Register now to get rid of these ads!

This is VERY IMPORTANT

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by denis4x4, Feb 7, 2012.

1. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Please don't cause this thread to be shut down with stupid posts. Respond in a polite way to your representative.

NOTE TO RYAN....when Bob Wyman of W&H DuCoil rallied against the formation of the California Air Resources Board in the early sixties, we all went ho-hum. Consider what E20 will do to your traditional engine and get behind SEMA and their efforts to rein this in.

U.S. House Committee Passes Bill Requiring Independent Scientific Analysis of E15 Gasoline

The U.S. House Science Committee approved a bill (H.R. 3199) directing the National Academy of Sciences to conduct a scientific assessment on how gasoline blended with 15 to 20 percent ethanol (E15 and E20) may impact gasoline-powered engines, vehicles and related equipment. The analysis would consider a variety of issues including tailpipe and evaporative emissions, impact on OBD systems, materials compatibility and fuel efficiency. The National Academy of Sciences would have 18 months to conduct its analysis. HR 3199 will now be considered by the full House of Representatives.

We Urge You to Contact Your Congressional Representative to Request Their Support for H.R. 3199

H.R. 3199 acknowledges that E15 causes corrosion with incompatible parts. Ethanol increases water formation which can then create formic acid and corrode metals, plastics and rubber. The EPA allows use of E15 in 2001 and newer vehicles, but agreed to make it “illegal to fuel pre-2001 vehicles” with E15. A required warning label on the gasoline pump will not protect consumers from accidentally misfueling these vehicles/engines.
    H.R. 3199 recognizes that E15 is not yet in the marketplace. It is still the subject of several lawsuits and Congress could enact legislation to block the sale.

H.R. 3199 prevents the EPA from permitting the sale of E15 before the report has been submitted to the House Science Committee.

H.R. 3199 potentially protects millions of vehicles and engines that can be harmed from E15. The EPA was premature in permitting the sale since it is still unclear how E15 impacts tailpipe and evaporative emissions, OBD systems, materials compatibility and fuel efficiency.
    DON’T DELAY! Click here to contact your member of the U.S. House of Representatives to request their support of H.R. 3199. Under Federal Officials, Identify Your Congressional District Representative: http://semasan.com/lookup.asp?g=semaga

For more information, contact Stuart Gosswein at [email protected].

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

To some people this may seem like the Chicken Little syndrome, but it isn't..........the problems ethanol fuel creates are real and serious. I retired recently from the marine industry and we were having fits with problems caused by ethanol laced gasoline. It was chewing up fuel lines, corroding tanks, eating up carburetor parts, and turning to crap in a very short period of time.

Our customers were furious and aimed a lot of their anger toward us, because we could rebuild their carbs or injectors one month and the next month they would be running bad again. Every month we were getting letters from all the motor manufacturers advising us of what problems we would be seeing and how to deal with them.

The goal here is pretty clear, the powers that be have no regard for older machinery that can't handle these new fuels and it is a backdoor way of getting rid of them. If that seems far fetched to you, come back to me in 5 years and tell me what you see happening.

And what happens in California spreads across the country like wildfire.

Don

3. Don't bother writing your congressman if you come from a corn growing state.

4. Truckedup

Truckedup

5. moefuzz

moefuzz

It would probably be very enligthening to find out who will gain financially with legislation to bring in ethanol laced gasoline.

I would bet that the same politicians and senators that are pushing for it also have created new companies that will directly profit from the production, sale and monitoring of ethanol.

--It's just more "Al Goreisms" to augment the CO2 toxicity cash grab.

I wish you guys the best of luck in your cause because if they push it thru down there then the great white north will be looking for very similar "David Suzuki" legislation shortly thereafter.

moe

6. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I've personally never had any problems with the gas I get out of the pumps around here. Not sure what it is, never paid that much attention to it, but seems to work ok for me.

But, the idea of growing corn to make auto fuel is about as dumb as it gets in a country full of dumb ideas like that. Basically just a form of welfare legislation for farmers who should be growing something else and competing fairly on an open market without laws and subsidies that help line their pockets at others expense. That is the problem I have with it.

7. Special Ed

Special Ed

I believe this is FEDERAL legislation Mr Einstein, and has absolutely nothing to do with California. Thanks for thinking of us though.... :)

8. As long as the government subsidizes an industry it shall flourish and the benefactors (We the taxpayer) shall be further oppressed .

9. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

The House of Representatives is a Federal institution of elected officials from all 50 states.

nuff said, lol :rolleyes:

10. bobbyb

bobbyb
    from ohio

Your article says E15 is not in the market place yet. What is already in the market place is causing hell !!! I agree we need to contact our congressmen, but it don't look like this will take away what is already at the pumps.

11. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

it will only raise the price anyway,We need to go back to lead,,,,,,,,,,,,

12. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

corn is for eating..oil is for burning...who is dumb enough to burn ther own food? ....and not use ther own oil,gas and coal reserves ....ah never mind

13. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

this is a very complicated issue due to the politics involved. It is a bi-partisan issue because the Dems support it in search of clean air and the Repubs support it to help the farmers and the processors.

