Register now to get rid of these ads!

if you know anything about ford mel engines read this..and speak up!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by patrick english, Feb 14, 2012.

1. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

so i just got a 60 falcon..and i want to do a gasser type build..my buddy has a few of these ford mel engines laying around.he sudgested using a mel 430..it sounds good to me but ive been doing a bit of reading on these engines and it seems like parts are very hard to find and expensive..i know egge offers piston kits but are flat tops?..is that really a big deal?i read somewhere that if you use flat top pistons in these engines they run like crap..is that really true?does anyone have experience with these engines..(yes i know there are a few threads about the mel engines..i read them all)anybody have a build thread using a mel?..also,the condition of the engines he has is unknown..do you think it would be doable for a poor man build?..i really only have about $300 extra a month after bills and whatnot..would it take me all year to build this engine?
    is anyone offering speed parts for these engines?thanks,
    pat

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Why don't you ask your buddy what he's got and where he gets parts? While you are over there measure one of those engines and see how it will fit.

Those engines are very big and heavy. If you want performance you will be better off with a small block based engine like a 302, 351 or 400M. If you use the MEL engine you will have to shell out the front of the car and build a frame and a front suspension plus it will be way too nose heavy unless you set the engine way back. But will get oohs and aahs at the A&W.

3. There is very little in the way of speed equipment available for the MEL. And what you can find will be pricey. If you want to keep that vibe, go with an FE

4. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

They are really big, really heavy, and start making good horse power some where north of $5000.
    Take a guess as to why they are still laying around? A 351 Windsor will be cheaper, easier, and likely to out run it.

5. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

he doesnt build these.just has them laying around..the mels are at his storage.were suppoesed to go check them out this weekend.
    well i was planning on doing the straight axle front end anyways.and i do love root beer...

6. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

daaaaannnnng!!!...5000?..my uncle had a 351 in a ranchero..that thing was fast as hell..

7. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

fa sho.

8. Crankhole

Crankhole

Search Kanter Auto Parts and Lincoln Parts International. It could get expensive if you need a full rebuild and I believe you're very limited on transmissions that bolt right up. Although, you wouldn't need much "speed equipment" to make that light car haul ass.

9. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

I have a very expensive habbit when it comes to my MEL I have over 6000 in recipts and that is not counting the 6 carbs I still need (97's jetted for race gas) I would walk away while your ahead of the game.

10. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

allright ill give those a look.

11. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

yeah thats alot.. i dont have that kind of money..now im thinking if i can soop up the 6 thats in it..

12. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

I don't think so... I have had lots of offers... I am in the process of making a finned aluminum timing cover for mine already got finned valve covers and a plug for a valley cover

13. brad chevy

brad chevy

Find you a good 289-302-or 351 you will be throwing money away trying to beef up the 6 in it now. If you look around you can find you a running 302 with a C-4 behind it for $500 to $600.

14. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Walk away......thats funny and also some good advice. Man! sounds like that engine is testing your patience.:D

15. 64gal

64gal

For performance and little money, go with the smallblock! 289 or 302, the 351 has a taller deck and is a tighter fit(more work and grief). Also try to get an engine and trans from the same vehicle,get everything you can, so you dont have to worry about finding the correct flywheel or bell or starter or flexplate, etc. There will be little problems, but that should be a bolt in swap.Get the correct framestands for a v8 falcon. Have fun!! Regards, Tom.

Attached Files:

16. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

Testing no my patience went out the door with this motor in 2004

17. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

so i guess the mel is a bad idea...

18. shocker998md

shocker998md

screw a small block. Go with an FE. Buy urself a cheap 390 a stroke it to 445. It will be cheaper then building a 430.

Or build a 390 and put a blower on it. If you cant tell I like FE engines.

19. 56ih

56ih

I wouldn't say the 430 is a bad idea...if you can get away with re-ringing a '58-'59 engine then you can have a monster in a lightened Falcon. It will take some work to fit it in the engine bay, but it seems like you're going to run a different axle anyhow so the shock towers will be cut out regardless. And if you use the early MEL then you can change your mind later and whatever tranny you use will fit an FE pattern bell housing.

Just be warned...MEL infatuation is a sickness for which there is no cure! They are cool ass engines that don't get nearly enough love. I guess that's good though--more for me!

20. Reijer

Reijer

I'll speak up. If money is tight don't even think about having a MEL motor rebuilt. Trust me.

But if you can find a running MEL 430 or MEL 462, I'd definitely consider it. You can find them for around $250. They are almost bullet proof when in good condition. They are nicknamed 'Bulldozers' for a reason.

