Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1930 Model A Pick-up Build A.K.A. No Talent Zilch Builds the "Captain"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stutz, Feb 7, 2012.

1. rancid737

rancid737

Awesome build so far. Only opinion i would have to offer is the removable hardtop. I would have the visor attached to the removable section, but thats just my opinion, Ive seen plenty of roadsters that run visors, and im not really a fan, again just a sugestion.

2. [​IMG]

and here's a stupid bed design. I am not 100% on this. Merely an Idea

Attached Files:

3. Thats definitely a possiblity. I have yet to even get a visor. haha

4. I have to say, I really like where this is going!

I will definitely be following this build!

Thanks for sharing, and keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ!!!

5. I believe some peices came in the mail today. Time to get back on it.

6. dsr_54

dsr_54

What "peices" came in the mail ?

7. Flat top perch pins, and bunges

8. 35fordcoupe

35fordcoupe
    from Virginia

cool idea! I think it will be more obviously a removable hard top car in roadster form, but it should be pretty well hidden with the top on. The bed idea seems like it would put the lights aweful low for most idiots on the road to pay attention to...just something to think about.

9. One Finger John

One Finger John

Don't know 'bout the bed design, but it would make a really neat trailer.

10. grainmaker

grainmaker

Cool!! Headed sort of in the same direction as your build. I'm starting with a 4 door that a building fell on the azz end of it- got a straight A frame to start with. I'm not going the extended cab route I dont think just going to be longer back there with out the side window. Just gotta get some customer projects out of the shop and probably get planting season out of the way, then maybe I can start to mock it up- still need to pick up the back end and get my rear axle setup so I can start. I'll be watching.

11. [​IMG]

Parts are good...

12. corpsewheelie

corpsewheelie

looking good man, im on the same boat of the removable hardtop, id like to make one for my 30 sport coupe but finding a top hasnt been easy

13. Parts!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't have a very good picture of the tacked in place cross member pieces, so I added one. These will be finished welded later, and the tops of the cadillac X frame will be pie cut and brought down to meet the inside tops of the members.
    [​IMG]

With the new fancy parts in hand I quickly prepped the axle and bones for mock up.
    [​IMG]

Making sure the bungs were level and square inside the bones, a couple tacks and voila! Easy breezy
    [​IMG]

Posistioning the first side to get my ride height for the axle and spacing for the transverse spring. I am setting the angle of the axle at the recommended 7 degrees.
    [​IMG]

Here you will see the pins in place and the mock up stage complete. Still have to build pockets for the wishbone pins.
    [​IMG]

I love this picture. This is a rabbits eye view.
    [​IMG]

More to come in a few days.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  14. [​IMG]

Birds Eye View

15. Anyone have any advice on creating the mounting points for the wishbone tie rod ends?

16. biscuit eater

biscuit eater

17. Hey biscuit eater, are there perpendicular in the frame?

18. No Clue...

No Clue...
    from Lusk, WY

Looking SHARP !!

19. biscuit eater

biscuit eater

I put mine through the sides of the frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also have these, if they'll help you out they're yours. The holes are tapered for a tie rod.

[​IMG]

20. Mickey One

Mickey One

That thing is gonna be sweet!Now you've got me thinking.I have a model A frame in the garage,a pick-up bed in the driveway,what to do?what to do?Thanks for the inspiration.

21. I followed the "in frame" approach like biscuit eater and used some cannibalized tie rod bungs to get the bones mounted. I'll get some pictures this evening... got my club coming up for a meeting so its a busy day. Thanks again for the interest. Mickey One, I'm glad I could be inspiring.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  22. sneak preview
    [​IMG]

23. SKYGUY

SKYGUY

Can't wait to see her done, looks alot better in person.

24. Ok, Update. I got some shit done.

First I measured and got the positions set for the tapered bungs to attach the wishbones.

Using the cross steer hole off the spindles and a sacrificial pitman arm, I created two identical tapered bungs.

Marking the holes, I plasma cut each outside for the bungs to fit.
    [​IMG]

Next, I measure out a pattern to cut the inside of each rail to create pockets to access the back.

[​IMG]

I set the bung in on the driverside and test fit it, as well as bending the wings I cut inward to make the pocket.

[​IMG]

Here's the outside tacked in. I wanted it flush on the outside.
    [​IMG]

On the other side I wanted to take a couple pics to show case the bung, and hole. or as I call it the "bunghole" haha
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the inside with the bung all the way flush on the outside, and the again the wings in.

[​IMG]

Here's the bungs tacked in... which I finished welded later.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I made a template to cut a couple pieces to complete the pockets.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Welded them up.
    [​IMG]

I smoothed out the outside so they are nice and flush... not to mention shiny
    [​IMG]

Cleaned up the inside, which I will have to hit with a die grinder to clean the inside. I filled the area around the bung with weld.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Im happy with them... it's moving along day by day.

brEad likes this.
  25. Oh, hoping to hear back from a buddy that said is dad has a dual quad intake for a 331 Cadillac. yippie skippy

26. MistShift

MistShift

Stutz, great looking build!

However, I must mention my opposition to your fraudulent "no talent zilch" tag in the header.

You obviously have tons of talent, and are making us truly talentless fellas look bad.

;)

Cheers
    James

27. Thanks a whole hell of alot for the kind words. I have always played with big fifties cars, so this little hot rod dance I am doing feels unfamiliar. It only seems right to self-deprecate being that it's all alien to me. But, boy now I understand what all those guys where saying... Hot Rods are unbeatable.

28. JJTF

JJTF

subscribed!
    If that's no talent; I'm really f--ked (nice work).

29. Looks real good Scotty, holy shit, almost like you know what you're doin'. I like the way you have a vision and are building toward it, it's gonna be way cool man.

30. Thanks man.

Mike, I appreciate it. Thanks again for the spring, now I just have to figure out what will work.