The ethanol industry is subsidized heavily. Without the subsidy, they would not be viable.

There is huge support for ethanol mandates.

This is going to be a long uphill battle.

Personally, I wish ethanol was purely optional and could be blended at the pump (some stations have this capability now) to your own liking without government involvement.

best wishes on a fight that will be a huge battle

14. toadyoty

toadyoty
    from Warm Beach

Best post ever!

15. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Elected Officials should be made to wear NASCAR suits with thier sponsers names on them. This entire problem is based on $$$ in lots of peoples pockets.

16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This sums me up pretty much perfectly.

Though I don't think it will be much of a battle... The pro-ethanol is the money side and money wins every time.

17. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

This issue is only a symptom. Government is the problem.

What about rodders that want to drive their cars working on other fuel sources? I'm seriously thinking about things like propane. It cost more, but at least you would't be supporting the machine that's trying to kill our machines right? It's almost too late but there still hope, we need to wake up in this country and raise up FAST.

18. Road Runner

Road Runner

Good post.
    I agree with the choice at the pumps.

But tell that to the free people of the land on planet X who get to actually elect their true leaders.
    They'd think you are mentally ill.

19. frank spittle

frank spittle

I have had no problems yet except with my year old weedeater. It quit running and after breaking the pull cord trying to start it I pulled the carb and it was eat up inside. Had to be the ethanol in the gas or at least that's what the mower shop told me where I bought the carb kit. I expect this to be a problem for me on other machines.....especially older cars. And our goverment could care less.

20. pastlane

pastlane

aside from crappy mileage, I have not had any real problems with the ethanol. I leave the stuff in the lawnmower all winter (it sits outside in the rain) and it always starts. Any good power equipment (chain saws, snowblower etc) I run the carb dry

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  21. Road Runner

Road Runner

At 10% not too many feel so much change of anything every single day.
    The question is - How much can we raise BS every year without anybody noticing or caring about the increase ?

22. Dyce

Dyce

I've had trouble with the snowblower and lawn mower until I figgured out the ethanol was eating shit up. I fixed that fine.

What pisses me off is what it does to food prices!! Used to use alot of that corn for feed. Now the industry has the cost of corn jacked up it raises the price of all of our food. How is that on topic? If it costs me more to feed my familly it takes money away from my on topic car project!!

23. H.G. Wells

H.G. Wells

Unfortunatley, the unlead base stock that is typically blended is an off spec fuel. They count on the ethanol to bring the octane level up. In my part of Texas most of the racks are set up to supply a blend. There are two stores that do still have conventional (read no ethanol) in Amarillo. That fuel comes from Oklahoma city or Big Spring TX. The tax rebate on E85 is gone, so the street price is the same for E85 and regular E10 unlead. I have blended some custom E85 for racers that built motors to run on that product.

I will post some of the detail on the tax rebates tomorrow when I have correct info.

One other curious fact. Ethanol cannot be transported by pipeline. It is hauled by truck or rail to the racks (loading facilites where trucks pick up fuel for delivery to retail locations) it is blended there for delivery.

24. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

my family owns a large small engine and lawn mower repair shop and the problems established with the engines and carburetors since ethanol and the tuffer c.a.r.b. emissions were inacted are just mind boggling. most of the older/better equipment was done away with because they couldn't meet c.a.r.b. standards. now they have taken away the adjustment screws on the carburetors on small engines.all you can do is adjust the metering valve/float and idle screw.the ethanol eats up the rubber parts and makes them swell. if it dont run right buy a new carb. and when the price of a new carburetor for a weed eater is a $100. thank your e.p.a.

25. 73RR

73RR

x2 !!

26. I think it's a bit more involved than that. Most fuel cells will have to be upgraded. How 'bout if you run an electric fuel pump? I've heard there are some newer carb kits with parts that will resist ethanol, but how do you know which one you're getting? The old style kit, or new? How many times do you want to rebuild your carbs? I know it's easy enough to upgrade your rubber fuel lines to a certain ethanol resistant type but I didn't pay attention to what it was. As far as your steel fuel lines, the old stuff will corrode. What do you use for the new stuff and how much will it cost, and is it available now?
    To me, the whole ethanol bit is a scam anyway. Even Al Gore has finally said that putting ethanol in fuel is a bad idea. Whatever the reason, it's an all around bad deal and it needs to be banned, not expanded. At least give us a choice at the pump. In some towns I know in Oregon, a few stations in town carry the ethanol free. I haven't seen that here in CO yet, but I can hope.

27. Jimm56

Jimm56

Thing is, o2 in gasoline has never been proven to lower pollutants or CO2. It started as a scam by A-DM to jack up the price of corn.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  28. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

So what do the Brazilians do to make their cars reliable? I also think food is for eating not fuel. If all it takes is cellulose and some microbes, lets make fuel from yard waste and tornado debris. Gary

29. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Some of you people really think our "elected officials" actually care what you think or want? GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!