Register now to get rid of these ads!

what can be done with harbor freight mill/lathe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slag Kustom, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Mickm

Mickm

I wanted to learn how to make machined parts so I went to Machine Shop Trade School at night.
    Now I have a Smithy Granite lathe/mill/drill in my home shop and can make darn near anything I want.
    It is a cool way to turn what you see in your mind into a part on your hotrod.

Cheers!
    Mickm

2. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

I have posted several times defending HF I have a boat load of their stuff. And have seldom been disappointed . Reminds me of the days of the first fuel shortages I bought a new Pinto as did a friend of mine. I asked him how he liked his Pinto and he said it was kind of cramped. Duh I replied I loved mine cause it did exactly what I expected it to do no less no more. Ya can't look for fuel mileage plus a great big comfortable ride. Anyhow you sir are a master, among my HF tools I also have a mill lathe I can only hope to do the stuff you do but it does the stuff I bought it to do turn spacers make weld in threaded inserts etc. I am in awe of your talent and ability to figure out exactly how to make tool do what you want. And by the way I think with my 20% off coupon I paid just a little over $500.00 bucks for mine. I wouldn't expect to run it 8 hours a day five days a week but the fact that I can turn to it if i need a thingie rather than run to town and pay someone else to make it is priceless. Hope to see more of your work to inspire myself and others!

3. “The tools to him that can use them”
    -Thomas Carlyle

4. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

some parts for my bike. sprocket is offset 7/8 of an inch with a bearing that presses in, bearing rides on a stainless shaft, spacers and a rotor i made lighter, chain tension-er, some cleaned up stainless bolts.

Attached Files:

5. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I was going to say that you can do a carrot shaped objects with that lathe,but i take my words back before i say them.Really nice work!

6. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

7. Nice work man !
    A lathe/mill is on my list of tools I want.

8. Slag, It's been a while I know, but what material did you use for that hub?

9. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

most of the stuff that does not need any welding gets made of 7075, plate stuff is all 6061t6 and formed sheet stuff is all 5052

10. 1lowbuckrodder

1lowbuckrodder

its not really the brand name of the tool,, it the person operating it that counts nice work

11. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

some more parts. alt bracket and harley rotor

Attached Files:

12. My hat is off to you. Great work. yes . The real question is, What CANT you make..........?"
    Don

13. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

cant make my self happy. I dont like the big alt so the bracket is listed for sale. going to make a new one to use the small 1 wire alt.