Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 Ford shoebox, steering box rebuild kit, where can I get one.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris Casny, May 7, 2010.

1. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I need to rebuild a 50 Ford shoebox, steering box and I'm having a hard time finding a rebuild kit.

Also I heard there are some specialty Ford tools required to get the job done.

Who's done it, how, and where can I get a kit.

Thanks, Chris

I did a search and I couldnt find the info, also Jamco doesnt have one either.

2. darodrat

darodrat
    from Oceanside

Try shoeboxford.com...

3. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

They don't sell the kit. I want to rebuild it myself.

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Trouble with steering box parts is the unavailability from vendors due to 'liability'.

Shoeboxford offers rebuilt boxes ($400) but no parts but for gaskets...Good site, though.

5. Try Joblot in Queens N.Y.

Restoration outfit they will have it or know where to get it.

6. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

BTT
    Thanks for any help

7. weez

weez

I need to do mine too, Chris! Let me know what you do-

8. big creep

big creep

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  9. 208custom

208custom

Has anyone used the Early Ford Kit? Im getting ready to do mine and wondering if there are any other/better options or if this is the way to go. Also, back to Chris' question about the special tools, any insight on this? Thank for the help, Mike

10. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

I am thinking I will buy this kit and try it myself. let you know how it turns out.

11. Macs sells steering box parts, I went threw mine last winter. It was real simple and didn't need any special tools.

12. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

thanks tudorfritz, do you have any tips or suggestions?

13. Once you get it apart you'll see there is not much to it. I would take it apart first before you go ordering a rebuild kit or parts for it. My car only had 46k miles on it when I went though the box so it didn't need much. It had some play in the wheel and it was leaking that why I pulled it apart. At the very least you will need the two bearings and races, gasket set, and sector shaft seal. I would also suggest getting the shim kit also, which is just a bunch thin paper gaskets. The shims will be used to get the preload on the bearings which are on the steering shaft. This will not take the back and forth play out the the steering wheel. To tighten the play up in the wheel you turn the plate on the bottom of the box, that tightens up the back lash between the two gears.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  14. WOW, just looked at the price of the rebuild kit. Unless you box is trashed and you need the gears I would just get the bearing and seals. I spent around $ 75. to go through my steering box.