Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jag IFS in 1000# heavier car Coilover or bigger springs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by charlesmajor, Feb 10, 2012.

1. charlesmajor

charlesmajor
    from tx

I have a JAG IFS under a car that is 1000-1200Lbs more than the JAG
    Can/should I make this up with coilover shocks or pull the springs and resize the spring coil diameter
    Factors SAFETY-Cost-Ride-on going maintenance
    THOUGHTS???
    Airbags???<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
    [​IMG]

2. 117harv

117harv

No air bags or coilovers, just get stronger springs.

3. rld14

rld14

Shocks and springs, yes.

But google "Daimler DS420". These suspensions can certainly handle that.

4. What is the car it's under now ? what are your front and rear axle weights ?

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Coilover shocks IS the suspension for the Jag, just get heavier springs and/or shocks as well.

6. You might want to re-read which end of the Jaguar he is talking about....

7. charlesmajor

charlesmajor
    from tx

Yes I am pretty sure that the rear is coil overs 4 of them, but the front does have big springs in the A frame and shocks on the outer edges.
    I was just thinking that putting a coilover shock would be pretty easy, but is that the best answer for 1st Safety and 2nd Ride.

I know you guys are smart and can steer me in the correct direction. I will get the car on scales I think before I buy anything, but lets assume it is 45 Front and 55 rear (it has jump seats and big

8. Waterlily123

Waterlily123
    BANNED
    from londun

Me too.[​IMG]

9. Weasel

Weasel

It would help if you define which particular type of Jag IFS (year, model) - that's Independent FRONT Suspension in the original post. Also which type of vehicle (make, model) you are using it in. That way you can get some constructive suggestions rather than pure conjecture and hypotheses.

Here is an informative article on Jag suspension that may help you....

www.jagweb.com/aj6eng/suspension.php

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like the car in question might be a 53 Russian Zim limo. That is gong by his profile comments
    [​IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAZ-12_ZIM

Shipping weight on an 88 Jag XJ6 was 3792 lbs and the 53 Zim shows to be 3968 Shipping weight so the XJ6 suspension would work. I don't think I would want an XKE suspension on that one though.

11. charlesmajor

charlesmajor
    from tx

You are pretty sharp- Sometimes it is hard to explain. The car is ~3950 Dry and ~4250 fueled. But this car has been "operated on" in Russia and has lots of 16, 14, and 12 gauge in the floors and trunk that with the fact that it holds up to 7 people mades me think 4800-5000Lbs may be what I should be ready for.
    I am sorry about being vauge and I thank all thoses that comment, I am leaning towards the adjustable coilovers as that is easy. I dont want to destroy that ride or do something that would make the handle poorly.
    I have the orginal front coil springs so I could try to match by having a new set made that can fit that Jag IFS. I would expect that this would have come up before as these Jag XJ6 IRS and IFS have been used for a long time, BUT most people are building a car LIGHTER than a Jag NOT Heavier.

12. charlesmajor

charlesmajor
    from tx

Man there is a crazy amount of posts on here! in 3hrs I am like 7 pages deep on the list- wow

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012