Register now to get rid of these ads!

American Graffiti Coupe Pictures and Myths

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Graffiti32, Jan 28, 2012.

1. buflochp

buflochp
    from Minnesota

If you ever watch "Guess who's coming to dinner." With Spencer Tracy, Sydney Portia, and Kate Hepbern, There is a scene where Spence backs into a blue roadster at Mel's drive in, looks like the same Mel's as AG.

http://autoculture.org/?p=1029

buflochp

2. "Her name wasn't Idy,.. and it wasn't' in a flood"(Sorry, couldn't resist :)).

THANK YOU!!! Harms Way :D

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  3. pont406

pont406

Any of you Graffiti fans have this poster hanging on your wall? i think i got this back in the late 80's.:)

Attached Files:

4. F&J

F&J

Not hanging but rolled. not saying who, but someone threw the poster, still in it's cardboard mailing tube into a dumpster, then it rained...then I found it. I should go look at it right now.

That car rocks, always will. The cars I recall back then in my area also had certain things that may now look odd....but not to me.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. pastlane

pastlane

I might still have 15 or 20 of them hidden away around here. Used to buy them in lots of 100 from Flatlanders

6. Harms Way

Harms Way

I have one that I got in 1974 At the Detroit Autorama,.. Has all the studio information on it,.. put it was printed on the back of some strange "Hippie" poster. It's rolled up in a box somewhere around here.

7. F&J

F&J

ha,ha...I could not recall the name where I got it...that's it

8. Spike!

Spike!

Have one signed by Flatlanders..always wondered who that was..or Ken, the guy they signed it to...anyway, i have one.

Spike

9. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As much as we all fell in love with this coupe,it was really pretty rough up close and personal. Here are a few shots of the underside (all found off the internet).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To make up for all the "bad pictures". :D
    [​IMG]

11. F&J

F&J

But that's part of what makes it a good example of old backyard hot rods. They were not show pieces like the famous old builds that were upper scale. Street cars looked funky underneath. That one really is not that bad...the K looks weak but most were cut up in some way.

12. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

That might look right if the tiny Nurses were in it...;)

13. Scott

Scott

14. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

I'm sorry, but I just do not see one single "wrong" thing about this car....
    not even if I squint or cross my eyes
    :D:D:D:D

Great Photo....(desktop material, hope ya dont mind)

15. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It’s my inspiration picture for all these parts. (still looking for the mini nurses ) :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

^^^ Nice start, man.

17. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

As Terry Fields might say: "That is going to be a super fine machine."

18. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Nothing rough here!....Just wasn't built from a catalog, I wouldn't change a thing....

19. Dave50

Dave50

Baron If you think thats rough dont look under or at my car.. ;) Just the way they did things back then without tools and money They use to drivem not show-em :)

20. This is probably the coolest thread ever.

XERB likes this.
  21. twolane1956

twolane1956
    from Mass.

I have the repro poster and I also have an original that I bought for my brother after seeing the movie as a kid. We had it hanging in our bedroom for a couple of years. I found it again while I was cleaning out my parents attic.

Steve

22. little t

little t

23. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

Don't Get Me Started!!! LOL

Attached Files:

24. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This will be my 3rd AG “look-a-like”. Not exact clones, but close enough to make me happy. I built this one in 1978.
    [​IMG]
    Built this one in 1990-91. I had built it as a full fendered car, but after a couple of years, I needed a change, so I built a new chassis for it, put a Deuce pick up on the old chassis, and sold that. Finishing the Coupe, I decided to paint it black instead of yellow. Kind of regretted not painting it yellow, so the next one will be.
    [​IMG]

25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The black looks meaner to me.

26. Yeah.I like it too.

27. Mickey One

Mickey One

I read somewhere that there were three 55's built by Mr.Ruth for Two-Lane.One for exterior shots,one with outrigger brackets for interior shots and one that was for a rollover shot that was never filmed.They all had straight axles and bobbed frame horns for the tilt nose.That's why the bumper sits funny on the Falfa car in A G.I think at least two of the cars have been located.

28. primed55

primed55

the exterior shot car went on to be the AG car, the camera car was sold and raced then found and restored to back to 2lane and correct me if i'm wrong but the rollover car was used in AG for the crash scene but they couldn't get it to roll, after filming it was sent to the crushers. FYI the rollover car is not the burn car that's a junk yard hardtop with a piece of wood to simulate the pilar.

29. Scott

Scott

Great coupe Barron , the black 1(seems like something Ive had in my head for a long time)

30. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

It Does look GOOD in Black mmmm If I painted mine black then I could build a Piss Yellow 55!!!!:eek: