Register now to get rid of these ads!

What have you burnt welding?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratty_aussie, Feb 5, 2012.

1. honkey84

honkey84
    from IL

Mig welding overhead on a trailer in a fab shop that I worked at. I was sitting down on a steel folding chair going to town when a molten piece of metal dropped, hit the chair, rolled down to the fruit bowl, and decided to stop right by my butthole. Sounded like a 10 year girl screaming when that happened.

My buddy that was working at the same place at the time was welding and had a piece of molten slag go through his boot, and burned completely through the webbing of his pinky toe. That was the worst looking shit I have ever seen.

2. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

inside my ears is always fun. I had one bright (ha ha) idea of just tacking a couple pieces together while I was in the garage to get some pool chemicals. I just so happened to be wearing flip flops and a bathing suit at the time. No gloves, no apron. just a helmet. Of course I didn't stop at 4 tack welds, and 20 minutes of welding later I went to the pool. that night my stomach to my chin was bright red and painful! DOH!

3. Hotrod1932

Hotrod1932
    from Oregon

Ear Doctor said I have scare tissue on my ear drums from to many sparks dropping into my ears.

4. A Rodder

A Rodder

All the normal stuff like in the ear, I wear tennis shoes so I get them around my feet more than I would like but about six months ago I had some sparks from my angle grinder sending a nice orange shower of hot ones right into my laundry service hamper. It went up in smoke for about 2 minutes before I realized it.

5. Kornflake

Kornflake
    from Pella IA

The sizzle is so loud when it's inside your ear canal. Then in the back of your throat, you can taste the shampoo that gets in your ear the next day when you shower.

About 20 years ago, I burned the carpet in a brand new Lincoln Town Car putting a hail damaged roof skin on. One of many lessons I've learned the hard way. Stupid!

6. afaulk

afaulk

When ya have big ears, they just seem to attract those big F--N cherries, the ones that go pssssshhhh. as they burn in. Ya can kill yerself getting a creeper out from under, dammit son!

7. super plus

super plus
    BANNED

When I first apprenticed in the body trade in the early 60s we used to braze everything . I was brazing a patch on one day using a home made push rod on my shoulder & on the patch holding it tight to the car . I was wearing the old style welding goggles . The push rod slipped & the end of my nose landed right on the red hot brass. After the patch cooled I peeled my nose off ending up with a gaint scab on the end of it

8. junk

junk

My buddy was brazing on a cab corner from the bottom. He felt something hit his forehead. Then again. He gets out to look and there was a shotgun shell sitting in the cab corner and he had melted the end and the BB's were falling out.

I've also done all the typical ear, foot gloves stuff.

Just recently I got some slag under the elastic sleeve of my hoody. I have a nice checkmark shaped burn that's over an inch long.

9. I was welding a ramp on the rear of a lowbed,doing an overhead pass on the bottom of the upper "I" beam flange, when a slag ball dropped,rolled down the lower flange and into my boot. Took me a bit to get out from under the trailer and get my boot off. Lost a good portion of my left inside heal and a weeks work. I'm more aware of my body positioning now.

10. wrench3047

wrench3047

I have made the mistake of that quick weld wearing sneakers. I felt it, expected to go away, finished the bead and shifted my stance. I felt it get hotter and finally got around to pulling off shoe. The slag was still red when I got it out. Smelled like fritos and bacon. Couldn't walk right for a week.

Read on another forum about a guy tigging. Well he was sitting on a stool, his collet wasn't tight. The tungsten fell out and impaled his scrotum. He doesnt tig without a leather apron now.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk

11. 2manytoys

2manytoys
    from Fresno

Many burns and scars over the years. When I was in junior college I caught my coveralls on fire in the crotch. Didnt realize it until I felt a burn on my.. well u know. Had to walk to my car with my books in front of my pants because of the burned hole thru my pants and underwear. Worst burn came from welding stuff while in a squatted position wearing loose shorts and no underwear (I work at home alone). Yeah, it got a bad burn. I now wear all the safety gear even when its hot here in the summer.

12. inthweedz

inthweedz

I was bronzing, when a blob fell inside my boot, it melted thru the nylon sock which in turn held it in place while it burnt into the top of my foot... Still got the scar 40 years on.. :(

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I watched a 30 year "journeyman" elevator constuctor toss a wire feed welder handle on top of the car and hit the wire ropes with a good spark. if one strand of one rope is compromised all 7 or 8 have to be replaced. $$$ takes a bunch of guys all day $$$.

what a dumbass.

14. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

Torch welding, had to adjust the piece. Stuck the R60 in my mouth to use both hands for a moment, except I accidentaly stuck the hot end in. Screaming and spitting out my own skin. Awful.

15. I was welding under a car turned on my side and a ball of slag winds up on my beard... had to toss part of a perfectly good beer on it. 30 years later, chopped the beard down to a goatee and the scar emerged, have to be careful shaving around it.

I did set a pair of jeans on fire. I was inside my stock car doing a seat mount, deffo an awkward position and I smelled something smoldering and didn't stop until my dad walks up and tells me that my pant leg is on fire. Good thing I had engineer boots on.

The dumbass award goes to a local stock car driver. I heard this from someone on his crew who was there. He was welding on the car late at night and noticed the fabric of the driver's seat smoldering. He closes up shop, says to the crew member "how far can it go?". It went as far as burning the car and his garage down to the ground.

Bob

16. bowtiemyk

bowtiemyk

If you have'nt caught on fire you're not a welder

17. One_sic_C

One_sic_C

I was grinding away on some metal and when I looked down, my Hoodie was on fire. That was fun.

18. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

My jeans and top of the tounge on my sneaker. Now I use boots only even if it's hot outside.

19. grease4life

grease4life

Had a one shoot down a hole in the thigh of my jeans an caught the top of my inner pocket lining on fire. I didn't notice right away because I had a couple dollar bills in that pocket which prevented me from feeling the small fabric fire in my pants. When I noticed the large amount of smoke coming out of the hole like a chimney, my first reaction was to smack at the burning to put it out. Of course this through little hot embers all over my whole package. My two buddy's near by thought is was hilarious that I was running around yelling my dicks on fire! What are friends for.

20. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

21. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

I spent a whole day mig welding a new quarter panel on my Skylark convertible while wearing a t shirt. Right arm had severe UV burns that made it look like it belonged on Hellboy. It took about two weeks to begin peeling. Ahh, the dumbassity of youth.

22. Golden BBs pass right through soccer shorts!

Luckily I'm a commando kinda guy so the bead bounced off my nut sack instead of being contained by snug fitting undergarments.

23. deto

deto

lit myself on fire first day of welding school.

No joke.

They started us on gas welding plates on a butt joint. I was putting way too much heat in mine. The bell rang for lunch and the bottles were on the other side of the table. I flipped my hood up and undid my apron and leaned across the table to turn off the bottles. The hood dropped while I was closing them and I noticed a burning smell. When I looked down the shirt had burnt up to my chest. It caught fire after laying in the red hot plate.

Feeling like a moron was an understatement.

24. Well i learned torch welding when i was a teen and ended up catching my shoulder length hair on fire. Beyond that.. when torching apart a crappy motor mount a bit of slag hit my boot and went around the tongue. So i did the "hot foot" jump for a bit. Still have that shallow pock mark scar on my foot 15 years later.

25. tjmercury

tjmercury

We were in Ag shop class in high school when this little punk know it all was trying to show another kid how good he was at welding and long story short, a slag bomb popped up, landed on the headband of the hood and...WOOF! (A little too much hairspray) I don't know what was funnier, his flaming head or when they hit him with the fire extinguisher!!! Aahh the memories

26. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Same here, last month!:eek:
    I have a tendency to weld outside in shorts and OSHA approved flip-flops. Burnt the tops of my feet several times!

You'd think I'd learn...............

27. Ahhh, the old "safety sandals"!!!:D

28. Wayne C.

Wayne C.

One night I was bored and walked out to the shop to "just look around" in my flip flops, not planning to actually do anything. After just looking for a few minutes I noticed a little spot that needed a little weld on a part I was building. Soon as I started welding the little sparks starting hitting the tops of my feet and toes so I grabbed a blanket I had for sliding under the car and placed it on top of my feet. Problem solved. Welding away and I noticed a smell. Something burning. Took off my welding helmet and looked down and flames were about 10 inches long. Hell my feet were not even hot yet.
    anyhow, hearing you guys, I don't quite feel like the "LONE RANGER" anymore. Ha Ha, Now I always try to have the fire extenquisher at hand before I start the welder.