Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '62 Mercury Monterey Mild Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pacificustoms, Feb 7, 2012.

1. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

Here's a project that I've been tinkering on for a couple of years now. After having large projects that seem to progress slowly (because building cars for others is my full time job) I wanted a car that ran and drove to build up and drive while doing so. My brother had bought this Mercury long ago at an auction and it literally sat out in a field until someday someone might do something with it.

My painter friend and I were painting wheels for my Roadster one day and had some time to spare between coats. He asked about the Merc out in the field so I told him it was basically a "one day" project. He asked if I wanted to paint it? I said sure, so there we went. I pulled it out of the field. We prepped it with what little tools we had there on location and sprayed it that afternoon with a quick temporary paint job.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

My painter (Kyle Martin) came back the following weekend and did a quick and simple flake and lace paint job on the roof.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pulled off and painted some of the pieces under the hood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. SLCK64

SLCK64

Fookin A!!!!!

Nice ride man!!!

4. Squablow

Squablow

Looks great, you knocked that out in one day? How many hours would you say you had in it? Can I assume there was no rust and minimal bodywork to be done? Very impressive.

5. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Now that is what I call a great day's work!!
    I like it a lot.
    Good for you.
    Cheers...

6. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

Lookin sweet!! Wish I still had my 4 door!

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ app

7. Shopking

Shopking
    from central Pa

Quicker than Macco!

8. Gator

Gator

Nice fade job!

9. shocker998md

shocker998md

Very nice!!!! Gotta love a quickie.

10. 007fab0

007fab0

What's up stranger, long time no here. stay happy Robbie. Shawn 64 Ranchero.........

11. billys54

billys54

12. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Sweet! My dad had one with a 390. Very torquey, at least 'til a lady in a Corvair T-boned it in an interesction! Ouch. I ALWAYS loved the tail lights on these!

You guys moved so fast, I bet you didn't even take beer breaks!

13. Movinman

Movinman

I love these 62 Mercury's. On my bucket list to own one eventually. Great job! I love the lace on the roof.

14. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Yeah! Th '62 Monterey was a very different car from the '63, wasn't it? One was sleek and threatening, the other more like a stately town car! What a diff one year made.

15. 390kid

390kid

16. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

We didn't do any bodywork or rust repair. Like I said, it was something quick that lasted a couple years quite well just to make it a little nicer to drive. I'm starting to go through it now and fix all the rust and issues.

We had about 8 hours total in the bottom and about 4-5 in the roof probably.

17. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

Shawn, great to hear from you. How's the Ranchero coming along?

18. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

I drove the car like it was off and on for a couple of years and I recently decided I wanted to work on it again and fix it all up slowly to make it a nice driver.

The dash pad was badly cracked and warped so I went to pull it out and an upholstery friend of mine was going to help me repair and re-cover it all. Needless to say, while pulling it out, I found out that you pretty much have to remove the entire dash to get the dash pad off. At that point, I didn't even want the dash pad, so I filled in all the holes and just decided to have the dash painted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. If that is a quick job, I would love to see what your painter does with some time. Car looks awesome.

20. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Very Cool.

I like to see other '62 Monterey's out there as every once in a while I begin to think my wagon is the only one around.

Keep up the good work.

21. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

Subscribed! Looks like a great project, can't wait to see more.

22. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Can I come over for an afternoon?
    Thats amazing.

23. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

Im trying to get caught up to the current state of the car... While the dash was away getting painted (using the real colors the whole car is going to be) I decided to take out the carpet in hopes of getting some new carpet. That's when I found out they don't make carpet kits for the Merc with the flat floorboard (not a big deal though) and also I found out that the flat floor board was pretty much non-existent. Even the hump in the center was rusted completely away. I'm not even sure how the floor held up to being driven as much as we did, I assume the carpet held it together.

So I built a quick floor and tunnel for the car. I kept the tunnel really basic knowing that the carpet was going to have to made from a flat roll and not pressed to fit the factory contour.

[​IMG]

While I was at it, I picked up some POR15 and coated the whole floor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

Trying to get caught up to the current state of the build now. I received the dash back from Kyle Martin from getting painted. These are going to be the "new" colors for the car eventually. The creme is from a Chrysler 300 (same creme on my Roadster firewall and floor) and the green was picked from a book of hundreds of greens. Also picked a new lace pattern (the dash will probably be the only thing with lace though) with more of a surf/beach feel to it, rather then grandma's old curtains look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I love it, great color choices.

26. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

looking good

27. speed v8

speed v8

28. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Nice! Gonna be a sweet car.

29. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

One of the hardest tasks so far, which deserves it's own story, was just trying to track down some side trim. The car has a really cool trim on it and it's a bear to find. Luckily I found a place that had about 4 parts cars and of the 4 we were able to come up with one complete set of side trim in very good condition.

[​IMG]

The dash was 99% complete when we got the car. All of the stock Mercury trim, the radio, all the knobs, pulls and everything was there...except the parking brake idiot light. I tried to locate one for quite some time with no luck. They used to reproduce them, but I guess they don't anymore. So I machined up a quick replacement to take the place until I ever find an original.

[​IMG]

I also went ahead and had all of the interior trim painted creme to match the dash. One the tops of the door pieces we added the green panels to go with the dash.

[​IMG]

30. That paint scheme is tits. Creme + Green = Greme