Register now to get rid of these ads!

1954 f100 rear end swap

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by shelbro, Feb 9, 2012.

1. shelbro

shelbro

I have a 1954 f100 and would like to use a 9" rear end. What donor vehicle could I use for a direct bolt in?

2. No such thing. Figure out what wheel offset and tire combo you want to run and start from there. Keep in mind there is an infinite number of gear ratios as well.

3. How about follow directions and post an introduction please.

4. Mike Moreau

Mike Moreau

Shelbro, welcome. I did this swap in the mid 1980s, so details are fading away. However, this is one of the easiest swaps out there. I used a 72 F100 rear. The width was the same, and the spring perches lined up, wheel bolt pattern is the same. As I remember you had to buy larger diameter U bolts because the axle tubes are larger. I think we redrilled the stock spring perch plates and flipped them side to side. Can't remember why, but it made sense at the time. The pinion yoke on the 9 inch is closer to the rear end (shorter "snout") This requires a longer drive shaft. Universal joints can be bought that adapt the pinion yoke to a non stock application. I'm sure someone will chime in and specify the exact years you can use. Research a little, ask around and go for it.

5. If you want to keep the 5X5.5 bolt pattern you will need a 57-72 F-100 9" rear. The 57 - 60 will have shock mounts similar to your '54 and is the easiest swap.

If you want to switch to a car bolt pattern you will need a 67 Cougar, 67-73 Torino, 67-73 Ranchero, 67-73 Fairlane, or 71-73 Mustang.

Be sure you know the difference between an 8" and a 9" when sourcing out one.

As stated you will need different U-bolts and some driveline mods.

6. Mike Moreau

Mike Moreau

Moser engineering redrilled my 5.5 bolt pattern on the axle shafts and drums to match the Volare fronts. At the time, price was reasonable and may be less of a hassle than using a car housing. Not challenging Carbs & Chrome, just pointing out another option.

7. shelbro

shelbro

I will look into The options you have suggested. Thank you all for your input.
    Sense I did not follow directions(I have a hard time doing that) I will introduce myself I am shelbro and live in Vacaville.my 10 year old son and I are building a 54 f100,hope to have it ready for him to drive when he is able. I will post some photos when I figure it out.until then happy trails

8. Just put an Explorer 8.8 rear end in a 54. Has 3:73 traction lock, disc brakes and sway bar. Great fit with a 235/70/15 on a 15 by 8 with 4" backspaced steelie. The rear end was $225.oo at the local boneyard. Explorer has 31 spline axles and you can get parts on any corner auto store. MHO

9. 60 ford

60 ford

Welcome from Indiana.

10. shelbro

shelbro

What year of exploder? and is this a direct bolt in or do I have to move spring perches or any other modifications?

11. It is not a direct bolt-in. The over-all width is close and you do get rear disc brakes though.

Nothing is going to be a "direct bolt-in". As far as I know the 57 - 60 1/2 ton 9" will be your closest to a "direct bolt-in".

Is the rest of the trucks suspension stock? What is your end goal with the rear end swap?

12. shelbro

shelbro

I am just looking for an option with the least amount of modifications,I do like the disc brakes with the 8.8 rearend.
    I am keeping the front axle original and my thought about using a 9" is to up grade the original rear with another rear that is somewhat in it's time period.

13. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

i used a 72 truck rear in mine , easiest route ! explorer rearend is good too but more modifications required

14. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

yeah i swapped to a 5 on 4 and a half front when i went to discs and had my rear axles redrilled for around 75 dollars

15. pakrat

pakrat

16. robleticia

robleticia

Welcome from Texas!

17. Kevin Heisler

Kevin Heisler

Hi,

I'm swapping a 1972 9" into my 56 F100 and it is pretty straight forward... the question I have is what did everyone use for a U-Bolt? I'm keeping the stock suspension 1 3/4 leaf springs and the 9" has 3" tubing so I have a set of lower mounting plates for a 57-62 F100, which used the 9", but they used 2 1/4 leaf springs. If I use U-bolts from the 57-62 era then I have 1/2 of play around the leaf springs and that seems like the springs might 'walk around' after awhile. I'm considering welding some 1/4 steel to the U-Bolts... is there a better solution??

Thanks!

18. Hey Kevin,,,,,,did you noticee the date on this thread?? its also in the wrong forum pages.these pages are for INTRODUCTIONS...as the title says...