Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. ZigZagZ

ZigZagZ
    from LA

The May 17th 1925 race in Rochester Indiana was won by Howdy Wilcox's Cousin. The newspaper doesn't mention his name, just Howdy's.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately I was not able to download the race results of the September 30th 1928 race in Decatur Illinois. Search results indicate that Wilbur Shaw swept the event.

Shaw definately had the "right stuff".

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  2. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Well, the papers got that wrong more often than not, but Howard S. Wilcox (the one who finished second at Indy in 1932) was not related to the Howard Wilcox who won in 1919. It was just a name coincidence.

The Decatur race was won by Karl "Cowboy" Young of Chicago, with Johnny Gerber second and Wilson Pingrey third (but not driving the pictured Dodge Special). Young also won the first heat, Wes Breeding the second and Al Cotey the third. Cotey, by the way, was driving an ancient Peugeot, quite possibly the 1919 Indy winner! Shaw didn't show.

3. ZigZagZ

ZigZagZ
    from LA

Michael, thanks for the clarification on Howard Wilcox. Yes indeed, newspapers are notoriously inaccurate.

In regards to Wilbur Shaw running in 1928, I was able to find an article which ran 5-days after the Decatur Race. Shaw did win that weekend, however it was at the Sullivan Indiana track, and not Decatur.

[​IMG]

4. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Thanks for the clarification Michael.

5. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Satan's Bowl of Death Racetrack located on the Big Tree-Sugar Grove Road in Busti, NY. circa 1939-41.

Turn the volume down/off.

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Amazing... that the cars lasted more than one race. So, is it trials? Rally X? Baja / off road? TT? Mud bogging? or what? From what I can tell, the first mod is a seat with a lot of travel!! Gary

7. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

NASCAR pioneer and Hall of Famer Lloyd Moore got his start there.
    Photo of his wife in his 1941 winning car.
    [​IMG]

8. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

A new mystery Alco photo has surfaced at theoldmotor.com IT IS NOT Harry Grant's Vanderbilt Cup car (unless he had two) so any help with the ID of this car is welcome.

9. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Is that bolt loose on the bracket on the right frame rail in front of the radiator?

10. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Maybe...or maybe its a set screw / preload bolt.

At any rate, the hood straps are undone, so it may not be "race ready" when the photo was taken.

11. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

dont think it was the Isotta Franchini...

12. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

In his book "History of the American Speedway" Allen E. Brown lists the track as a, believe it or not, 1/5 Mile oval. It opened in the summer of 1939 in Jamestown, New York State and went by the name of "Satan's Bowl-O-Death" and also Sugar Grove Raceway. The track comprised of a main straight where the competitors started and headed for the mud hole in the bed of a creek before turn one then up a hill into turn two and then through the trees which opened into the back straight and turn three for the desent to turn four and back onto the main sraight. One source claims the mud hole was used for wrestling in 1940 and the driver below, Carl Conti actually took part in this activity.

Attached Files:

13. saacha

saacha
    from cloud 9

Must confess I was rather ignorant on Alco till I was captured by the above picture and asked a little at the club last night. What chance of some more Alco racing car photographs and perhaps a few words to educate me on this fascinating American make?Thank you.

14. We are just putting the finishing touches to a 1922 G.N. This is the racing model built by the factory to compete in the Brooklands 200 mile race. It uses the Akela racing engine which is V twin OHC with four valves and two spark plugs per cylinder. There are two magnetos and two carburettors. Castrol R is used throughout [engine and bevel box] When rebuilding I had the choice of three forward speeds and reverse or four forward speeds only. I have opted for the latter as you can always just move the rear wheels from the cockpit.

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Back on post #7707 I asked Michael Ferner if he had any history on the Ira Vail 122 Miller, shown here as a new car in front of the MILLER factory. [​IMG]

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

H.D.Carpenter bought the car from Vail and raced it for the 1925 season then sold it to Ed Yagel, who later sold it less the MILLER engine to Larry Beals. Larry installed a Duesenberg engine it and raced it up till 1930. The "Bugatti Queen' Helle Nice drove it in Woodbridge, New Jersey

Attached Files:

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

There are 11 ALCO cars that exist today along with one truck. This website should have some info if you scroll through it. Bob:)

18. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Welcome............

Some Pictures of the build would be nice.......... :)

(oh ........and do an intro before the Police arrive..)...;)

19. This Miller went to N.Z. [I have the bill of sale] and then to Australia. Now Europe [I think].

20. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Thank you.
    Been awaiting.

21. The car in the centre belongs to Bill Turnbull whilst the car on the right belonged to Don White.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012

22. I think that the first V8 was Darracq 1905.

23. Just waiting for the 'boss' to get home and she will [hopefully] show me how the get the images from my photo file to a URL format.

24. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

I think "the first V-8" text on back, MAY be referring to the first Harroun V-8. I believe this engine still exists, and is in the hands of a little known "eccentric" U.S. collector. He has sent photos and offerings of it to various collectors for the past 40 years, but no amount of negotiation seems to motivate him to actually "part" with it. Someone phoned me the other day, trying to remember his name. It was Easy for me, as he is quite "unforgettable" and very interesting...

25. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

....like your dad?

26. psalt

psalt
    from nyc

27. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

Billy Campbell who won the race in his Packard at the Visalia Road Race in 1913, is featured in a post on theoldmotor.com along with several other great photos.

28. onelung

onelung
    from Adelaide

There's an excellent summary of Harroun and his skeletal V8 car in the book "Racing on the Rim" - page 71. It was driven on Daytona beach in 1907, but broke its crankshaft before the actual competitions began.

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  30. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Can you give a link?