Register now to get rid of these ads!

mexican blanket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 46jimbo, Feb 13, 2012.

1. 46jimbo

46jimbo

i know its become a cliche', but what is the history of mexican/indian blankets being used as seat covers? i have my own opinion on them, depending on aplication... but am curious about the history, and what you guys think of them.

2. scottb356

scottb356

Brian Setzer started it a couple years ago

3. not sure of the history behind them, but i kinda like em................... sometimes.

4. big creep

big creep

^no mexican have been doing it for years!

5. slammed

slammed

Some people can blend them in a build, and results are good. BUT, like RED wheels and FLAT black they is WAY over done by the lookie Lou's. Search 'mexican blanket' for a 12 page thread of applications.........

6. TERPU

TERPU

BULLSHIT!

My Uncles were doing this back in the early 70's and before I was born. They've been used for decades at the submarine races too.

They are the most comfortable interim covers available for the cheap.

7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

is this a trick question??

8. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I heard they used to use them as seat covers on horses....

9. F&J

F&J

Correction: " been doing it for centuries"

The Spaniards brought horses to the new world and some escaped. The natives captured these runaways and then used their blankets on the horses back. ...and there you go.;)

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the old days you threw one over the seat to cover up the tears so a girl would be willing to sit on it. My 51 Merc came with one when I bought it in 1963. It was a get by thing for broke guys then or a guy threw one over new custom upholstery when he drove the car to work to keep the new seats clean. Now it's one of those fads that has been over done by the "gotta be cool" guys.

11. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

Sorry, but it was me.....and its poncho not pauncho

12. Seat wore out.... threw a blanket on.
    $6 instead of $300 for new upholstery.

In Mexico they're just called blankets.

13. big creep

big creep

nope they call them manta or
    cobija. depending on where in latin america you're in they also call them chamarras!

14. slacker1965

slacker1965

I like 'em...for the correct application.....plus they are cheap which is always a bonus for me.....
    yes they have been overdone somewhat, what hasn't?

15. its cheap , fast and easy! like my first wife!

16. 46jimbo

46jimbo

thanks Mr48chev, i guess i should have been more specific about "history". i plan on using one in my 46 ford coupe, but only until i can afford the tuck 'n roll i want. it was cheap and my original seat definatly shows its age. i dont want to fit into a cliche or a stereotype, but this is my only option for now. i knew it was a traditional, low/no budget method, but was curious where it originated
    <SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_7453122", true); </SCRIPT>

17. Drive Em

Drive Em

Does a Mexican blanket have to be made in Mexico to be traditional, or can you use a USA or Chinese made Mexican blanket?

18. 46jimbo

46jimbo

most the parts we have available are made in other countries today... but done and used in a traditional style.... and thats what counts IMHO

19. the-rodster

the-rodster

They actually race submarines?

I didn't know that.

Rich

20. swissmike

swissmike

Once there was an Indian who was bitterly cold....
    (start of the history of the Indian blanket)

21. My Dad had his 57 Sedan Delivery upholstered in TJ. So waiting while things were being done, he bought blankets to keep the seats clean. I'm sure 'many' others had the same thought, when having there new upholstery job done in white. I remember him telling me the trimmers used lit newspaper, tightly twisted up in a cone.. to heat & stretch out the wrinkles, in the headliner.

22. rcoffey

rcoffey

It wouldnt be mexican then now would it?

23. volksjunky

volksjunky

Ah , yours too !

24. 61 chevy

61 chevy

how bout a army blanket, its made in usa, i hope

25. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

A "new" way of doing an old thing. (Not mine by the way but I gotta say I like it)

[​IMG]

"Old things" and overdone things get that way because guys liked 'em. Chrome reverse, red rims, wide whites, finned valve covers and Mexican blankets. I wonder if you'd have to back the Mexican blanket cloth with some other heavy cloth or if it is strong enough not to shred without it?

26. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

While on tequila and beer weekend runs, people bought them cheap in Baja or Mexico mainland and brought them back. Soon they realized they looked good covering a crusty/nasty old bench seat. Just a natural extension of hot rodding. If you've ever raised hell south of the border you know. This started many decades ago, not some new idea...

27. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Im using a moving blanket to cover my seat. My mexican blankets keep me warm on the couch. :)

28. Too trendy! But they can be alright --

29. Hahahahaha, nice