Register now to get rid of these ads!

Craftsman of the Decade: Louis Chenot

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Wow....

Great article JB!!!

JH

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I can't even wrap my mind around that because I can hardly fit my mitts in the tight spaces a a 1/1 sized early ford let alone something the size of a football. Amazing.

4. Plowboy

Plowboy

Wow, I don't know how anyone could have the patience to build stuff like that.

I met this guy Danny Downs out in Salina that does miniatures out of brass, it takes him a year or so to do each one. They don't run, but it amazes me he can build the things becasue he is a big dude with hands the size of meat cleavers. Here is his site:

http://picasaweb.google.com/111080108224972856375?gsessionid=FEujwx5u9X_2kFRzNdkIyA

He told me that how amazing it was that people were capable of building all of the rods and customs that were at the KKOA show. I told him he had way more talent than most people who build real cars if he could do what he does from scratch. Some people are just frightened of scale I guess....

5. silverdome

silverdome

UNBELIEVABLE TALENT!

I wonder what the horsepoer output is and how fast it can run the 82-1/2 footer (That's 1/16 of a 1/4 mile since it is built to 1/16th scale)?

COOL

6. BigBlockBuck

BigBlockBuck

Very beautiful piece of work, too bad it's only big enough for a G.I. Joe figure. No disrespect meant, this is evidently an extremely talented man, but I never understood why someone would put so much effort into something they could never drive and enjoy. Different strokes for different folks I guess, kind of like trailer queen show cars. I know cost usually has something to do with it, but evidently no expense was spared with this work of art.

7. Jive-Bomber Jay - Great stuff!

I spoke with Mr. Chenot (& his wife) last August at the GOODGUYS 25<sup>th</sup> West Coast Nats ... I think he was a bit overwhelmed by all the interest a "bunch of Hot Rodders" had in his amazing scale model ... I agree that "Craftsman of the Decade" is a well deserved title.

They don't do it justice, but here's a couple iPhone snapshots of Louis' 1932 SJ DUESENBERG:

Louis Chenot's 1932 SJ Duesenberg Scale Model @ the 25th GG WCNs.jpg Louis Chenot's '32 SJ Duesenberg Scale Model @ the 25th GG WCNs.jpg
    click thumbnails to enlarge

... and a short iPhone video clip of the Duesy's scale-engine running:

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-ihhOHtcI7U?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-ihhOHtcI7U?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>​

8. GARY?

GARY?

That's incredible. The chassis pics, WOW.

Wonder if he's working on a shrinking machine so he can drive it around.

9. S.F.

S.F.

10. Canada Jeff

Canada Jeff

The enjoyment comes from the effort and the achievement of a vision. He built it to build it.

I know you're not slamming him, but as someone who spends a stupid amount of time and money building things that can never be "used" for anything, I'm just trying to explain why people do stuff like this.

11. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

It's 1/6th scale not 1/16th. It is pretty big at 38 inches long and 57 pounds. So that would be 220 feet scale 1/4 mile but this car needs to be on a 1/6th scale replica of pebble beach!:D

12. funnycar

funnycar

Simply amazing! In Europe (but I think in U.S.A. too) we say: "chapeau!"

13. There is a master modeler on the United kingdom that does this also....Google Gerald A Wingrove gets up to 20.000 british pounds for a model

14. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

Maybe that's his therapy, or what calms him or makes him feel right, and money's got nothing to do with it? I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't understand why you do what you do. (or any of us for that matter)

15. noboD

noboD

I think you are missing the point. This is the third model that I know that he has built, the others are just as amazing and detailed. He is now working on a boat with a V-12 aircraft engine. He's also built the full scale cars, all his life. I think his enjoyment is in the build not the finished product. Go to the craftsmanshipawards website. There are many talented builders, but Mr Chenot's attention to detail is above the rest. The spokes on the wire wheels are adjustable. He didn't just rebuild the rear end he machined every piece including the ring and pinion. The hydraulic brakes work. This goes WAY beyond restoring something.

16. pakrat

pakrat

REALLY this thing is UNREAL!!!

17. BigBlockBuck

BigBlockBuck

Like I said before, Different Strokes for Different Folks. More power to him, I wish my life size stuff was half as nice as what he has created.

18. 66Coronet440

66Coronet440

That's incredible. Thanks for the write-up.

19. autobilly

autobilly

I'm flabbergasted!

(flabbergasted: [&#712;flæb&#601;&#716;g&#593;&#720;st&#618;d] adj. Informal overcome with astonishment; amazed; astounded.)

20. bob-o

bob-o

My Dad has been a machinist for 40+ years and was blown away by this guy and sent me a link to his build. WOW. This man really is a true craftsman. It's irritating to see how few comments there are about this article. Shameful. This guy ought to be given a standing ovation by anyone proclaiming themselves to be a "craftsman".

21. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

That is awesome!! I thought I had patience but this is crazy!! I would love to see it in person. I agree that he should try out a full size. Very dedicated person towards something he loves. He deserves every award/credit he gets!! Thanks for the post, Nate

22. turdytoo

turdytoo

Wow. The patience, dedication, research, and expense when hooked up with his craftsmanship are overpowering.

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Outstanding, especially when you consider that almost every piece on the car was hand made one piece at a time. I'd love to be able to see it in person.

Between bashed up fingers and arthritis I have a hard enough time getting my hands to do what my brain wants to do on full size cars, it would be near impossible for me to do something in that scale and make it look good.

24. I have been a machinist for over 40 years . I have met and worked with a lot of crafty guys . But Mr.Chenot is in a league all his own. I have looked at and shown these photos to several co-workers today, all machinist and none of us can believe what we are seeing......Thanks for sharing this with us.

25. silverdome

silverdome

Sorry about that you are correct, I guess I should've had my reading glasses on. Getting Old STINKS.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  26. flamingokid

flamingokid

There is an older gentleman that I see at some of the car swaps that used to build running models from scratch.I offered him 7 or 8 k for one,he didn't even bat an eye when he said No Thanks.I hope I didn't insult him....

27. catdad49

catdad49

28. noboD

noboD

Go to minimodelengines.com These several differant types of engines are all for sale, I've seen his work. He even makes ALL the hardware and springs. And they run on gasoline. I've met George Luhr, but have no connection to him other then respect for his talent.

29. autobilly

autobilly