Register now to get rid of these ads!

Derek's 1950 ford coupe shoebox build and introduction

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El Batidor del mono, May 5, 2011.

1. Nekronomicon

Nekronomicon

Oooh yes, better do some more overtime so you can buy six 97s :)

2. Retroline

Retroline

Ahh, So that's where that motor was going. Saw it on racking at Waddys in Anaheim.
    There is a guy in Oregon I think who does Nailhead stuff. I purchaced a bellhousing years ago but it's to suit my puny 264.:)

3. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Looking good D-russ

4. steve283

steve283
    from cincinnati

Hi just read the whole thread.brilliant.Not something I would take on,It would be disaster,and I would end up with a strange looking convertible.I applaud you and your crafty friends.If it was me,I'd think hard on shooting that car in clear.looks like a sculpture.

5. Deu55

Deu55

Dereck your car turned out spot on imo , love it and if I can say will get even better with your future mods.I have no dout that the roadster will turn out killer also, what a great start you have and at a great price. All the best with the future plans and keep us all updated thanx ....Rod.

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

6. Deu55

Deu55

Cool to see ya car in all the Aussie mags too.....

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

7. yeah its got a look in a couple which was cool, its in a japanese one also so keep and eye out for that but i cant remember the name of the mag.
    cheers

8. just a few pics of the nailhead when i pulled it apart last sat and inspected it, gunna need some serious coin to get this warlock up and cranking hard and a gearbox and intake. but its a good doner for a rebuild, would probably run but i am unsure of the bottom end or anything so best to give it a freshen up and have peice of mind plus a good peice of loud pedal...................also played me hand at tig welding for the first time on part of my shaved door handles and ahron taught me hes good kid ha ha. ahron tapped em up and filled looking really nice
    des

Attached Files:

9. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Pics of doors welded up boss man?

10. Hi there Derek , my names Ben - and i gotta say your 50 is insane ! Top work ......... its kept me and my missus on the edge of our seats :D

(PS- your not interested in tackling our 50 FORDOR chop are you? ) :)

Keep up the good work .

11. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

2 door it then chop it.

12. Nah wont be 2 doorin it , its the daily grocery getter and baby chariot next year - thats why we got the 4 door version in the first place over a coupe.

13. ha ha ha na my man ahron would be the one to ask and i think a 4 door might scare him away, morgs is right, 2 door it then chop it but thats a shitload of work, start with a tudor is my advice lol,

14. morgs ill upload some pics tomorrow night, im back on it now baby, did a test run and tack welded some bar to the outter of the tail light frenchin buckets and there gunnna look really cool like that and give a nice edge to lead to, i wanna start on them asap, i just did a test sp ahron cause see what he thinks cause ive been saying how i wanna do it and he can maybe shed some light on it, but then its 49 chevy number plate surround onto the reaar bar and cut the boot floor out to start on the notch and new mustang fuel tank, im sick of driving it and enjoying it i wanna cut shit up again and get it moving along, ur chevy is putting me to shame and quite honestly gettin me scared and a little jelous, i want that chopped dirt drag champion crown for 2012.......

15. Rideron66

Rideron66
    from Virginia

Derek, super work. ya gotta luv them shoeboxes

16. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Haha yeah you've got a good shot at it, im not gonna be finished by chopped.

17. alright guys a little update on what i was up to tonight, gunna be doin some mods on the back half of the car soon, i started out first by clamping my new number plate surround on the rear bar which is a 1949 chevy front one off an aussie car which micheal ahrens was nice enough to send my way, and if u see this micheal hopefully u come to newstead swap next weekend and we can work something out for it, i have that bell housing which i will have there and am not using, anyway, i clamped it roughly were i wanted it and measured off each bumper bolt to make sure it was centered, then got it sitting where i wanted it upright to give the right appearance for what i thought looked cool, i then used a texture to outline it so i know where it has to go back, then made some rough marks on the number plate surround to see were it needs to be ground to sit flat on the rear bar and follow the curves, i had to cut out the bracket were it originally bolted to the chevy bar, as it will be welded on and smoother up along with all the original bolt wholes on the bar welded up to, anyway i got it to sit pretty nice but got interupted so will continue it tomorrow, i also last night did a trial run on the frenchin buckets with a tacked on bent up rod to give them a nicer appearance, thy will be cut down and then the bar welded onto the outa surround and then if needed will be lead loaded, pics speak for them selves, i plan on doin a fair bit form now on so this thread should be kept up to date a fair bit, hopefully, motivation is high and im done havin fun so wanna get back into doin dhit on it, also i will attache some pics i took on the weekend, a young photographer named jess eisner from melbourne who does pin up shoots got asked by street machine to shoot some pics with this stunning tall ass girl with nice..............assets... ha ha ha anyway she cant upload them cause there for the next hot rod anual which will be the end of the year so i took a couple myself while i was there, anyway terrible afternoon with the young ladies...........enjoy fellas

