Register now to get rid of these ads!

What have you burnt welding?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratty_aussie, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Bit of a light hearted topic, but what or where is the worst place you've ever burnt? For awhile I thought lying on my side and one of those molten orange balls landed in my ear and possibly burnt my brain (explains a few things), was painful. Wow, did that all change on the weekend when I was sitting down miging and one landed right on my you know what! I dont think I've ever moved so quickly in my life.

2. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Always my knee caps. Id be welding with holey jeans,Always set the loose threads on fire and once my foot from hot slag............

3. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

was arc welding and kept dropping the used rod stubs on the ground beside me , finished the bead took off my glove and leaned over with my hand on a few of those hot stubs , got some weird looking scars from that

4. Beau

Beau

Eyeballs, skin, brain cells, rags...the usual.

5. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I forgot face and eyes ,,,Had flash a few times real bad.....Face just from the heat ,Mig welding without helmet and rags,,,,, newspaper

6. sledkid

sledkid
    from mansfield

mostly my hands and crotch however a good friend lost both legs in an accident so he has prostetics and a helluva welder when I walked in both of his shoes were about completly burnt as well as both of his feet and he had no clue....pricey but funny as hell

7. Painter D

Painter D
    from DFW

Had a red hot piece of slag stick to my wedding ring once, it super heated the ring instantly and burned my ring finger all the way around .....bad.

Lesson learned , I always wear gloves now.

8. chaddilac

chaddilac

My face is peeling right now from flash burns..... not enough spf that day!! :D

Burnt my jeans today!!

9. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

usually my self, my clothes, rags, and the yard

10. Lowrders

Lowrders
    from DUBUQUE IA

Exact same thing happened to me right after I got married. The Jewler that sold me my ring told me welding slag would not stick to titanium because it was too hard for the slag to burn in.. He was bluffing. I've buffed this ring more times than I can remember.

11. ols'kool

ols'kool
    from Wisconsin

Almost burned up a dump truck stud welding.

12. ray-jay

ray-jay
    from Buford GA

I've had mig spatter bouncing around inside my Fruit of the Looms. Lesson learned - be very sure of your protection if you have to point the torch at your crotch !!

13. Hahaha this hilarious!

14. Hellbentrodder

Hellbentrodder
    from Cotati

Same thing happened to me and I was wearing a glove, Just got in somehow. Now I call it my "perma-ring"

15. kaiter

kaiter
    BANNED
    from Cork

The Jewler that sold me my ring told me welding slag would not stick to titanium because it was too hard for the slag to burn in.. He was bluffing. [​IMG]

16. Back when we had cotton uniform pants made of the same cotton our shirts were, they had a tendency to fray in the same timeframe of being faded some.
    Fraying of cotton leads to a quick flashfire of leg hair, even with 8" lace-up work boots. Shirts will smolder and burn too if you've had a greasy work day.
    Don't use non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner in your welding area. It's main ingredients are acetone and toluene. You can or will catch a shop towel on fire, if not your own clothing.

17. Gerg

Gerg

cock n balls i don't weld now unless i am wearing at least jeans shorts don't cut it

18. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

Had my buzz box wired backwards and couldnt figure out what was wrong. Got pissed off and kicked the tool box it was sitting on and hit the garage door where it burned 2 decent holes in the garage door and my garage door opener was smoking and burned up. Wife and daughter came running out in garage and when they saw i was om, they bith got ticked and locked me out while yelling something along the lines of "your father is (then the door slammed). I just sit down and started laughing

19. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Lets just say that I won't sit on a stool to MIG weld anymore. Sparks can land in the crotch area....

20. choppedmerc

choppedmerc
    from Spokane

the inside of a trunk on a 70 nova. locked trunk and I was shaving trim holes. The keys were in the house. by the time I got back it was burning pretty frickin good :)

In the middle of the summer I channeled a pickup wearing shorts, no shirt. good idea right! welded all day and into the evening. I was really on a role that day! burnt most of my body, didnt even turn into a tan :(

You all know about putting a potato slice on your eyes for flash burn? it really works!!

21. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

x 2 on both of those (ok the ear was cutting out an old weld with a torch an it popped, but same result--lost someting like 40 % of my eardrum and sustained lasting hearing loss). also has a bit of metal drop throught the top of the safety glasses while grinding (red hot) and stick to my face under my eyelid. when I blinked my eyelid stuck to it. still have a discolored spot in the dark circles under my eyes.

just a few of many oops in the shop.

also have two angle grinder scars almost on top of each other on my right knee. and a NASTY scar on my back from standing up into the edge of a door.

22. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I've got a little something extra on my titanium wedding band. Not to mention a good scar underneath it.

My father melted his gold wedding band while he was wearing it years ago. He said he ran clear across the shop and dunked his hand in a bucket of water, it still sizzled when it his the water.

23. brianj

brianj

Had one lump of slag somehow slide into my boot. By the time I got my boot unlaced and off, I had to dig the slag out of the top of my foot with a knife. Not real fun, and a good lesson on being sure your pants are not tucked into your boots.

24. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One time in welding school I was doing some SMAW and I was fully kitted out with a leather shirt and insulated gauntlets. Some molten stuff bounced off of my arm or the crook of my elbow and went inside my left glove. I'm welding away and I smell something other than stick burning but didn't think much of it, I was concentrating on my bead. It started getting warmer in my glove so I knew something got inside my glove but it wasn't bothering me, carry on. It got a little annoying so I lifted my left arm up and gave a flick of the wrist and went back to my bead. All of the sudden it hurt like hell and I stopped welding, flipped my hood up and saw smoke coming out of my glove like a chimney, it looked rediculous. I flung the glove off and then picked it up and looked inside and it looked like cigarette embers inside. I stomped the fire and put a bit of water inside and went back to work. Good natured ribbing ensued, stuff like that is always funny, especially when it doesn't happen to you. :)

25. nickk

nickk

haha, ive been burn a lot and bad, most painful is slag rolling down in the ear canal, HOLY SH!t that is the worst period. ive had plently of small burns, but i have one on my arm that will always be there, one person distracting you can change things forever

26. brianj

brianj

ever use burning bars? YEE-HAW!!!!!

27. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

Was welding on the bottoms side of a frame and caught my hair on fire. let me tell you, fastest ive ever got off the ground and thrown a welding mask off. it was time for a hair cut anyways

28. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Hot slag in my shoe, it was a high top and took a while to get it off as it continued to burn. Lots of sunburn on neck and other exposed parts, and misc small burns. Also a friend jokeing around put OXYGEN on my shirt once and when I went to weld it went POOF and no more shirt, no burns from that one.

29. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had heard about that one before I went to school and always put ear plugs in, still do.

30. I have a 38 year old scar the size of a nickel on the top of my foot from the same thing .

Also never cut or weld over and open floor drain with a trap .

Brian