Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette Gassers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bigalturk1, Mar 23, 2011.

1. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

2. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here are a few more...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

els likes this.
  3. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And one shot of my old Pro-Streeted 62
    [​IMG]

els likes this.
  5. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

i loved big johns vette

els likes this.
  6. knotttty

knotttty

I saw this one at Goodguy's Puyallup

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 231ramona

231ramona

I'm still looking for info on this one. If anyone recognizes it I would love to hear from you.

Attached Files:

8. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

Goodguys Milwaukee a few years back.

PICT0328.jpg PICT0329.jpg

chryslerfan55 and els like this.
  9. elgringo71

elgringo71

This is mine. It's the only picture I have for now. It ran a 427 and a muncie and I found a 25 year old exibition of speed ticket under the seat after I bought it. Sorry about the bad picture quality, its a picture of a picture.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
    chryslerfan55, neilswheels and els like this.
  10. jesse1980

jesse1980

those old vette gassers are so damn awesome. the ledfoot news here in chicago just featured one that the guy had since he was in highschool back in the late sixties. it came out nice, straight axle with fender dump headers and all. ill see if i can get pics up.

11. vetrod62

vetrod62

Hello, Jim Dillon. Strange luck for me to see you. I rarely visit here because of the open dis-like for corvettes here. Glad to see Tubular automotive is still in operation. The headers they made for my blown, injected, 532 were first class for my red 62 vette.

Nice to see my black 62 and Butch's green 61 put up on this thread By Baron as Gassers, but we are really Modified Production cars. And we Still race them now. Hey Baron, here are a few pictures for of us in action.

Jim , how are you doing?? Butch is not doing well again. We want to do Woodward again, but you know how that depends on health issues. Email me. Jim.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. jimdillon

jimdillon

Jim will get off an email but it good to see you posting pics of you and Butch still pulling the wheels on these cars. As you are aware, 99% of the guys pulling the wheels on early Vettes are pulling them so they can dust the brake drums in preparation for their next show trophy.

There are some guys on this site that do not hold Corvettes in the highest esteem but as you know there are some Corvette guys with an attitude that make it easy for them to be ridiculed (as there are with many specialty car groups). For the most part I think this site gives a better than even shake to us Corvette guys that like the cars modified. If guys on any site cannot separate the cars from some of the characters that may give them a bad name then that is their problem. Some people like a certain car and some guys don't.

Although this thread is Corvette gassers supposedly, during the gas era Corvettes mainly ran in the M/SP classes until 1968 and then they switched the same cars to gas. By 1969 modified production was getting more popular and so many of the Vettes strapped on a tunnel ram (and a few other changes) and ran modified production anyways. Corvettes running as true gassers was a smaller window than many believe. I never really cared if an early Vette ran in BM/SP or B/G or B/MP or whatever. They all got my blood pumping when they came out strong like you guys are still doing today.

The picture below I believe is Skip Hess driving the Bourgeois/Wade prepped 1962 Vette which ran mostly in CM/SP. I believe as well this pic is from 1963 but it is virtually no different than your pic or many of the gassers or MP cars of the late sixties. Same cool factor as far as I am concerned.-Jim

[​IMG]

13. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I thought gassers had to be hardtops :confused:

els likes this.
  14. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

Vetrod62,
    glad to see you back on,you've got some great cars.I like em

15. TheQuietOne

TheQuietOne
    from Goneville

Not mine but a friend of mines. Been a race car since early 70's. Now races Pro-stick with it. BBC / Hilborn / G-force 5 speed .........been some 9.30's. Frank is probably late 60's and still drives the thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55, els and Spoggie like this.
  16. noboD

noboD

A high school buddy traveled to races and shows with Chris Land until about 1972. I know people that helped build it.

Attached Files:

• 71-4.jpg
      71-4.jpg
      File size:
      74 KB
      Views:
  17. jimdillon

jimdillon

Langy I believe the rules originally called for them to have or be a hardtop or a convertible with the top up. By 1968 there were a number of cars running gas without a top. Prior to 1968 though, I cannot think of a Corvette running gas (although Limelight may have been an exception running in AA/G supercharged) so they would have had to run as they came from the factory, with the top they had(removable tops were not too common on gassers except for Vettes and T-Birds, I suppose).

In this pic is a 62 Vette driven earlier by Ken Clark in modified sports and he switched to gas in 1968. The car behind him is Prontito a 57 Vette that ran up until 1968 as BM/Sp when it switched to B/G. In speaking to the prior owner of Prontitio he told me the top flew off during one contest and so it was converted to a convertible gasser. It was later re-converted to a hardtop gasser with the new owner.

By the time the Vettes ran in gas, the rules I am pretty sure had been watered down a bit.-Jim

[​IMG]

and here is Sam Gianino in his red DM/SP Vette with the top in early 67. The black car became Prontito when it switched to gas in 68.
    [​IMG]

and here is the same car in 1968 later without the top
    [​IMG]

chryslerfan55, neilswheels and els like this.
  18. Deuces

Deuces

MPC did up a model of the Malco Gasser Vette.... I have the latest release somewhere...????... :rolleyes:

19. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

I Love this stance.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  20. noboD

noboD

Yup, me too.

els likes this.
  21. Deuces

Deuces

Sweeeeeeeet! :D

els likes this.
  22. jimdillon

jimdillon

Doug although the model would be cool I would love to see the original. Do you know of the fate of the car?-Jim

els likes this.
  23. Deuces

Deuces

I'd like to know also........ Hope it didn't get restored into a factory stocker.. :eek:

24. noboD

noboD

Jim, Chris lived very close to here back then. A divorce and a move to Maryland was the last I heard of him. The car was in one of the streetrod type mags around mid 70's painted black and tan. I still have it it one of my filing cabinets of magazines. It won World of Wheels with the red, white and blue colors that the model was based on. The nose is pinched heightwise, and I think the rear rollpan was too. Good to see you posting Jim, hope all is well!

25. Deuces

Deuces

I'll try and dig up some info on it elsewhere... Hope I can find more pictures of it!.. ;)

els likes this.
  26. nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. vetrod62

vetrod62

Butch running D/G at Etown 1970.

[​IMG]

28. noboD

noboD

Dug out my kit. The front end is sectioned, no lower side grills, and the grill opening is much smaller. I think the rear end is pinched too behind the rear tires. Deuces, did you find yours yet? I must have been obsessed with Corvettes at one time, found about a dozen Corvette models I forgot about.

29. WCD

WCD

I remember the car, but not as a fuel burner. I recall it being run in BB/GS, but then the car didnt belong to a friend or accquaintance of mine so what do I know.

30. jimdillon

jimdillon

Doug I always liked the car and it was in magazines etc I think through the 70s. Almost seemed too nice for it to have been destroyed then and with the modifications I wonder if anyone stock guys would waste their time. I would hope it is still around. I think what everyone refers to as the black and tan is the dark colors (appears to be black over a dark burgundy fade with some gold accents). I like it in that scheme but the wheels may get me a violation from the HAMB police. One of these days I would like to put together a list of the early drag Vettes that escaped either the scrapyard or the stock Nazis. I hope this is one of them-always a pretty good looking and apparently running car-Jim