Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What!!? another 27 on 32 chassis!??. Scratch build body.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mindover, Jun 5, 2011.

1. No worries! I will be ready when you are! Thanks David.

2. oj

oj

I am afraid to ask, but i must....what is a 'bun' panel and can it be discussed in mixed company?

3. Panels aft of the doors.

4. David your work is fantastic, I've been sitting watching in the background since i posted whilst you where doing the initial chassis work, your skills amaze even me and i have quite allot of metal working skills under my belt.

Great stuff

Aaron MS

5. Dave, if you can't get any doors off Phil, I've got a rusted out one you can have, though postage could be a tad excessive......

6. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Hi David, not sure how I missed this, but i did. I love looking at quality fabrication work, and there's plenty going on here, dropped axle, dropped chassis rails!! All very cool. I wouldn't mind coming by your shop some time if thats possible? - oh, subscribed.

7. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Only if you bring that girl in your avitar.

Phone me and we will organise something.

David

8. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Cheers Bob, I think I will get it done but its nice to have the option. You are not going to tell me you have a firewall going begging now are you?

David

9. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Ha ha, I dont know what I would call them, I got that name off this site.

David

10. You sure that's not Neil...?

11. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks Aaron, I have done metalwork for most of my life, three years full time and a year part time at college studying vehicle restoration (one year was welding) worked for some skilled guys over the years, did wrought iron work for a couple of years to. I am just old enough to have benefited from some of the skilled craftsmen that England was famous for at one time.

David

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  12. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

David This is a work of art!! To say the least. I am subscribed. Found this thread last night about 2AM . I will be ordering your dvd. Thanks:D
    Happy Trails George in Texas

13. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks barrnone50. I am glad you like the build, I am hoping to start putting stuff together soon, then I will feel like I am getting somewhere. I hope you like the DVD when it get there.

Waiting on my newly made front spring, should get new shackles and kingpin set tomorrow.

David

14. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Only on the weekends Phil.

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Wow David!
    Pretty incredible stuff all the way 'round on this one! It's good to see someone doing serious metal shaping and panel fabrication with gas welding as a medium. I have just recently been re-learning gas welding after many years of doing everything via MIG, and I happen to have one of the best "old guys" around town here giving me pointers so it is going well. I had forgotten how much control you have with a torch... It kinda means nothing becomes a panic because you can always get back to where you need to be with either heat or hammer! I'll keep watching and learning from you as well.
    Thanks, Chip

16. I don't have a spare firewall, but theres a swap meet locally in a few weeks & theres normally a bit of T stuff there - do you want me to keep a look out???

17. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Cheers Bob but I think I have all the info I need now and I have the firewall half made. I hope to borrow the trunk lid from Tony's car and copy that. It was good to speak to you on the phone the other day by the way.

Not much progress this week 'cos I am so busy with customers work but I will be giving my front axle and spindles to Bob (AKA nervous) to have the new kingpin set fitted on Sunday.

David

18. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I am so busy I am having trouble finding time to do anything on my own project, I have customers coming on Saturdays at the moment and taking up all my time.

I got my new front spring today, I had this made for the car 'cos all you can buy here are Posie 'super slide' style springs and that just does not look right on an early style rod in my opinion. cost me quite a bit more but worth it. I had the eyes reversed and its supposed to be de arched (don't think it is) The leaves are slightly heavier than the model A 'cos of the flathead.

[​IMG]

I may remove one spring if I feel the need. All in all I am please with it. I had it done here...

http://www.jones-springs.co.uk/vintage.htm

...for anyone in the UK wanting something similar.

David

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
    oliver westlund likes this.
  19. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Got a bit more done on Saturday, almost finished the firewall.

Friday Glen came over and took the gearbox (trans) off, cleaned out the oil and checked it out, a broken tooth but OK apart from that. The clutch all looks OK as well. He then fitted the shackles to the new spring and the front axle. We had a bit of a problem with the eyes which were a bit small so we had to open them up a bit. I will post some photos asap. We also did a quick mock up with the front axle, rear axle, and chassis to see how it was all going to work. Made me realize how much work I have to do.

David

20. Keep at it Dave, as long as you're working on it - its still progress

21. Still plenty to do this end Dave so no rush on getting the tub back yet. If there is anything you need let me know. Were the T sections OK?

22. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Hi Phil, the T sections are great thank you! only problem is they are not long enough do you have another one?. (got some cheek ain't I) I will be putting in some hours this week to try and get the substructure of the cowl area done.

Cheers David

23. Sorry nope - that was all I had. They're Tourer ones which I would have thought would be too long if anything... Right - outside to brush some frozen primer on to steering columns!

24. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks anyway Phil, I will get another section or make it. It will be a lot easier than making the whole length. Thanks again for all your help. Luck with the frozen primer!.

David

25. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I decided to stick with what I had made previously for the firewall, I made it as a bit of an experiment but it turned out pretty good so I am going to stick with it and just add extra metal. I would not normally weld on a corner in the way I have for the lower flange (below) but I did not have enough metal to create a flange. It will be OK when it is all dressed out

[​IMG]

I cant make up my mind whether I shoould bother putting any more detail into the firewall, I think its fine and I am up agains it time-wise but I may change my mind.

David

26. Like I said on the phone - if you want it to look original - whack some dents in it, drill some unwanted holes & work some splits into it.

27. Looks good David!

28. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Having got a new set of shackles, we stripped the rear spring from the axle and found that the eyes in the spring were huge, probably something others are aware of but anyway I decided to make up a couple of reducers to allow me to use the standard shackle kit so they can be replaced easliy.

I turned these reducers so that they were a interferance fit in the spring then pushed them in place with these in place the new shackle will work fine.

[​IMG]

David

29. Your firewall looks great the way it is.

30. Your work is amazing. I just ordered your DVD. I have no idea if I will ever actually use it, but I know it will find it fascinating to watch. Thanks for all of your great posts!