Register now to get rid of these ads!

Calif. Corvette Club circa 1958

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I will........and I do mean I will own a '55-62 Corvette one day. I prefer the 56-57's but after watching THE QUEST this past Sunday I can't help but to love the 58-62's now too!!! Such awesome cars and the video that you posted only reaffirms how cool these cars look especially with the Sunny California backdrop of 1958.

The only real question would be how would you order your Corvette up if this was the late 50's??

1st choice- 1957 Black with silver coves and red interior RPO579D "Airbox Option"
    2nd choice- 1958 Silver Blue with Silver Coves and red interior fuelie car.
    3rd Choice- 1956 Red with white coves and red interior which I would take immediately to Larry Watson to put scallops all over it. :D

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I also like that Arizona Copper color too. That might be the color I choose to "customize" since it's so damn nice and would lend itself to some silver scallops or panels.

Speaking of corvettes, Where is Mark Moriarity on his? And why don't I see more of Bob K's?

4. BigBlockBuck

BigBlockBuck

I hate to be "that guy" but I have to dissagree that the corvette is not a hot rod, my 59 is every bit a hot rod as it can be. I know corvettes are classified as a sports cars and today most are white collar ncrs trailer queens, but many saw their share of drive train swaps, drag strip use, and customization. If that is not a hot rod, I don't know what is. Just because it is not a 32 ford doesn't mean it's not a hot rod. I have a feeling that Mr. Duntov would have dissagreed with you as well.

5. 2935ford

2935ford

Did you notice the gas prices on the sign in the gas station along with all the other cool cars on the road?
    Neat video.
    Thanks

6. terryble

terryble
    from canada

Thank-you so much for the video I just fell in love with my 60 all over again, going to visit it today.

7. 53choptop

53choptop

Love them Vettes, the mid 50's is out of my price range, but this will do.

Attached Files:

8. I think deep down all hot rodders dig Corvette's. Most just won't admit it, because of the Corvette sterotype. Thanks for the awsome video!

9. bowtiemyk

bowtiemyk

10. Great video, thanks for posting. Any idea where it was shot? I grew up in socal but I don't recognize the areas in the footage. A friend of mine in high school had a red F.I.'ed '57, been a fan of the early 'vettes ever since riding in his...

11. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Sweet footage! Oh to be living in southern California in the late fifties!

12. I did and I don't think that there could have been a better place to have grown up... :cool:

13. i am going to see mr. peabody and crank up the way back machine

14. froghawk

froghawk

Love the black one with the '56 Buick wheelcovers and that copper color is awesome, too. But how the heck do you tell '56s from '57s in these kinda shots?

15. pumpman

pumpman

I was lucky to get my vette 22 years ago and still love it. I actually had her out last Sunday with the wife and it was the first time I used the heater since I have owned it. I think there is a little hot rod in the early vettes.

Attached Files:

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Very nice PUMPMAN!!!!

17. pumpman

pumpman

18. Hard to place the locale. Guaranty Chevrolet on the 58 SDL places it in (possibly) San Diego) and the start looks like the Point Loma/Nimitz Blvd area, Torrey Pines on the checkpoint ... but everything else is unrecognizable to me ... dang I love the C-1s. I notice none had luggage racks on the rear lid .... that has always been a "must have" for me.

19. Thanks for the memories. The time was 1957 & I was 24,single & had a gypsy red 55 back then & lived in Belmont Shores. Yep good times cept when the Long Beach police stopped me almost weekly. I didn't have to be doing anything they would pull me over to check for license,insurance & where I was going. Most times I was coming home from work. I could be sitting @ a stoplight & MC cop would pull along side & motion to pull to the curb. Finally had enough & sold it & bought a 56 bird & they wouldn't look @ me. I also had a 48 harley & would get a ticket for parking on the wrong side of the street or no headlamp even tho I had two driving lights & the bike was parked @ a gas station.
    Times have sure changed. I drive the 66 now & don't get hasseled one bit.

20. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

The Harley in the picture is actually a '47- Last year of the Knucklehead. 1948 Was a Panhead with springer front end- A one-year-only bike!

21. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

It's tough, but the easiest way to tell 56 from 57 Vettes is by the thicker chrome band on the '56 hardtop. Mid- late '57s had F.I. and 4 speed options too...

22. bretcopsey

bretcopsey
    from DAYTON, OH

Dad's '57 fuelie. Originally white/white, painted copper with moon discs and lakes pipes after he bought it. He has said of all the cars he's owned over the years, this is the one he wished he kept. "It was just a used car then!" Stationed with Navy in San Diego early 60's

Attached Files:

23. stewdecky

stewdecky
    from Kansas

Here's my '58. Bought it in '84 and have loved it ever since. Didn't really want one at the time but the price was right , soooo....... I like the 58's because of the design differences from the 57 and 59. It makes them unique.

Attached Files:

24. pumpman

pumpman

Nice vette stewdecky, like the color combo.

25. Not a big fan of 'vettes but a '58 or '59 would be a nice addition to my garage.

26. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I always had a soft spot for 56-57 Corvette's, I owned one in 1968 when I was 18 years old. It was black with a hardtop, white tuck and roll interior. Back then it was just a $850 used corvette. Of all the cars I did own, I think that one got me the most exited at the time. I own some really nice cars now but the feeling of that car when I was young was different.

Ago

27. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Not to be a know it all but it's Aztec Copper. I've had mine for almost 10 yrs. The Arctic Blue 57' is a friends...and he's the original owner. He's used that car for everything. Drag racing, pulling a boat, driving from Ill. to Fla. etc.
    It's a 270 HP, dual quad, power top and window car !!!
    PA261031.JPG

P7091554.JPG

57 Nov. 2011 007.JPG

28. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

What an awesome video !!! Love seeing those 56 & 57 Vettes in motion. I'm kinda liking the solid copper look with no beige cove color. Maybe with black walls ??? Paint for me is a long way off...I got a quote from a Vette restorer...$12-15 K for a re-do down to bare glass...Yikes.

29. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Awesome video of a simpler time, and definitely a different California than today - kind of reminds me of the area we live in Oregon today (other than the palm trees etc.). Love it - thanks for sharing. For some 'weird' reason I kept eyeing that '58 Chev Delivery, which would have been near spankin' new - and was diggin' on the thought of 27 cent gas. I know, I know.... :)

30. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Great footage. I've always loved Corvettes, as has my dad. The '61 has been in the family longer than me. The solid axle cars are really something....

[​IMG]

We recently working on the restoration of a '63 Fuelie....

[​IMG]

And this not so HAMB-friendly '69 427 has been with us since '92.

[​IMG]