Register now to get rid of these ads!

Heim joints for steering?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JonF, Feb 14, 2012.

1. JonF

JonF

My project is using early Ford spindles and and F-1 steering box. My plan all along has been to use heim joints instead of tie rod ends. Now that I've drilled the tapered ends on the steering arms and the pitman arm I wonder whether the 5/8" bolts thru the heims will ever be as rigid as tie rod ends would have been. Your thoughts?:confused:

2. killa fab

killa fab

It will be fine. Im using heims on my steering, 3/4 Heims with reducers slid in them for a 5/8 bolt.

3. DK23

DK23

I have heims also.

4. captmullette

captmullette

heims on mine, rigid ??

5. It wouldn't be a bad idea to use fail safe washers like required for compettion.

6. When they are new Heim joints will be just as tight as tie rid ends. But as they wear, especially depending on quality, they will start to get noisy and loossen up. The other issue is a lack of angularity travel unless you use high angle heim's or spacers, which can cause bind during articulation, like going into a steep driveway.
    Make sure you also use large Safety washers if they are in single shear (which is what most people set them up as) in case the ball or cage fails.

7. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

That and seals on both sides to keep dirt out.
    Without seals, they won't last long.

8. All heims. Put on more miles than most, steers and handles better than most.

9. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

Try the seals from seals-it company out of ct.........hard to beat.....tell them the grinch sent you.........1-860-979-0060

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  10. killa fab

killa fab

Use chromoly heims, no junk. You wont need safety washers, the seals are a toss up. although ive never used them. Only way you would actually wear heims out to where they get sloppy or noisy is real street time. As in real daily driving, but most of our rides never see that kind of use Here's a link to some good cheap ones- http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/34REPARTS.html Yes in this case quality heims can have low cost alternatives. If you want to spend money for no reason buy QA1 heims

11. Have to disagree with that one. I had a street car many years ago with high quality moly heims, hit a HUGE pothole at speed and broke a heim. It it weren't for the safety washer i would have lost all steering.

12. charlieb66

charlieb66

If they are so good and reliable, wonder why none of the new car manufacturers use them. The factorys pay big dollars to automotive engineers and run test on all parts yet almost every month we see an article in a magazine where someone has a new product which is better than the original provided by the factory. Kind of like the new, I have discovered the secret, weight loss diets that appear weekly.

13. the fact is they are neither Better nor more reliable than tie rod ends. One of the big reasons that race cars use them is they are easy to shim for bump steer tuning. I crewed on an IMSA GTP car and we used them, and used to throw them out after so many hours of racing as they would get a bit loose from the pounding they take.

14. As mentioned, use SAE safety washers and expect them to rattle after a short while.

Also keep in mind to only use a "quality" grade 8 bolt. Many guys either reach for the stainless hardware which is softer than grade 8, or some run to the local hardware store or Home Depot and grab grade 8 there. Most of the hardware found in local stores are cheezy Tiawan or Chinese brand which will FAIL.

Go to a place like "Fastenal" and specify you want grade 8 hardware made in the US because even Fastenal will sell you cheap shit unless you ask for the good stuff.

Snicklefritz65 likes this.
  15. dutch rudder

dutch rudder
    from houston

A) the only reason/time you need a saftey washer, is when in a single shear application.

B) try and not use anything that is "grade" for a bolt when it comes to steering (at least i dont try to when putting custom steering together)... Pegasus racing has a decent supply of in stock AN bolts. they run about an average of 10 bucks for a 5/8" x 3" bolt, but are VASTLY stronger than any "grade" bolt could ever dream of.

seals-it makes nice little boots that you can stuff grease under.

Snicklefritz65 likes this.