Attached Files:

18. thanks brother

19. That is looking good, is there room to relocate the #plate light under there? or can you adapt something else?
    Kyle

20. I run two tiny chromed bolts with LED lights in them. Look the part and light the plate well.
    Er, probably should finish wiring them in ...actually....oops

21. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

DES!
    you defiantly have your shit together

22. Kyle and maiki I plan on gettin some really small old chrome bezzle type things to put either side of the surround and cause I'm welding it on I'm gunns drill wholes through the back so u can't see the wiring at all. I'm gunna hunt aroun on eBay for some little ones but I'll check out the ones u saidto maiki, plus I'm gunna make up a new number plate bracket so it sits at the right angle. Morgs we all have our shit togther ha ha

23. just a few pics of whats goin on down these hillbilly parts with mr bare metal peice of shit, lol, by the way in the last couple weeks i have heard my car be called a "clamy shitbox car" and "that silver peice of shit car, what a peice of shit" ha ha ha ha i love negetive feedback everynow and then, love it.
    anyway been havin trouble with the shithouse plastic drop tank that hangs down a mile picking up shit out of the bpttom and throwing it into my carb, so ive had it with that, mustang fuel tank it is, which means boot floor cut out, which means nothcin the rails cause i am sick of driving around on bump stops i am wanting some actual suspension travel so say what u will but this car will look great sittin low and havin adjustable ride height for our great dirt roads and weather beaten tar round the parts of the newly renamed eldoraoville (castlemaine) soon we will have to get together and change every sign heading into castlemaine that say street rod centre of australia to eldorados centre of australia, anyway, yes im talking about airbags, cant see the downside to them, anyway that is happening, new fuel tank, new boot floor, started frenchin the headlights and goin to send my bumber to get de chromed and work on welding my number pate surround to that and shaving all the bolts and having one smooth ass rear bar hopefully, also ahron has said nicely that he is goin to shave my bootlid to a smooth ass apearance, so stay tuned for that, while that car is off the road for a couple months for round 2 of its facelift, im gunna do all the finishing off on the chop, like the inner garnish mouldings and hopefully get some glass sorted possibly, dont worry this chop will be finished i just got carried away enjoying driving my car but the ride and the fuel issue has pushed me to sort all this stuff and have some flat out working time, i will keep u updated as i go, but heres some pics for the time being, also i forgpt to put pics of how we peaked the bonnet, keep a look out for fuel magazine issue 9 for some rad pics of the spinner, the club and some shot of my shoes and tattoo which luke was funny enough to put in. also fuel tank tv dvd cpmes out next month and i have seen the finished version of the short film on me and my car and words cant explain how fucking good it is, make up your own mind but what a great job they did................stay tuned.

also just incase u are interested........... the tail lights are just shoebox tail light frenching buckets that u can buy anywere off the net for around 490 clams, they have a very tunnel apearance when u sit ur light in them and i wanted frenched tailights, so once the original mpunt is cut out using grinder and air hack saw u can open the metal off the rear qaurter up enough to slip the bucket through me and ahron then sat the light were we thought and agreed it should sit so u can still just see the lens from side on, marked then measured and cut off the excess off the bucket using tin snips, once happy with it, slide it back in with the tail light bolted in place and tapped it around untill i was happy with the appearance, they are not welded yet just sitting there so i can look and make sure im happy, there was no splitting of the panel to get it to fit differently, once happy i will fully weld the bucket to the body then run a small peice of bar around the outter edge of the bucket and weld it on when happy, then i am welding a bar down were the rear body seam went then it will cop a lead treatment and finishing eventually, should look nice and hopefully a little different, feel free to give input on this idea if u have thoughts, cheers des

Attached Files:

24. Aushotrods

Aushotrods

thank jeebus that SLR5000 drop tank is getting the arse! haha

25. ha ha ha seany gaymondo, damn straight fuck it looked terrible i followed ahron driving it home the other week and it just hangs so low, even had stratches all along the bottom from bouncing poff the road, safe????? ha ha also youd be happy to know i bought some nice curved laser cut notch plates from air ride cheap ass and look nicer, so they are sitting at the post office, by the time u get here sat it should be mostly notched and sitting low with one leaf upside down to get it down for sittin in the shed lol

26. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

27. yyeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhhh boi, oldsmobile will soon be the high roling brother of the spinsman, mitch cut ur olds up now........

28. lookin the goods Des