lids- three finger
    Far out
    Dig it
    Vans
    "Jacked up"
    L60's, M50's
    Slots, Cragars
    Granny dresses, Mini skirts, Hot pants
    Wet T-shirt contest
    Streaking
    Burning draft cards
    Flower Power
    Psychedelics- drugs and music
    Gas lines-even/odd day
    Peace Man
    Mullets
    Fro's
    All in the family, Laugh In, TV shows
    Protests

13. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Dang I wish I had a picture... I had a neighbor that had an early 70s Biscayne (4 door) with Big Boss 60s, shackles, and air shocks. As I remember it, the back bumper was at least three and a half feet off of the ground. When he graduated he sold it to a friend of mine who immediately bought some blue suede platform shoes and had the high school auto-class paint it a hideous shade of brown. Of course he added headers and a chrome air cleaner.

No joke

14. Harms Way

Harms Way

Well Dave,... Not to make you more sad,.. But the White vette was not the only one I had in the 70's ( I think this was 76-77),... Another '72 but this one was a LT-1 454, 4spd.
    ( what was it with all the Ansen wheels,... I really don't remember liking them so much,.. but I must have)
    [​IMG]

This is the white one a week before I sold it,... A baby seat wouldn't fit in it. ( But I had it for a long time, sold it in '85)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  15. mikyboy

mikyboy

Super Shops speed shops,at least on Ca,spent a lot of money there.

16. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

"Just like the 70's bro..."

17. Larry T

Larry T

As far as music and clubs go, no Disco around here. It was mostly little dives "across the river", Icehouses when we headed south, and "Willy, Waylon, and the Boys". And some Southern Rock thrown in for good measure.
    Larry T

18. Holy crap!

I don't remember seeing this car around.

What year was this and did you cruise "The Park"???

19. I think this was about 1975. If you are talking about Como Park, yup.-MIKE

[​IMG]

20. Is there another Park?!?! :rolleyes: :cool:

Remember... There only ever was 1 park that the media dubed "the 100 acre bar"! :D

21. On the Kansas Side there was a disco called POGOS. In Kansas you could drink 3.2 beer @ 18 so when you went in your got a stamp on your hand if you were over 21 so you could drink hard liquer.

I went over there one time with a local dirty no good that I knew because I wanted to see the lighted dance floor. We are about as out of place as a pork chop in a Kosher kitchen. But we got totally trashed and cruised out amongst the dancers. The lights were makng me sick so I tried looking up, mirrors :eek:, damn the luck. It was suggested that my blue jeans and boots were not appropriate and they asked us to leave. Nice of them to overlook the mess. ;)

22. Harms Way

Harms Way

HAHA,......

Well,.. I was just going through a few photo albums from the 70's,... (I will be burning some of those pictures :eek::D),... And I owned a LOT of cars during that decade. I hit the ground running when I got home in '72,.. Dang ! I looked like a kid ! But this was 30-40 years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And with the one of the only Pontiac's I ever owned,.. this would have been about '77,.. So I would have been about 27 years old. ( what a punk !:cool:) I rung out that old Poncho, and my best time was like a mid 15's :eek:,... This was not one of the faster cars,.. But one I had a picture with. ( It was a rough weekend)
    [​IMG]

Back in the 70's,.. it was my drinking days,.. and I took it seriously :eek:,.. I had painted this 71' Charger black, with black tinted glass,.. A few weeks later, My best buddy and me got good and "schnockered",.. And the next morning,... "TA-DA"!!!!,... We cut fur off his dog, Spike's tail and wired it (like a fishing fly) to a nail for a pin striping brush.:D
    [​IMG]

23. senior fried

senior fried

Nice Thread, Thanks !!!

24. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Ha Ha what a trip. In '70- '71 I was a senior in high school and we rode arond in my friends '65 Biscayne, six banger and 'glide. We jacked the rear up one night in his driveway and put muffler clamps around the shocks to hold the rear end up that high. We actually made it about one block before one slipped off. :):D:p

25. Harm,
    This would have been within a year or so of the great POGO'S massacre. Probably sometime around '77 or '78. Life on the road was good to me. The '70s was pretty much one big adventure. Fast cars, fast bikes, and faster women (when I was lucky).

[​IMG]

26. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Cool thread, even if it is "OT" ;)

I'll have to show it to Dad.

Thanks!

27. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I spent a little time in Pogo's here in Wichita. I never fit in but there was always a lot of action there.

28. See the pic above and tell me how I would ever fit in. :D

Biggest problem my whole life is that I have never really fit in any where. At least in the '70s there was a faction of the culture that was too screwed up to know that I didn't fit in.

29. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I understand. I've been the same way. I was wearing 501s, cowboy boots and denim jackets back then and still today. The disco boys didn't care much for my ways. Me and my buddies used to go there just to get in trouble. Dumb and fun at the same time! This is getting kind of OT but the manager at Pogos had a Porsche 930 whale tail turbo. He was always wrecking it. He'd be going around a corner, it'd come on the boost and straight off the road he'd go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.