Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pertronix or HEI...?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GREASER815, Feb 9, 2012.

1. GREASER815

GREASER815

TIme to find an igniton for mr 50 Chevy, its got a 235 in it. Looking at Pertronix, but an HEI is pretty much the same money. Any pros or cons? I know HEI is not traditional style, but I load the wife and kids and we hit the road for the weekend. I prefer reliability over the look when it comes to a distributor. What would you do?

2. slammed

slammed

Pertronix in my '61 for 1 year, all good. What charging system are running?

3. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

I use a Pertronix II and love it, but as to which is more reliable, I couldn't say. I have had a couple OEM HEI modules go south, but that could be said of anything. One plus is that you can buy HEI parts anywhere, but maybe not so with Pertronix, I've never had mine fail, either, so it's a toss-up.

4. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

What about a ready-to-run style electronic HEI distributor (without the coil on the cap)? IMO that has the best of both worlds; stock look and easy to wire with a hot reliable spark. I'm planning on running one from Skip White on my 302. Just needs an external coil.

http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/detail.aspx?Item=6702-R

[​IMG]

5. GREASER815

GREASER815

My car is converted to 12 volt, running a GM alternator.

6. Helilog56

Helilog56

I've run the Pertronix for quite a while in my Stovbolt 235.....main reason was the condition of my distributor was excellent, and I wanted as much vintage look as possible. You can't really go wrong either way...!!!

7. GREASER815

GREASER815

Yeah, some pretty decent looking HEI's for 216-235's on Ebay for $129...debating what to do.

8. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

6 years on petronix and not a single problem. looks stock

9. tjd420

tjd420

from what i've heard, pertronix are junk. did you look into bubba's?

10. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

you heard wrong in my opinion ,i know of four that have been in service for years without a problem.

11. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Hey Greaser, be careful of the ebay HEI. I think someone on Chevy Talk got one and it's chinese junk Having trouble with it. I need to check the older posts to find it.
    Dom

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

13. ttheavymetal

ttheavymetal

14. rom828

rom828

Pertronix for 5+ years on my 390 Ford, no issues. The old points plate rides around in the glove box in case it fubars in the middle of nowhere, (easy enough to change back).

15. GREASER815

GREASER815

Yeah, that Ebay HEI isn't so impressivea after reading that. I have a pertronix laying in the garage, Just was thinking HEI would be an upgrade.

16. toucan

toucan
    from sc

got pertronix in two cars and they are great! good customer service too!

17. 52HardTop

52HardTop

It does wok for my 54 235. I love it and so does the motor! Buffalo is another great guy to work with. As well As Langdon. As some have said already, the HEI is easily available if one was to give you trouble. Mine has been in my car for at least 5 years. I have a spare module in my trunk just in case. Never had to use it.
    Dom

18. CAMSHAFT666

CAMSHAFT666

I have been having good luck with pertronix. I've been keeping the old points around (just in case) but I haven't had to throw em back in yet...

19. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

I've got Pertronix on my 283 and happy with it.

20. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I've had a few modules fail with HEIs. I've replaced a points dist with an HEI and noticed the engine started quicker.

Not a problem with the Pertronix yet. I installed it in a points dist and the engine ran noticeably better in addition to starting quicker. Crisp. Don't know how else to explain it.

Not to mention the visual monstrosity that is HEI..

21. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

I'm running one of these in my phaeton. Seems to work good. Odd configuration module so keep a spare handy.

22. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Out of all the stock GM HEI's on the road, You have a low failure rate. That should tell you something about the reliability of original factory engineered parts. Production car manufacturers can't afford to have the problems of some of the aftermarket.

Ago

23. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

I run points and have no problem :D

24. GREASER815

GREASER815

I'm bored with my points

25. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Over 10 years with the first edition Pertronix in the '32 2dr. and not a single problem. I got a little gun shy after hearing some of the reports about Pertronix failures so I bought a second edition and it's still in the original package, untouched. I'm planning on using it when I replace the flathead in the '38 with a 301 that's on the engine stand. I want this engine to look like a '59 283 power pack that might have been pulled from a wrecked car in '59/'60 and put in a /35-40 Ford and the installation of a Pertronix module doesn't alter the stock look.

Frank

26. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

Pertronix work good but reliable? im going to say no.. they would be verry fitting in the old unilite area, same basic thing... In my business we have some very big old iron in the means of fork lifts and getting points can be hard at times for these old engines so I have 8 units that have been converted to pertronix and if they get a volt spike at all they are gone.. I have a couple units I have had no problem on but a few with nothing but problems, and do not leave the ignition on not running.. Now im sure alot have had not one issue at all, but I keep 4 extra units on hand.

27. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

We've installed literally dozens of Pertronix units in customer's cars ... not one disappointed person or a car showing up on a rollback due to a failed unit . My shoebox will have one when it hits the road , without a doubt .

28. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I have used the Petronix for around thirty years. I actually still have my first one in my o/t el camino since the 70's, hasn't been run much in the last ten years, but whenever I want to start it it fires right up.Used every day up until the I have a brand new one on my desk I ordered for a cstomers 64 GTO except when he came to have it installed he already had one in the distributor I have one in the Falcon as well Big Block chevy wanted it to look period correct so I am using a GM distributor.Never had a problem with any.

29. von zipper

von zipper

Pertronix in my Galaxie for over 15 years without a single problem! However, when I added their coil,it run even better! So, I say buy both! Gonna add it to my Ranchero this year too!

30. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Converted my Studee (Delco-Remy window type distributor) to Pertronix and haven't had a bit of trouble with it.