- Buy it only if the oil pressure (check with an external mechanical gage) and compression check out
    - After you buy one, it's absolutely necessary to replace the original timing set that most likely will still be in there with a set from Cloyes. Here's why: http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30449
    - Replace the original oil pump with a high volume pump (not a high pressure pump) from Mellings. Your heads will thank you as oil has a bit of a problem getting up if the motor has never internally been cleaned of gunk. Not necessary on rebuilt MELs.
    - Replace your original oil pump drive shaft with this billet drive shaft from Precision Oil Pumps in Ca, (559)325-3553. The original is literally as thin as a pencil and really isn't up to the job. This replacement works for the MEL engines. It is an FE drive that is +.0375" Longer for Main Girdle Applications. This shaft is about .075 too long, but the MEL guys get them and grind that amount off the bottom (pump end) to make them fit. Just use a bench grinder. The shafts are $20.00 plus shipping.
    [​IMG]

- Take a peak behind the water pump. If the two original core thermostats are still in place, remove and do not replace (they were not used after '63). Make sure the two water diverters are in good conditions.

- The 430 and 462 have a crank driven PS pump (that only takes ATF type F). They're costly to replace... +/- $350 + core change/charge. You might consider fabbing a pulley driven PS pump.

+1 on the 'no aftermarket speed parts' availability. Replacement parts are available but pricey... check out LincolnLand and Baker's Auto. There are no OEM domed pistons available for the MEL 430, but Egge supplies the other mentioned vendors with ones for the 462 that are very close: http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36860

21. Verminator

Verminator

small block would be easiest to fit and cheapest to make HP. For impressive big block power 460 next cheap HP, 390 FE very cool, but bigger $ to make power

22. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

What's a MEL exactly? Mercury-Edsel-Lincoln?

23. Reijer

Reijer

Correct.

FWIW, they were an option in Thunderbirds for a few years.

24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I know there are plenty of them around and nobody wants them. Good boat anchors and scrap metal haulers love them because they are big and heavy and bring a good scrap price.

25. If you got to ask you can't afford it.

Parts are a little pricey, not more expensive than flathead parts of hemi parts or even olds, buick or pontiac parts for that matter.

You can get forged pistons for them from JE. They'll make a piston to fit anything you got. With the JE piston you can take advantage of having a lighter than stock piston as well as modern rings. Those engines were not more than 10:1 from the factory and more likely in the 8-9:1 range.

You can get a cam shaft ground from many of the major cam companinies. Probably if you call isky they even still have a blank laying around, or you can have your stock cam reground.

Intakes are available but they will cost you whatever the seller wants and you are willing to give. Or you can go off the deep end and build your own.

You won't find headers or header kits for the engine, but again you may have to do it the way they used to do it.

If you are going to build any kind of an engine that is stout it will take you at least a year @ 300 dollars a month. Maybe two years if you are serious about going fast. that is just the nature of the beats.

I like MEL engines, I have owned a couple of stockers in big old whales of a car. They were never the engine of choice among racers I am afraid.

A more common swap in your falcon would have been an SBF. I used to see a lot of them in the later '60s with little cobra jet engines in them.

26. Bigjake

Bigjake

We had a 67 Lincoln Continental with a 462 when I was younger. That thing would cruise at 100 mph all day long and was smooth as smooth could be, MEL's have ton's of torque, 462's are pushing 500 ft pounds bone stock. That said they expensive to rebuild and heavy, but don't require any speed equipment to make a 60 falcon smoke the tires all day long.

27. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

hey,thanks for all the responses on this..i thought this thread had died..i really want to use a mel.ive been doing alot of searching on this stuff and i found complete rebuild kits for around 900 bucks.the same kits for fe engines are not really that much cheaper..and ive focused my attention to just rebuilding a stock mel..i think you guys are right when you say a mel in a 60 falcon will be plenty power..im not trying to break any speed records.i just want to build a fast car.

28. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

Rebuilding a MEL can not only be expensive because of parts, but the deck surface is not perpendicular to the bore. Most boring bars expect to use the deck surface to mount on and bore at a 90 degree angle to that. Can't do that on MEL. In this day and age you'd probably have an easier time finding a machine shop with a CNC block machine, than a guy with the proper tooling for a MEL.

I have a Mercury 383 and grabbed a Edelbrock LM6 6X2 intake for it and I have never built it. The parts prices keep forcing me to put it back on the shelf.

29. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

so nobody in so cal can properly bore a mel?

30. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

No, I didn't say that, I'm jut saying that you'll have to find the right shop, and they will probably want extra to do the job.