Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just wanted to whine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blackmaria60, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

The only place I can find decent lowering blocks is at Jamco. They are 59.99 but shipping is TWENTY FIVE BUCKS! :mad:

I've looked all over, and honestly, I'm not going to have them made. Maybe it's been a long ass time, but I seem to remember getting them for $25 w/all the U-bolts, nuts, etc, etc....:mad:

2. ttarver

ttarver
    from austin

Try a local 4x4 shop and ask for lift blocks!

3. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

Check Summit Racing or Speedway. It's likewise, been a while since I bought a pair of lowering blocks, but when I bought 'em from Summit, they were about 25 bucks and they came with U bolts.
    Craig

4. Search "jamco" here on the hamb before you make a decision to order from them.

I made my own lowering block out of solid steel from the local steel supplier (2" blocks) and bought the u-bolts from a local supplier. Way better than those hollow aluminum ones in my opinion.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You can make lowering blocks very inexpensively from square or rectangular tube...use at least .120" wall, .180/.250 even better. Machine shops usually have this type of material on hand and can cut the lengths you want. You can drill one side for the spring center bolt and use an allen head bolt and nut on the upper side to engage the locating hole in the axle spring pad. If you have any spring shops in your area you should be able to get longer U bolts made for a few bucks apiece.

Ray

6. You should move down under if you want to have a whine about speed equipment prices and freight:mad::mad:

7. Go to Speedway , way cheaper and come with U-bolts.

8. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

9. bfink55

bfink55
    from Turlock CA

autozone....35 bucks for 3" just saw some there this weekend

10. I built my own.

11. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

I'd stay away from the aluminum ones. They break in half. I got a pair once for my Falcon and the U-bolts that came with it were the wrong size. I went to a spring shop and had a set made for them. Took them about an hour. Next set I get, I'm just going to make.

12. I bought a set at Advance Auto for $29.99 with a $5 off coupon if you spent over $25. I didn't need the blocks, but that was the cheapest I could find for the U-bolts, even over buying just the U-bolts alone in the same brand in the same store (!).

I had another Hamb'er make the actual blocks out of some scrap 2" box tube as with my install I needed the pins offset and they needed to be a tad longer to position the axle correctly.

13. I agree 100% and you can cover the whole pad. witch means no roll

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

FLAT RATE Priority mail should deliver them anywere in the USA for $11.35. That is how I mail starters and generators.

15. I guess some places may add in some cost to their shipping figure for
    "packing". It always kind of pisses me off when they want $25 postage,
    and when the package arrives it is stamped for 5 or 6 bucks. There
    have been many times on ebay I would not bid on an item after seeing
    their shipping charge.

16. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Build your own out of rectangle tube
    I make them w tube on end … that way you can change pinion angle and move axle back or forward.

Spring shops have / make the U bolts

17. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Shipping and processing and service charges have become a real good profit center for many businesses.
    Processing charges are BS because without orders to process they would be out of business.
    Service charges are just straight up additional profit.
    Shipping charges should equal only the exact charges by carrier used, how hard is that?

18. Blackmaria60 - "You can do it!", more satisfaction from building than buying any day
    (even better if you can make your 7 year old son do it)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  19. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I'm not sure what width the springs are on your car , but that's something to think about too . An example is a shoebox Ford has 2" wide springs & from what I remember (when I was looking for them) most universal lowering block kits are 2.5" wide . Food for thought .
    There are several places that have them in 2" wide in different heights - just have to look around .

20. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

All of us can relate to excessive shipping/handling charges.....with emphasis on 'excessive'. But any business, if it is to stay in business, must cover all it's costs. Somebody has to physically pick the parts, put the part(s) in a suitable container and maybe cushioning materials, etc, tape it up, label it and get it shipped. That persons time, and the materials used, cost money.

You'll either pay for it in the price of the goods or as a separate charge. And the real measure of the validity of a complaint is whether or not you would do the same thing in the same circumstances. On this subject, and if you were in business, the answer is most likely "yes".

Spare me the responses of how YOU only charge actual shipping/postage when you send something. So do I ! And, unless the packaging requirements are really special, I don't charge for materials either. But I am not "in business" and my 'profit' is often that I am glad move something I don't need to someone who can use it. Further, I usually have various
    boxes around from stuff I already bought, so my materials costs usually involves just some tape, which I keep around anyway. And my time, unlike an employee, is not worth very much.

But if I, or you, were doing this daily in significant quantity, we'd have to account for it somewhere.

Ray

21. hottweelz

hottweelz
    from So. Cal

Hey Blackmaria60. I know our website says $25 for shipping, but for a set of lowering blocks, we would adjust that price to around $12. Our website generates a shipping cost based on the dollor amount of the order as if it was being shipped to a far north-east zip code. We have it this way so we are covered for the most expensive shipping cost we may incure. Our website does not charge your card. We have to manully enter your order here in house and key in your card # for billing. We then make adjustments to the shipping charges. If you or anyone see a shipping charge that looks to be way out of line, shoot us an email letting us know what you are ordering and we can give you the actual cost. Sorry for the confusion.

22. Alot of online business sites have you put your zip code in to quote actual shipping costs when placing an order. Perhaps this is some software you may want to think about putting into place. The OP complained here bringing it to your attention but how many others haven't and just shopped elsewhere? I know I would.

23. jerseymike

jerseymike

just bought a pair of 3" blocks with the u-bolts at my local pep boys auto parts store for $32. less than half of any other price i could find. and they had them in stock.

24. Shopking

Shopking
    from central Pa

try amazon.com sometimes they have free shipping.I have found a lot of car related new items thru them.

25. You can get them from Bell Tech, DJM Suspension - a myriad of places for a lot less money, usually around $39.00

26. grf-x

grf-x

Well shoebox ford is just as expensive. But at least they offer a set for 4" drop. Cheaper to make your own I think.

27. slammed

slammed

Any body from Wisconsin want to kick in some CHEESE for all the JAMCO whinn' on the HAMB lately? SHOP around, build your own, have a guy fab a pair.

28. 35desoto

35desoto

I'll drink to that too. try being an old car guy downunder and then you will appreciate what you have on your own door step

29. 35desoto

35desoto

This is true - when I see that I consider myself to have been diddled again. If the postage and such is within reason I do not mind a bit for the packaging etc - however the ones that are a mile high in comparison to the actual cost leaves a bad feeling
    ebay thinks this is OK and take another bite at the apple in their control of the shipping prices - not a good look

30. marman1950

marman1950

Make sure you get the right width. Auto zone and 4x4 shops have the 2 inch widths but if it's an old chevy, ford etc, you need a 1 3/4 width. Speedway doesn't have the right one either. There's are for mini trucks as well. I have bought from Jamco and they were worth it. It's a good product. Also try hot rod and custom supply in Florida and I think Mooneyes as well.