Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette Gassers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bigalturk1, Mar 23, 2011.

1. noboD

noboD

I agree Jim. The car had too many glass modifications to it to be returned to stock and more chrome then the law allows. I sure hope it's still around somewhere. I've asked my buddy that worked for Chris, but they haven't been in contact for years.

chryslerfan55 and els like this.
  2. edweird

edweird

can anybody tell me what size the back tires are in the bottom pic ?

els likes this.
  3. jimdillon

jimdillon

Want to acknowledge the Quiet One for his post on Snoopy. I have seen pics of that car for a few years. Thanks for filling in the blanks and good to hear he is still running the car. Keeps him young I am sure.

While I am wondering about the whereabouts of some of these early Vettes, does anyone have any knowledge of this Emerson Brothers Vette, including its fate? This is the reincarnation of the black Midwest Vette above. It was run in black in B/G with Prontito on the side (and Midwest Auto on the side as well), without the top, then the car was sold and then they switched sponsors to Competition Body Shop and the car was owned by George Foltz. Not sure who the Emerson Brothers are or were. I tried to locate this car back in 1972 but unsuccessfully of course. Still wondering its fate. Anyone?-Jim

[​IMG]

4. Deuces

Deuces

It's upstairs somewhere... I think I used it for a parts box.... I stripped all the "good" parts out of it for another build... :eek::eek:
    I know... I should hung by my testicles for doing that... :eek:

5. TheQuietOne

TheQuietOne
    from Goneville

I am sorry I don't have any info on the Emerson car. Thanks for the nod on the Snoopy car though. I took the pictures in my driveway about 2 years ago when it was here for a parachute and wheelie bars. I also built the headers and did the rear suspension probably 5 years ago. Although the paint scheme was updated after Frank crashed the car at Quarter Aces / South Mountain it still resembles the original very much. Glad to finally be able to contribute something useful to the board.

Travis

6. Muttley

Muttley

Groucho was Banned from the HAMB. :(

els likes this.
  7. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

[​IMG]

Some guys on another thread located the cover with my old mans car on it. Then I searched it on the web found the mag. and its being sent! Now all I gotta do is sell my 64 effie and 31 coupe and build a tribute! lol

els likes this.
  8. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

cool 61

Attached Files:

9. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

henry yeagers bad azzzzz 57 vette !!! purple haze...new orleans ,la.

Attached Files:

10. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

rocky larocca 58 gasser vette :D

Attached Files:

11. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

stingray

Attached Files:

12. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

my 58 vet

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55, neilswheels and els like this.
  13. jimdillon

jimdillon

Rocky nice pics. Your 58 is obviously not stock, what have you done with the engine/drivetrain?-Jim

els likes this.
  14. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

hi jim thanks for lookin i had a 11 to 1 ...327 newly built to the hill .. that blew due to a faulty clip coming off the lifters ... wont mension the co. it sucked up in the oil pump locked it up broke the cam in 3 places and more .... after months of dealing with the co. they bought me a new zz-4 and i tricked it up... 4 speed tranny it gets pretty good. will try to most more pics if yall like later...thanks rocky :)

15. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

engine shot :D

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55, els and DualQuadFury like this.
  16. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

my 59 racer ..big block

Attached Files:

17. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

ooo

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55, oldtymehiboy and els like this.
  18. 6bblbird

6bblbird
    from New Jersey

[​IMG]
    I just know that this one will cause a lot of head scratching. If you grew up on L.I. you probably know exactly what this is.
    WF

19. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

66 :)

Attached Files:

20. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

62 :d

Attached Files:

• 62.JPG
      62.JPG
      File size:
      54.4 KB
      Views:
  21. jimdillon

jimdillon

Great pics Rocky. I have never seen Wife Trouble with the big scoop. It appears they may have run it in M/P with that setup. I have pics of the car as it ran in SP and Gas. It may have run in MSP as well. Good looking car for sure. Would really like to stumble on that car.

The red mid year looks like Old Reliable. The 59 big block looks like fun as well-Jim

els likes this.
  22. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

THANKS FOR THE KIND WORDS JIM ... HOPE ALL ENJOYS THE PICS. GREAT GIG HERE , SHARE SOME STORIES AND PICS AND MIGHT EVEN LEARN SOMETHING IF YOUR NOT CAREFUL !!! I GOT A 57 X GASSER VETTE ON THE LIFT ABOUT 15 YEARS MY . FREIND JUST FINISHED HIS AN ORIGINAL NCRS NICE CAR BUT NOT ME AND MY OTHER FREIND HAS THE PURPLE HAZE ... STARTED TO BRING THE CAR BACK MORE STOCK BUT NOW I DONT KNOW LOOKING AT SOME OF THESE CARS . THINK THATS WHAT THEY REALLY WERE MENT TO BE :rolleyes:

23. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Few more.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

els likes this.
  24. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

NICE BARON ! LOVE THE WHITE ONE I THINK RADIR SLICKS USE IT IN ADVERTISING ...COOL:cool:

25. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's the one. First time I saw it was out at Rhinebeck 10 or 12 years ago. I have to stop looking at these early Vettes as I have two other projects ahead of me. Maybe when they are done I'll look for a 56-60 to do up.

26. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

I know what you mean ... more projects than time.... a good ole freind of mine told me i had enuff projects to last me the rest of my life 25 yrs. ago . didnt know what he ment ..know i see he was right :( hope my 57 gets done :confused:

els likes this.
  27. racer67x

racer67x

I believe the owner of the "Wife Trouble" vette passed away a few months ago,name was Bill Brookman from Washington,Pa.,campaigned the car alot of years.
    have no idea where the car will end up..RIP
    was killed cutting up scrap at his junkyard at age 75

28. jimdillon

jimdillon

Thanks for the info. Too bad on the passing away part. I can't really put my finger on why I like the car so much but I believe it is because it has the look and apparently must have run the numbers for years to make it in all the shots that I have seen-Jim

29. jimdillon

jimdillon

Rocky on the bringing them back to stock, I can understand the thought process as some people want to enjoy the car but not lose too much money when they sell. I, on the other hand do not subscribe to this way of thinking. I became obsessed with these early Vettes back in the 60s and then hooked up with two brothers that drag raced a 61 Vette (F/S) and 57 Vette (B/G) and to this day live in a somewhat narrow world that appreciates them most if they are a drag car or drag car look.

I admit that I have refused to grow up when it comes to them and every time I get in mine it takes me back and that feeling is priceless. I believe a large portion of the Corvette heritage is the drag cars and the vast majority of these cars are gone. Some were destroyed but many weekend warriors are now stock. It is sad that of the hundreds that ran on tracks from end to end of this country has now dwindled to what is a relatively small number.

To each his own, but I always try to give kudos when I see guys that like to run them as I remember them. I kept track of every early Vette in my area of Detroit back in the sixties and I cannot remember one totally stock. Truth be told I rarely ever look at a stock early Vette, nice I suppose, but they do absolutely nothing for me. Then some purists would look at my stuff and cringe. That's life.

I like Purple Haze, hope he leaves it-pretty cool-Jim

30. I just saw Big Johns Corvette at a private museum in my hometown, along with about 140 other awsome rides! Unfortunately, he wont let anyone take pics or I would have undisputeable proof for you. Several other HAMB members have seen it also.

els likes this.