Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 5O Chevy Fleetline

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Squids50, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Squids50

Squids50
    from cal

Ok, I purchased my 50 fleetline. A few months ago and used to be a lurker of HAMB when it first came out on line only dreaming of having a car that that was worthy. After a few weeks of having the car I joined.
    The car has a 235 out of a 60 chevy truck with a 3 speed trans with 3 on the tree. Sence I have had it I rewired it with just reg wire from the auto store. Went wire to wire just took a weekend. Sanded the dash and painted it a flat rose gold color from hot rodz flatz. Than last weekend I wire brushed the floor welded up one small 6 in hole on the passangers side. After that I used por15 and painted the floor. Next I used Ez cool floor a sound deadner and heat shield. Ez cool is very easy to work with and is a very good sound deadner. Plus the price is 1/3 of any of the sound deadners. I will try to post a few pics.

2. lorax54

lorax54
    from Denton, TX

Welcome to the club. I've been busy stripping mine down and getting ready for paint. Gotta fab up a radiator mount and make a mount for airbag compressor on the engine. Lots of work, but lots of fun. Put up some pics.

3. Squids50

Squids50
    from cal

Ok been working on her after work. Got all the holes filled, door handles shaved, and working on frenching the headlights. No filler yet just welded and ground down car sits under a tarp so I rattle can a little primer on it to help stop surface rust. So here are some pics.

Attached Files:

4. Cruiser

Cruiser

Good luck on your fleetline it's looking good. Nice detail pictures, how about a full veiw picture. My '52 fleetline in the paint shop now can't wait to see it in one color.

CRUISER :cool:

5. sololobo

sololobo

Never met a Fleetline I didn't like and you are doing a great job on this baby. Atta Boy!! ~sololobo~

6. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Nice work so far, keep plugging along!!

7. Squids50

Squids50
    from cal

Ok got all the windows out. Welded in supports and took the hatchet to it today. WOW this is gona be a long road. I now have so much respect for the guys that were building kustoms in the 50's.

Attached Files:

8. Squids50

Squids50
    from cal

Ok here are some pics of the chop.

Attached Files:

9. I like that body style obviously it is going to be nice.

10. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

11. greasebandit0801

greasebandit0801
    from houston

Cool ride keep us posted

12. Squids50

Squids50
    from cal

I will keep ya posted I hope tonight I can get the rear quarter windows welded up. That way I can drop the back down in the quarters. Plus this is not all me. Brad Masterson is guiding me threw it. Brad is awsome I can't wait to finish it so I can cruse it down to his shop. Plus all the guys that have posted on hamb for fleetline chops also helps a ton. I still can't get over what the guys were doing in the 50's with the tools they had plus now guidance they are true craftsmen.

13. Squids50

Squids50
    from cal

Ok I got the back leaned forward and did some tacks on the roof. I think the profile is ok. If not let me know guys. I want it to flow right.

Attached Files:

14. rockabilly-medic

rockabilly-medic

Squid, that chop is looking good... did you buy that from a guy that owns a tire shop off Golden State?

15. Squids50

Squids50
    from cal

16. chopsdeluxe51

chopsdeluxe51
    from Steel City

looks great man! When I bought my '53 Club Coupe is was either that or a Fleetline...I couldn't pass up the deal on the Coupe though. Your car is looking awesome! Can't wait to see more pictures.

Chops

17. rockabilly-medic

rockabilly-medic

18. Nice chop. I still want to do a fastback chop before I'm ten toes up

19. Squids50

Squids50
    from cal

20. Squids50

Squids50
    from cal

thanks, like alot of people say that the fleetline is a hard chop. I would say yes it is lots of work. I went 3.5 in the front and 4 in the rear. I could see if you went more than that there would be alot metal to be added and moved around.

As of right now I am working on the quarters once they are done I will pull it out and take some more pics.

21. Squids50

Squids50
    from cal

Ok finally finshed welding it all up. Now for the never ending grinding. So here are some profile pics.

Attached Files:

22. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Looks outstanding!!!!! Thank you for not chopping it and making the trunk look like it got sat on by Godzilla.

Now what are the plans for it?

23. ACinSD

ACinSD

looks good...keep up the good work.

24. Squids50

Squids50
    from cal

Thanks, I am trying to keep it a traditional kustom like a kid would of drove in the 50's. For the tail lights I have 54 bumper gards that will be the tail lights. Paint is going to be a flat hot rods light rose gold color. I am keeping the 235 thats from a truck and trying to keep the stock 3 on the tree. I found out that the owner before put a power glide rear end in it. Talking to alot of the old timers at the swap meet and here that with the right tires it should run almost like having a T5 in it. So I hope that works out and of corse it needs to be Waston grapevine low.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  25. Masterson Kustoms

Masterson Kustoms

Looks good from my house!!!! Pretty bitchin..Send them Gaurds, and hope to run into you in Sacto next month.

26. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

I'm not much on chopping cars of this vintage, but you have done a great job with the flow! Nicely done!

Barry

27. Squids50

Squids50
    from cal

Brad, gaurds are on there way this week.

Brarryvanhook, Brad has helped me along the way. I took about 3.5 out of the front pillers and maybe 4 out of the back. I wanted to keep the stock flow but with a chop. Like some people say I didn't want it to look squished.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  28. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Looks great man, keep it up. I got those springs for you whenever you are ready. I'll be at the shop all this week and Saturday.

29. Flemish_Greaser

Flemish_Greaser
    from Belgium

Great work,

bought me an fleetline 51 couple a weeks ago...
    i was planning also using the 54 taillights think they look great on the car :)
    and i found a buick eight grill not sure from what year it is..
    When the weather gets better its back garage time ^^ and then i can adjust the grill and taillights when they arrive :) its damn freezing in the garage :p

But i dont know why but i cant put any pictures online... :/
    but ive put some photos and a movie on youtube .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoL9m3r-RR0

Keep up the good work,like the style

take care!

30. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

I missed this one. Nice work!

Do you have any photos of the work you did to the body, between the trunk lid and rear fenders?