Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Mercury headliner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldbg, Feb 12, 2012.

1. oldbg

oldbg

Has anyone installed original headliner in a chopped 51 Merc (4" chop)? Or does it need a custom one? My car did not have any headliner in it...or bows. I have found bows , but not sure if I can order an original headliner and get it to fit! Any help would be nice and save me a little money too. thanks

2. You should be able to install a stock one again,with some pulling action in the rear corners,unless some idiot used two roofs and stretched the length of your chopped roof.

3. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

How do you know he didn't chop it himself?

4. I am in the same boat as far as the curiosity if the the regular headliner would fit my 50 merc with a 4"chop.
    I chopped my roof...the right way..lol
    Thanks Oldbg for posting.

5. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Great question. I have a Chopped 51 Merc with no headliner. Be curious to see how this works out.

6. where do you find a set of bows?

7. You can always try Papke (link of vendors in my sig) but if you want to check here on the HAMB. I'd reach out to slddnmatt, ether, drdave, and peruse the ads there are 3-4 other guys who always post Mercury/Merc parts for sale.

8. toadyoty

toadyoty
    from Warm Beach

The stock one will fit...... (Am I still a FNG?)

9. ebfabman

ebfabman

How hard could it be to sew up a headliner......even if several roofs were used?

10. stichbitch

stichbitch

It all depends on how the chop was done.

For those who don't have headliner bows you can make your own or I will grab bows out of misc cars out of junk yards and rebend em, just make sure they are long enough.

11. oldbg

oldbg

Go liner in Texas has bows...windlace and headliner , but I found mine locally. After a LOT of looking. Thanks everyone for the response.

12. oldbg

oldbg

Great car, and very nice pics. Thanks

13. oldbg

oldbg

Thanks a bunch for all the suppliers.That really helps

14. desertMerc

desertMerc

On the subject of headliner installation.
    Does anyone know where to get the headliner retainer strips that screw into the roof that the headliner tucks up into? I can't find these things anywhere. I need them for a 51 merc sedan.